Change font size   Print view

New Boards for 2018

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: New Boards for 2018

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Is your egg a round tail HW?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 am

My egg is best in chest high plus cruisey open faces. It catches smaller waves well but is a bit boring without some face to move around on unless its a nice lined up mini reeler. I'd rather surf the shortest fattest board I can find for grovel waves... or just longboard.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 am

I had a 7'6" squash tail thruster fun board that I sold to a friend. Was great on small stuff and I could surprisingly turn it fairly easily. I could surf anything longboarders could get. I wouldn't go with a single or 2 plus one for what I am looking for Thurster would be my 1st choice to keep things spicey and similar to what I ride when short boarding.

Rocket wide looks pretty sick thou. More of a normal SB outline. I've trended away from the short fat alt shapes over the last several years due to the time it takes to readjust to good step down SB. Dont surf enough to make adjustments and want maximized performance when waves are shortboardable and especially when they are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d2IGtqmePQ
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Yesss, Dubstar! Rocket Wiiide has caught my eye as well. Let's start to get serious about this, which claws and
in what configs? Gaukaka bros were mixing it up in the boxes with a number of combos...

Noah Salsa was extra picante on his RW review.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

The surfline has Tanner tearing one of those up, including body surfing with it. The soundtrack was silky
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Oh you mean this vid....

https://vimeo.com/273113617

I've surfed that Mexi point..... https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8185/8106 ... 59f9_h.jpg so redic.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

As for CIRW Id go for 5'11" based on stock I'd also go for alt tech. Those CI stock glass jobs blow and as a heavish footed surfer deck would be ping ponged after a handful of seshies. Board would be a good OR SB.

Fins I'd start with AM2's. That's pretty much my go to thruster fin and what I ride most of the time.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Looks like a Buzzsaw. And seems like it serves the same purpose.

Agreed on the CI stock glass jobs. F*ck that. I'd gladly pay more for durability.
Spent

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am

This could be a fun crowd beating, mush burger mashing summer fun time....?

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/spo/d/lib-tech-surfboard/6602994512.html
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 am

Nah that one looks like turd.... :D Haven't been impressed with the LIB shapes at all. It's the Lost...X LIB shapes that got me into LIB surfboards. I had a Puddle Jumper and it was a great groveler board just not really into the alt shapes at the moment. They screw with my foot placement. Also had Shortround which I didn't really like, but over foamed it and it had a squash when I prefer swallow in my go to's. If I got a LID it'd be the pick up stick. https://vimeo.com/208187532

As for the BuzzSaw plane shape is similar, but very different bottom than CIRW with crazy deep double. I've come to find a simple single with a V or to a double is far more predicable and reliable in our standard surf. I took a hard look at that model and it is not a groveler at all, maybe not even a daily driver and more of a niche board. Ride reports have indicated sweet spot is mid range hollow or punchy surf. Don't surf enough for niche boards. I'd say its more inline with Skate or G-Buzz. Noah Salsa claims CIRW is best grovel board in 1-3 surf granted SoCal surf tends to be more shapely. Also claims seamless going back to standard shorty.

edit for stupid celly typing in docs office sp errors
Last edited by Major Lazer on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

I love those deep double concaves, to help turn such wide tailed boards. My grovelly superbuzz is still going strong. Like you said, it can be an adjustment stepping down in length and I think that's where the BuzzSaw would come in for me personally. I'd roll the dice on it as a DD/ lower end board. I read all those ride reports on SurferMag also, Seafoam. :wink:

Saving dollars for the Qfish or Gbuzz for next year... we'll see... maybe take a roadie to pick it up.

Was going to try that Lib shape in Mex. Met a bloke who had one and he loved it in shite surf... alas a 5'8" Bean Bag interested me more. felt a lot like my 5'8" superbuzz but I don't think it would be as versatile.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am

For sure doubles on wide ones like the Superbuzz are great. Mine was one of the most responsive boards I have ever had. At 5'6" though it required some foot placement memory switching back and forth. Best session I had on it was when I ran over the Camp Witch at PC, which in turn put a nice ding in it that kinda lead me to offing it.

My buddy in HMB got a Saw and said it went OK on the slopey points down in SC, but best at local beachie in the mid range which is consistently steep & hollow and not much like it around here. Maybe if I surfed Canyons, Nellys, or Geteaten more often. If I got another Stretchy it would be 6'3" Thing V2 round tail for the goods or 5'8" G-Buzz swallow.

This is best OR shorty I have ever had and surfs everything from 2'-10'. Got it on Used Surf .com shipped for $340.

No need to make any changes at the moment. Saving for mid range good wave board to replace 2x4, which lit up in good stuff and turned and went on a rail insanely. Just a little unpredictable and not a round tail. Lead me to think no need for doubles at 19.5 width. Thinking custom 6'3" Ghost with a little wider tail than stock ordered for delivery in Sept.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Not a new board for me but one I've been really stocked on for summer gravelin'. It has a wide range and with
the bottom contours it's fast as fcuk and quite nimble for such a wide tailed board.

high_5_deck.png
high_5_deck.png (168.72 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am

That one looks like a fun board. Pretty much a HP fishy shape. You going quad on that or thruster? Much better looking than the their lowest end, the Avg Joe. That thing looks like a turd.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf