Change font size   Print view

February Fresh Sesh Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

February Fresh Sesh Report

Postby Tex » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am

Write em up and drop all the gory details here when your done. Good luck, you guys got some pretty darn good sessions last month. Let's hope Feb drops us some nuggets.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: February Fresh Sesh Report

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am

Did have one session in the midst of that 2 week mess. Suffice to say, couldn't make it to the outside cause the rip decided to reverse polarity and couldn't punch through going straight out. Drove to the next spot in wetsuit and the washing machine current was impossible to figure out. Got 4 meh waves in the midst of 4 hikes back to the rip. Felt clean again afterwards though.

Then two days ago had areally good solo sesh at Agate. Figured there would be more people out given the report but I guess people were skeptical given the previous 2 weeks of junk. It was suppose to be a lot bigger but still well overhead. Felt like I surfed pretty well and got several long thick walls. Later that evening sessioned SB. Got two meh waves. Looks like a bunch of good windows will show up next week.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 am

Nothing fresh yet other than the loaded potato skins I made for a superbowl party yesterday. Looked surfable all weekend, but wife was out of town and didn't have or look worth the motivation to pack up the kids and head over. "The Dream" is dying quick as I close in on the 3 week dry mark. :|
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Maintenance session to get the paddle muscles moving yesterday. Pretty marginal conditions but new board and a couple of waves renewed the stoke For The Dream.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Major Lazer wrote:"The Dream" is dying quick as I close in on the 3 week dry mark. :|
C'mon meng! those Moroccan right hand pointers are still fresh as far as the dream timeline goes.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Was that your first sober superbowl? I remember mine, felt like some weird out of body experience.
I was stoked that the Eagles won, got a whole bunch of family from Philly, they were texting me all night during the game. I think they are still burning cars.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I haven't been out in a few weeks, either. I took tomorrow afternoon off to finally get in the water though, so I'll let you all know how it goes.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Almost epic today. Wisconsin spurned me but Agate had the goods even though it wasn't as big as it should have been. Slightly overhead and glassy. If it had been tubing then it would have been epic. As it was, smooth roll in drops to what looked like it'd close out but the wave had enough oomph to propel down the line with a couple pumps. Whence with all that speed there was plenty of lip to hit, come down, jam your back foot down so as not to bury the nose, give out a war cry or roll up the windows depending. Pretty amped. Watch out for the rip if you surf there soon. It's generally pushing towards the shore unless you really hug the cliffside and there's a thumpy bar closing out the channel that could push a person into that boneyard if they were to panic and didn't know how to duckdive/turtleroll.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Took the day off.... not really because I wanted to. More because I had to. Project work has been pretty dry for me as of late, which is starting to get a tad bit scary. But that's another story :roll: So instead of networking, job hunting, and the professional development I should of been doing as a sole providing middle class Portlander (did I just say that), went sarfing.

Looked alright (nothing epic like Morocco) and nothing like Dec's butter when I pulled in, but pretty quiet. Swell not living up to buoy data either. Suited booted and spent the 1st 45 minutes bogging on my step down shortboard. Shoulda opted for deer heads vs social securities.... oh well. Looked pretty snappy thou and figured I'd be tuned after 10 days in Moroc, but alas it had been almost 3 weeks. Out of sync out of step.... city life does no good and I dont care how many fooking shops there are here now. This is no place to be a aging (or even young) surfer.

But I digress..... tide was filling so went in and grabbed the Pavel Rainbow twinny and pearled on my first and best looking wave. Eventually dialed it in mostly went fast and straight on my forehand taking off super deep high lining off the drop and working it into the channel. Yeah kinda gets boring for me, like turning more, but had one little head dip on inside double up. Had some backsiders too that did allow for a wrapty wrap wrap. Keels feeling better on backhand after a few surfs on this board this winter.

Ended up being a 4 hour sesh, so guess it kept me interested and I was living in moment the vs worrying about the future. But on drive home started worrying about traffic killing the vibe and how pissed I was going to get like I often can, but after some BS around 185th, the fooking Sylvan wasn't that bad. Made that illegal U turn off of Kirby and blazed up the hipster hwy and got home just in time to see my daughters still playing out front before dinner. Days are getting longer......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Nice ML, sounds like a score in my book. Today was smaller and cleaner with blue skies and clear water. Weather was pleasant. Got skunked on an hour drive only to come back home to the same spot and after one glance, it was apparent that I never really had to leave home after all. Had lots of fun. Back paddling valley rippers tried to harsh my mellow but they failed.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Lefts on the Agate cam looked good. Fast.... For whatever reason cam was in free mode, no adds or refresh times. Maybe it was the Oregon "cam of the day"? Either way wish I was surfing today. May head back out on Fri.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Lefts on the Agate cam looked good. Fast.... For whatever reason cam was in free mode, no adds or refresh times. Maybe it was the Oregon "cam of the day"? Either way wish I was surfing today. May head back out on Fri.

Wait what? The usual one on the radio tower? Save the surf for Sunday, Tuesday or after if there's flexibility.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby smithgrind » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Opted out of earning a living today and motored to the cove with PTO Slimvest. Twenty or so heads sitting on the same
peak and two janitors sweeping around to the north. Not stocked in the slightest. Fired up the hoopty and went sight
seeing at the usual spots south for an hour or so.
Back to the scene of the sublime and noticed some clean rights up north peeling free of human contact. Choke Outs looked
decent with only two dicks swinging on it but we both wanted rights today so we passed on the long walk. We had that peak to ourselves for two hours. Lots of quality waves, glassy and pretty damn fun.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby BOX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 am

Headed out to Agate around 2pm or so yesterday afternoon with my daughter. Had a bit of a slow start. Thought it was just me, but my daughter was bodyboarding and said she couldn't catch in the beginning either. Eventually I found my rhythm, the right break, or both and my outing significantly improved. I've had better days for sure, but this was solid and there are no bad days in the water, so I'll happily take it.
Last edited by BOX on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

pra_ggresion wrote:Wait what? The usual one on the radio tower? Save the surf for Sunday, Tuesday or after if there's flexibility.

Nah not the ole OSU cam cant make out shitt on that one. Its been a year or more now since the OR Surfline invasion.... you been living under a rock? Or wait you've transplanted to the coast where you don't really need to access to cams.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/agate-beach-pacific-northwest_142797
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf