Change font size   Print view

Spot name coast beer

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Spot name coast beer

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 am

Since surfing isn't happening any time soon, where's the best watering holes on the coast?

I think Yachats Brewery is probably the best beer I've had at a brewery on the coast. De Garde Brewing in Tillamook is doing some different next level brewing. Any one try any of those two places? I highly recommend either for a unique experience.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Re: Spot name coast beer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:53 am

Haven't even checked the forecast.... may never surf OR again. Fug this piss. I need to move to San Diego or Ventura! :D

Still a fan of the hops, but I hear ya….. the juicy New England style hoppy beers have changed the whole IPA game for me and lots of others.

As for the coast, slim pickings. I usually bring my own or drink Raindogs. Rouge blows esp their business model, although I have fond memories of turning 21 and regular forays at the OG Rouge location in Ashland before the 96 El Nino floods trashed the place and they moved to Newport. The beer was good and fresh back then. Pelican pretty much sucks too, although they are palatable. Regardless I am convinced their development killed the sand transport that set up the point. Both have a monopoly on the coast it seems.

Agreed on De Garde my buddies trendy brewery here in PDX did a colab with them and until then had no idea that place was even there.

Astoria is kingpin, but I consider that semi-costal at least from a surf perspective. Ft George is easily one of my all-time favs. Buoy is pretty good too.

So funny when I stumbled upon the Yahats Brewery and “Garden (grow) Store”. I lived in that rad little village in the late 90’s and there were only a few dive bars. One was Lesters, now the pub. Place was like going back in time. Lester was an old boxer in his 80’s and was still known to break up fights. Taps were 60 cents and bottles of beer were maybe a dollar. He even had and used an old antique cash register. He lived upstairs and so did a few of the local drunks. Crowd was always an interesting mix of coasties, artists, gays, and hippes living on a commune up the river. It was fair game to light up a dooby in the bar long before medical or legalization. Anyways back to the brewery…. last time I was down there I didn’t make it in was trying to get away from all that coming for PTown, but have heard good reviews.

Devils River? Think that is the name in CB is supposed to be good. And Arc Cape located in a remote location near Gold Beach is good. A tap house I frequent here keeps their golden lager on tap as a constant house beer.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm

I can't really weigh in any more with any authority on this thread. Honestly when I was drinking, l loved the cheap shite. Oly and Ranier were my go-to brews. So with that, I would vote for the Dune!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm

Seconding Yachats Brewery. Good stuff. There's also a new place up by the OCCC in Newport, "Wolf Tree Brewery & Taproom" that I've heard good things about. I tried a sample once at an event and I thought it was pretty good. Keep meaning to drop in and try out some more.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

I need to move to San Diego or Ventura!
Moving to California is like trying to piss into the wind caused by the vortices of bumper to bumper cars all traveling at 30 MPH over the speed limit. Good luck, I probably would too if I had a million dollar per month in.

Rouge blows
Legend has it that they ruled until the patriarch passed away while leaving Rogues future to his highly business minded son who stopped treating it like a craft brewery and started treating it more like a financial asset. Probably was even cooler in Ashland. Had no idea they were originally in Ashland.

Pelican pretty much sucks too, although they are palatable. Regardless I am convinced their development killed the sand transport that set up the point. Both have a monopoly on the coast it seems.

PREACH! Love the shower, hate that their selling tickets to the gang rape of Cape Kiwanda; the geological feature that use to have a beautiful pristine soul.

I've had the Gold Beach beer and thought that it passed muster. I'd love to visit the brewery some time. Also, Gold Beach has one of the top five skateparks of all time.

In that direction, 7 Devils brewery in Coos Bay is definitely worth checking out. More restaurant than brew pub though and kinda spendy.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm

BOX wrote:Seconding Yachats Brewery. Good stuff. There's also a new place up by the OCCC in Newport, "Wolf Tree Brewery & Taproom" that I've heard good things about. I tried a sample once at an event and I thought it was pretty good. Keep meaning to drop in and try out some more.

I'm totally down for a six pack of Wolf Tree if you want to choose to give me that when you hand over the pre-rolled that has yet to happen for some probably good reason :twisted:

Why is there no surf?!?!
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby smithgrind » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

The Arch Rock Lager is quite nice.
I haven't tasted a Rogue in over a decade.
Fort George and Buoy are consistently tasty beers.

No surf because it's the middle of the winter season and it finally decided to show up. We were so spoiled
in Nov. and Dec.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 am

pra_ggresion wrote: Moving to California is like trying to piss into the wind caused by the vortices of bumper to bumper cars all traveling at 30 MPH over the speed limit. Good luck, I probably would too if I had a million dollar per month in.

Yeah I hear ya… mostly kidding but the thought always crosses my mind when I pass through or spend some time in those zones. I lived in "NorCal" and loved every minute of it. Additionally I am not a native Oregonian, so I am not really a CA hater. I really cant blame families for moving here, its the developers I don't like and there is plenty of Oregon money in the game too.

I live in Portland and own a home I bought 12 years ago for a fair price. In my mind PDX is pretty much close to the cost of living in CA these days and in my field there seems to be less opportunity here. Plus as I get older easier access to waves and warmer water sound better even if it’s crowded. I realized I have less pain (arthritis from skating and snowboarding injuries) in drier climates. I have a few buddies who make it work and don’t make a million and are able to surf around the crowds. They get out 1-5 times a week and still maintain work and family obligations. Plus so close to strike missions south of the boarder.

I love Oregon and moved here 28 years ago, but Portland is not exactly my cup of tea. It’s not as easy as it used to be to eeke out a living as a sole providing middle class technical professional supporting a family of 4 without going into management and basically working you @ss off. What fun is living here if you can’t participate in the lifestyle that brought you here in the 1st place?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

smithgrind wrote:We were so spoiled in Nov. and Dec.

I have to agree, although Nov was pretty hit or miss. I only surfed once or twice. But from late Aug through most of Jan (October were my best HQ sessions) was pretty darn good for this neck of the woods. Looks like it is time to put the ski pass I bought to use.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:28 pm

ML....do you do GIS work by chance?
Tex

Postby BOX » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm totally down for a six pack of Wolf Tree if you want to choose to give me that when you hand over the pre-rolled that has yet to happen for some probably good reason

If only I knew you were at Otter that day... I'll fill up a growler just in case my next time out. Having a preroll for after is usually a given :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 am

Major Lazer wrote:I love Oregon and moved here 28 years ago, but Portland is not exactly my cup of tea. It’s not as easy as it used to be to eeke out a living as a sole providing middle class technical professional supporting a family of 4 without going into management and basically working you @ss off. What fun is living here if you can’t participate in the lifestyle that brought you here in the 1st place?

Times change. I’ve lived here for 25 years and I can hear where you’re coming from. Thing is we, the city, and our stations in life are always evolving...Sometimes not for the better.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Moved to Eugene from Seattle in 93....then lived in Manzanita almost to 95. Moved to Seattle and San Antonio for a while and then made it to Portland in 2001. So going on 17 years here which seems crazy. Long story short, I am done with PDX. Totally over it. Soon as my kids are done with HS, me and the lady are out. Got family in the San Juans, might migrate closer to them.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 am

Saw a funny sticker that was like "Make Portland Suck Again" or something of that nature. Spending the weekend in the hood, one of the 1st in months. Friends band played a family friendly show Fri that was rad. Ran a few errands yest on bike and checked out new Tequila bar. Still cool IMO. We have meet lots of families over the years and have many good friends. The vibe is still here, I'm just afraid were on the verge of the tipping point as people who have been here as long as we have, start to think about cashing out and moving elsewhere. Thoughts I often have, but my wife and kids love it. Me.... my happy place is in the water and just need more waves and maybe more surf trips, 49 days last year was a new low point. But you know what they say... "happy wife happy life".
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am

I was at a wedding a few years back and one of the old timers, 30+years married asked me if I ever heard the second part of that saying and I said, nope:

Happy Wife/Happy Life....Happy Husband/Angry Wife....damn near shite myself laughing so hard.

49 SESSIONS.....YOU ARE LIVING MY DREAM brother....now I have to do some deep soul searching, thanks.
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf