Change font size   Print view

March Mayhem

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: March Mayhem

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Yeah man! Finally some love for the weekend warrior…….. life and forecast variables came together for some camping and peak hounding around my go to beachie zone. Checked a couple early Sat am and even with a parking lot report of “deep barrels” mid-week at another spot down the way with intel down to the street level, decided to stay where I was at. Had the fam in tow and you know the old saying… “never drive away from waves to find waves”.

Posted suited booted and paddled out into chest high peaky mexi-glass. Water was green and clear as it gets. Small and so glassy that when you were surfing it felt like you were riding a wave that wasn’t there, almost like invisible waves man. Punchy and easy to catch on 6’ DWS go to low end SB set up as thruster with the always trusty honeycomb AM2’s. Lots of punchy drops some shouldering, but the good ones ramped into the inside for some speed pumping and a bashable or wrapable section. Clocked 3 hours of water time with a chill local crew and then took the grom out for another hour for 4+ hours of brine time.

Wanted to stay put, but lost in majority rules cause the kiddos wanted the pool and the Ms. wanted to camp at another campgroup as the local option was pretty flooded. Woke up early yest AM stiff as hell, but long period was pulsing and I knew crowds would be out mid am. Coffee check verified hollowed offshore over-head peaks. Laced up my 6’6” dated hand shaped Merrick step up cause I knew it was going to be about tracking down that right peak and more of a getting in and straight line affair vs. the day befores rippable peaks. YU honeycombs are the only template I ride in this board and glad I packed it.

Once out solid sets were throwing pretty good. 1st 3 or so waves were mostly drops and had to do the walk around a few times, but things came together and got into a groove. Corner down the way was the call despite the work. Had one come right to me with that perfect angle tapered and throwing as it reeled down the bar towards me. Knifed the drop to some hoots…. bottomed turned, set line, stalled, grabbed the wall stood still, and got a clean in and out verified by a gentleman paddling back out in the channel :) Maybe get a handful of makeable barrels a year, so it was a good day.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Sounds like an ideal way to milk those offshores.

I was on Dad duty all weekend so had to squeeze onw in. Wrong break, wrong time but still found a couple of corners here and there. Ended the weekend smacking my head on the concrete, skateboarding Bingen, so feeling pretty good about a last minute decision to wear a helmet yesterday. Probably can't lie down on a surfboard for awhile either as I also belly flopped onto my truck.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Speaking of Mayhem these Lost...X LIB Puddle Fishes look dope. 8) Might have to pick one up for the next 6 months. Had the Lost...X LIB Puddle Jumper and it was a blast. Sold it some kid in Bend he was going to use for river wave.

cleanline is carrying Losts now?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm

No just LibTech.... SSS has the Lost.... lock.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Had weekend plans so I took off work early Friday afternoon and hit up Agate so I didn't think about what I was missing all weekend. I think I was early for the really good waves on Sat & Sun, but I had a good day out. Nothing too crazy... I'd say about chest-high tops. Was skeptical at first when I saw the water, but I caught consistent rides the whole time I was out. Gave me an opportunity to work on that ugly pop-up. Plus, there are no bad days on the water.

Spent Saturday hiking and Sunday kayaking so not a bad weekend overall. Sitting indoors on this 70+ degree day, though :?. Hope some of you all got out.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Set the alarm for O stupid O clock Sun AM. Checked buoy on mobile device. Rolled over and went back to bed when I saw 4 at 8 SW winds. Opted for a Sun evening post up to get the AM sesh with foretasted easties. Found the lucky :mrgreen: leprechaun a few days late. Had my sights on a sand bar when another one caught my eye. 2+ hours of early morning sand bottomed forehand spinners at a fav spot I haven't seen or surfed good in maybe 6 years? HH drops to fast linkable sections with one little sticky spot on some that required a little wiggling and tick taking, but man once through that the inside section ramped with a noice little launching pad into the offshores for few failed attempts at airs. Good ones reeled though with an opp for a hack or wrap and even some head dippage. Solo dolo for a while then mostly one other head until a few others joined. Sometimes Mondays don't suck!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm

great post ML...thanks for the story and the visuals. 6 YEARS from the last time you saw it break??? MAN I my curiosity has peaked for sure.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am

Yeah ML, Monday morning was epic for me too. My main squeeze was firing. Word must've gotten out cause all kinds of work rigs were pulling up with no other explanation other than sometimes you gotta ditch to score some rare springtime conditions. I told myself that since I bailed on riding the noserider last couple of sesh's, this one had to happen no matter what, even though it would have been better on a shorty. Got one really good tube. Don't think I've ever gotten a tube that legit on a LB before. Paddle out SUCKED though.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 pm

ok ok....I am ready for some name drops! C'mon boys, its just the 5 or 6 of us!
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 am

Tex wrote:ok ok....I am ready for some name drops! C'mon boys, its just the 5 or 6 of us!

Here's one I hipped last Saturday after getting skunked out at four spots on the N. coast.

Cheri's Cafe in Cannon Beach. They're closed on Thur. and Sun.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 am

I knew it would be shite but with the boss out of town and bored out of my mind at work, I went anyway. Went to my go-to skunk spot b/c by the time I got there the wind was on it and it seemed like too little swell for the other go-to. Anyway just about high tide, mostly small period junk but every half hour or so a pulse would come through with a tad more juice and few peelers. But good luck being in the right spot when they did. Jammed the single fin right up the front of the box to channel Larry and paddled out into the frigid water solo towards where I thought a peak was manifesting.

Lots of paddling, waiting, inside/ outside etc... Then by pure luck a real nice peak popped up right by me on the outside bar to the south. Probably shoulder high on the peak and lo and behold some shoulder to work with. Turned and burned and was in a great position. Bottom turned and immediately regretted jamming the fin so far forwards but held on, to make the first section. Then the little bugger started to become a real wave, a creamy green back lit wall of glass awaited my clumsy backhand approach. Had to grab rail a few times to control the loose board and get round the sections but it kept going and going. And going. Finally, spat me out in the shallows in knee deep water.

I kicked off and looked towards the beach and told the adoring crowd, 'Just you wait, that was only the beginning. I'm just warming up. Get your f*cking cameras out now."

Then I spent the next two hours trying to find another one like that. Floundered and flailed and finally gave up and came home. I'm still claiming it a successful mish.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 am

Spent: One is all it really takes right? I can't tell you how many sessions I have had over the years where literally 1-2 rides save the day even if the majority of the session is paddling and waiting.

SG: Thanks bro, that was the local secret spot name drop I was hoping for. Seriously.....for real.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

Cosube or Upnorth Tex. Where else do PDX kooks stand up surf their bikes too for their $4 coffee drinks and $6 dollar pints. :lol:

A certain cam looked very tasty and practically empty yesterday afternoon........
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 am

you know I love you guys right....
Tex

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Cosube or Upnorth Tex. Where else do PDX kooks stand up surf their bikes too for their $4 coffee drinks and $6 dollar pints. :lol:

A certain cam looked very tasty and practically empty yesterday afternoon........

I will attest that exact same occurence occurred at a couple of similar setups. I'm thinking that the number of places corresponding that way implies the swell was mysto. However, I think spontaneous things happen in the ocean that apply uniformly to certain setups in a general way. This may as well be the surf new year with high hopes for sand to setup a certain way. I really think everyone should really keep a close eye on 2nd creek Shortsands.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf