Change font size   Print view

New Boards for 2018

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

New Boards for 2018

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Got anything on order? Or thinking of something new?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: New Boards for 2018

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Wish I had a more "slashy" step-up in the 6''8.25" neighborhood. My current step up is more of a mini-gun kinda board. Every time I want to go up and hit the lip I usually end up doing a floater. Which are cool but not so much if it's cause you can't do what you meant to do. IMO the two best shapers right now are Murdy and Stretch. I'd lean more towards stretch though cause they have the cool rails.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Spent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 am

Just placed an order for something a little different. With a particular spot in mind. Should be ready in a couple of week...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 am

Wish I surfed a wave or sandbar consistent enough to order a board for it. Asym or something of that nature?

Murdey up there with Stretch? Wow!

Pra you should be able to find used step ups on CL or on the used board racks esp in the valley. People move here and/or think they are going to surf waves that warrant one, but then realize there aren't many spots that hold size and if they do they are loc'd or need a ski assist. Shiit I have a 6'6" and 7'0" I barley ride anymore..... both turn very well and surf vertically in the pocket.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am

I should clarify its not just for one spot but inspired by a few recent frustrations out there. I think it will be a solid all-rounder for most of the crap I surf around here. Not asym. My mind couldn't handle that level of detail... Pretty much a user-friendly mid-length 2+1. Like the Devon Howard mini specials, Tyler 'Hairpins' and FCD 'huevo ranchero' 7'2"
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am

One step closer to longboadring? :D
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

yessir. closest yet.
Spent

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Man....I am feeling like a total kook right now....when you guys reference a "step-up" board...does that just mean longer for bigger waves?

Also, I have to admit I have never heard of either of those shapers....can you throw out a link or 2 so I can learn more?

I held out for 26 yrs before I EVER rode a long board....used one last year up in the Strait...have to admit, it wasn't all that bad.

Much obliged,

Tex
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Pra you should be able to find used step ups on CL or on the used board racks esp in the valley. People move here and/or think they are going to surf waves that warrant one, but then realize there aren't many spots that hold size and if they do they are loc'd or need a ski assist. Shiit I have a 6'6" and 7'0" I barley ride anymore..... both turn very well and surf vertically in the pocket.

I thought this as well but a step up that is dialed in to your dims isn't that simple as getting a used one off the rack. Given one's HPSB dims and adding 3 to 4" in length, up to a 1/3" in width, and say up to a 1/3" in thickness ain't that easy to find used. I've been on the hunt for months on CLs up and down the west coast and haven't found sh*t. I finally broke down this week and have been getting quotes for a custom. Maybe if I was in HI I could score a used SU for my dims.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Tex wrote:Also, I have to admit I have never heard of either of those shapers....can you throw out a link or 2 so I can learn more?

Much obliged,

Tex

Here ya go - https://www.surfboardsbydonaldtakayama. ... cial-mini/

http://www.tylersurfboards.com/product-page/hairpin

http://www.fcdsurfboards.com/quiver/201 ... o-ranchero

2+1 fin config is very common with this shape.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Murdey up there with Stretch? Wow!

Well that's to say Stretch for shredability and Murdey for NW specific boards. They aren't really comparable but I like what I've seen with both them.

In any case, probably won't be getting any thing any time soon. Reached my allocated surfing budget for the near future but if I could get another board then it would be that 6'8" size. Had a few of those before that I liked.

Tex, to me "step up" pretty much means what you said. Something a little longer for fall size waves.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Those mid length egg shapes look fun. If I had one prob only board I'd ride at Shortsands, even on the rare occasion when it was good enough for a SB. Was thinking of getting a LibTech Pick Up Stick for my daughter and I to share.

Honestly don't be to picky, your only gonna ride a few to a handful of times a year. I really wouldn't go wider on a step up, longer and thicker but not really wider. In fact my step us is narrower than my go to SB, but I don't ride a HPSB's. Just sold a Stretch I rarely rode. Really like the step down SB's Sub Scorcher, Sub Driver, Sampler, Pyzalean etc. And I wouldn't get anything from HI either unless you surf the #$%*. In my mind a domesticated HPSB with a round pin is a step up around here.

Your pretty skinny but these look good:

http://store.stretchboards.com/product/ ... -eps-epoxy
http://store.stretchboards.com/product/ ... -6-x-2-625

Off the rack these Ghosts and Bastards look like good steps......

https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/pyzel-surfboards
Last edited by Major Lazer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm

surf education is always a good thing....see BOX, even an ol dog like me can still pick up some knowledge here on the OSP.
Tex

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Tex wrote:surf education is always a good thing....see BOX, even an ol dog like me can still pick up some knowledge here on the OSP.

Ha! Reading through forums like this and the fins one is like trying to understand a foreign language to me. It's like I know people are talking about surfing, but I don't comprehend a word being said...

But, IMO, like learning a foreign language the best way to go is through total immersion. So... aqui estoy :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Just keep observing and asking questions when shite doesn't make sense....

I think you made a good point about how much longer the waves were "running" in CA vs. "dumping" in Oregon. ML nailed it, waves that peel along a consistent line are usually moving a long a point and over a reef. Sand bars create more of a dumping action unless the sandbar has troughs/channels on the sides of each bar.
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf