Change font size   Print view

Scoring January 2018

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Scoring January 2018

Postby Spent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Wasn't a surf weekend for me. Was an anniversary weekend with wifey and she was none too stoked to see me throw my board in the car, so I knew I had one shot to score and not to be a dick about it.

Held out until this morning and did just fine. Morning was small and busy and I knew I had the wrong board so asked the boys if I could borrow something to suit the conditions but as soon as I paddled out it was apparent a new swell was hitting. By 1pm it was pretty much cranking and the crowd was down to a handful. Got a enough to get my fill but not too many to wreck my marriage. Stoke level remains high.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Congrats. Always good when you put together a session in those situations and everyone stays happy.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Got out in the water for a bit on Saturday. Went with my wife and daughter to Otter Rock. Overall not a bad day, but I was having balancing problems. Trouble popping up into a good stance, and then falling off quickly due to said poor stance, among other issues. Think I need to do some yoga or something to help with that. :D

Didn't stay out too long as the wife and daughter wanted to go and they were my ride home, but I did get some good ones in there before we left. There are no bad days on the water, but I've had better outings. Seems like for every really good day I'll have a couple opposite just to remind me that I've still got a ways to go. But I'm getting there... slowly but surely... :)
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 am

I happened to be out at otter as well on Saturday with my nephew. Basically, if you were able to ride a wave at all then that was a herculean occasion cause that was what one could call junk. Fun junk, but definitely not user friendly. Nephew had a good time but we all agreed that ice cream head sucks and he could probably go for a hood with the wetsuit.

Here's a transcript post session this evening, comparing notes:
Me: Gonna paddle out at [Wisconsin2]. Not very good though.
Homie: How'd it go. Ended up at [Wisconsin1]. Couple bombs outside, lots of fun
Me: Yeah, had a really fun session at [Wisconsin2]. Total junk, but it was like playing gopher. Some waves jackedup and ended up being pretty thrilling.
Homie: Cool-same- tiny then huuuuge. Most of them felt like driving in a big ol' caddi w/ no shocks.
Me: Haha, love Oregon
Homie: If wind stays offshore out to Stonewall overnight...
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 am

Hey Box, have you ever checked out the North side of the Punchbowl? There's a bunch of really good tidepools and you can actually walk into the punch bowl so long as the tide is low enough. Take care though, I saw a three foot chunk fall off the roof and nearly nailed a couple. You just walk north from the restrooms parking lot and you'll see a State Parks trail going down to the secret beach.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby X-squid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:06 am

Scored a killer desert trek down in SoCal last week/weekend. Ended on a creepy note though. Was hiking a narrow passage through some boulders at one of the more popular spots in Joshua Tree (near Jumbo Rocks campground). The park is essentially pristine, so any kind of human garbage stands out. Saw the edge of something plastic sticking out of the sand. Kicked it up a bit and it looked to be a plastic container about the size of a shoe box. Dug it out thinking it was a geocache... opened it... strange geocache... a bag of sand?

No, sorry, it was a bag of cremated human remains. I got dead person all over my hands. Ruined my effing day.

Hope this isn't how the rest of 2018 is shaping up.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm

whoahhh...that is a trip! Wonder how that washes off?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 am

Weird lots of bodies have been dumped in that park.

Forecast looking solid next week, prob to solid. Or maybe to solid for me. Or maybe just tried of the cold. Hasta luego amigos.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am

Hey Pra- funny, we were probably in the water at the same time. Weird question for you: Do you wear a gray wetsuit? Just wondering as I saw a guy and a younger fella out in the water that day. After hearing you were there, thought that may have been you. If you saw a guy out there in a black wetsuit with a bright green board that may have been me depending on whether or not you saw someone fitting that description and thought "what a kook!" If so, then that definitely wasn't me...

I've been down inside the Punchbowl at low tide before. It was a couple years back but it was pretty cool. The tide started coming in, though, and I remember my dry path in quickly became a knee-deep wade back out, but totally worth it. Definitely wouldn't want to be trapped in there at high tide, though. Yikes.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

X-squid, have you ever heard of Gram Parsons? He was a singer in the early 70s who died of an overdose at age 26. Anyway, your story reminded me of his. From wikipedia:

Before his death, Parsons stated that he wanted his body cremated at Joshua Tree and his ashes spread over Cap Rock, a prominent natural feature there; however, Parsons' stepfather Bob organized a private ceremony back in New Orleans and neglected to invite any of his friends from the music industry. Two accounts state that Bob Parsons stood to inherit Gram's share of his grandfather's estate if he could prove that Gram was a resident of Louisiana, explaining his eagerness to have him buried there.

To fulfill Parsons' funeral wishes, Kaufman and a friend stole his body from Los Angeles International Airport and in a borrowed hearse, they drove it to Joshua Tree. Upon reaching the Cap Rock section of the park, they attempted to cremate Parsons' corpse by pouring five gallons of gasoline into the open coffin and throwing a lit match inside. What resulted was an enormous fireball. The police gave chase but, as one account puts it, "were encumbered by sobriety," and the men escaped.

The two were arrested several days later. Since there was no law against stealing a dead body, they were only fined $750 for stealing the coffin and were not prosecuted for leaving 35 pounds (16 kg) of his charred remains in the desert. Parsons's body, what remained of it, was eventually buried in Garden of Memories Cemetery in Metairie, Louisiana.

They made a movie about it awhile back called Grand Theft Parsons starring Johnny Knoxville and Christina Applegate. I remember it being entertaining. I'm guessing probably more than finding actual remains.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 am

Grey wettie.... had to have been Slater of Newport otherwise know as "Slabs".
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm

BOX wrote:X-squid, have you ever heard of Gram Parsons? He was a singer in the early 70s who died of an overdose at age 26.

Yup - definitely know the Parsons story. Was a big fan of his Flying Burrito Brothers days. I grew up not too far from Joshua Tree - have had many memorable, uh, trips out there ;) Glad I was in a normal state of mind when I found the box though - would have really wrecked me had I been otherwise. Freaked me out enough as it is.

Looking really good (and big) here soon. I really need a proper step-up.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 pm

I visited Joshua Tree once about 10 years ago. The company I worked for at the time was a big military vendor so they flew me out to 29 Palms Marine base to meet up with some folks out there. I had an afternoon flight the next day so I woke up early and drove into Joshua Tree since it is literally right across the street and I knew I couldn't miss it. I loved it. It was there that I experienced the most quiet moment in my life. It was the middle of a weekday in December, so I basically had the park to myself. At one point it was so quiet in the desert that I could close my eyes and just hear my own heart pumping. It was crazy. I've been in silence before, but that was like the complete absence of any sound whatsoever. It was cool and creepy at the same time. I spent so much time there that I almost missed my flight getting back because I didn't want to leave. Would definitely like to go back someday. I'll pass on the "finding cremated remains" optional package, though.

Looking to get out again on Saturday, but having trouble reading the conditions. Magic Seaweed is showing 5 stars, 6-9 ft. waves, and 15 second swell periods for Agate. Easterly winds @ around 10mph. I feel like I've been out in similar conditions before and have been fine, but other times was told it was too dangerous for a newbie like me. I once called Ossie's to ask them their opinion, and the guy basically told me that if I ever questioned the conditions then I shouldn't go. That was good advice for that particular day, but in general if I never went when I questioned conditions then I would rarely ever go... Anyone willing to please break it down for me? Thanks!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm

So the swell height in and of itself would seem like a reasonable size to go surfing. However, with the length of the period, 15 seconds, that is going to significantly increase the size of the wave beyond the 6-9 ft. Hypothetically, with that period, you could find yourself encountering wave faces of 10-12 feet. The east wind will keep those waves fairly well groomed. The guys here on the OSP are all talking about their step up boards which means they are ready to do some serious charging. Those will be some pretty big drops.

I will be interested to hear how the rest of the OSP crew responds to this one!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby X-squid » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am

IMO Tex is spot on - the potential is there for some really big faces and steep drops. Long period straight out of the west and offshore winds could make for some gnarly conditions.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf