Change font size   Print view

New Boards for 2018

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: New Boards for 2018

Postby smithgrind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Spent has already wetted his new blade. I'm still looking at 2 weeks + for my so hot right now sled.

Trump is putting mad scrilla in your board slush fund right now so you can greeze the wheels of surf industries.

Nobody else out there getting some foam blown? where is the froth?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Would like to pull in on a new SB, but I'm afraid we've seen our best run of surf until Oct. Guess we'll see. Been thinking about shaping a twinny fish, which could fill the bill until then to some degree.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Had Shuler rehab the 2nd board I ever owned - going to pick it up this weekend. Does that count?

1986 thruster, 6'4", medium rocker shaped by Jeff "Midget" Smith (RIP - https://www.surfer.com/features/midgetsmith08-sgeorge/) down in San Clemente. Volume forward, squash tail - has some small hips and a bit of "v" out the back. Lanny put Futures boxes on it and fixed some garage rash.

Really looking forward to getting it wet again (last time it was the water was 1999 I think.)
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Would like to pull in on a new SB, but I'm afraid we've seen our best run of surf until Oct. Guess we'll see. Been thinking about shaping a twinny fish, which could fill the bill until then to some degree.

Totes fills the bill. New project, frothing in foam, garage guru meditations. Winter is far from over, homie. Mine the stoke!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby smithgrind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

X-squid wrote:Had Shuler rehab the 2nd board I ever owned - going to pick it up this weekend. Does that count?

1986 thruster, 6'4", medium rocker shaped by Jeff "Midget" Smith (RIP - https://www.surfer.com/features/midgetsmith08-sgeorge/) down in San Clemente. Volume forward, squash tail - has some small hips and a bit of "v" out the back. Lanny put Futures boxes on it and fixed some garage rash.

Really looking forward to getting it wet again (last time it was the water was 1999 I think.)

This counts up to 11! Mid 80's rehab will be like riding the hot tub time machine. Boobs, toobs and doobs throwback times when you get that Midget Smith So Cal ripstick back from the Lanny. Time to scour CL for a day glo Body Glove wettie to seal the deal. Time to get pumped up!!!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 pm

hell yeah!!! Git er done
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby X-squid » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 am

Hey SG there was never a more stoked grom than when I got my first Body Glove full suit - black, neon green, and hot-friggen-pink! And I've got no qualms admitting this re-hab is strictly a nostalgia/novelty trip.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 am

Those 80's thrusters work well around here. I had nice Casper channel bottom with glass ons I used to ride here and there. Honestly many of todays stubby and wider thicker SB's are based off those designs.

NOAA's predicting a drier and warmer spring and summer than normal. Not sure what that means for surf, but if were talking HP plan on small internment swells and NW winds. Guessing it will be the hottest summer on record....... :twisted:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Clamchowdah » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Any bigger guys who ride SBs around here? Im 6ā€™2ā€¯ 220 , and my 7ā€™ fish is just too slow and floaty. Would like to sacrifice some volume for speed and looking for recommendations for a board that works in PNW conditions but also can support a bigger frame
Clamchowdah
Mermaided

Postby X-squid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm 6'1" 215 and my fishy board is a Shuler Wookie. Thing is super skatey with the fat keels on; plenty of speed with a quad set-up. Mine is 6'2", 22" wide and about 2 7/8" thick. Love it.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:50 am

I'm a bit shy of 200 and have boards ranging from 5'8" to 7'2". There's lots of ways to cram volume into shorter boards. My 5'8" actually has more foam than my 6'4" but is the most responsive board i've ever owned.

I'd recommend an eggy 6'4" or 6'6" with a nice full outline but not super round. Such a shape could be super versatile. Go quad or five fin boxes to rotate between quad and thruster. Quads can work well for bigger dudes. Maybe 21" wide by 2 3/4" thick. You want volume under your chest.

X-squid's recommendation is also a good call.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 am

For an all around PNW shortboard I would recommend going with a mellow rocker. Nothing to curvy, say flat entry with maybe a little flip in the tail. There are a lot of good lower end shortboard designs out there these days that work just as well as fishy shape, yet may offer a little more performance. Just size appropriately for height and weight.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 am

Jonesing for a new Stretch but it might be awhile b/c they aint cheap. Currently secretly stashing Jackson's for a Quadfish... Maybe this time next year... This is what I'm aiming for... 5'10"

First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 am

Those quad fishes look good. I've had a QF in the quiv since a custom Shuler I ordered during the quad renascence over 10 years now and more recently a QF I shaped. They just work.

I'm down to 2 workhorse boards at the moment other than an old school utility step up. I like to look, but pretty stoked surfing the same low end short board 75% of the time esp considering my lack of sessions and cash flow.

But..... I really need something to cruise on when I am beaching with family and friends not really chasing swell and its small. After a lifetime of shortboards I cant longboard worth a shite esp on beach breaks and I've had some fun boards in the past for this so thinking a 7'6" egg from someone local would fit the bill or a LIB pick up stick.

Lost..... Crowd Killer loofs pretty sweet too.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Zzzzzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf