Change font size   Print view

March Mayhem

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

March Mayhem

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Well we all know March is automatic for epic swell in this beautiful state. Post the sessions when you get them. I am now 0 fer 18....my surf soul is on life support with your stories. No pressure at all Box.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: March Mayhem

Postby BOX » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Ha! It's been a few weeks for me. Maybe tomorrow will line up... if not, probably next weekend for this M-F day job warrior.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:53 pm

The Cove looked sick Saturday a.m. on the Kook cam but I was indisposed... anyone get some?
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Might a been early, but by the time I got over winds were north and surprisingly strong. Surfed the other outta the wind spot and was a typical late winter early spring junk show. Swell was lumpy, bumpy, and funky. Could link a few together, saw a few surprisingly good ones, but kinda frustrating at times on my step down SB. Water is as cold as it gets right now. Got chilled in a relativity and brand new 5 mill sand brand new 5 mill boots. Highlight was witnessing an illusive a green flash sunset!

Swell dropped quite a bit today and was mostly left overs at the other spot out of the other wind. Typical March winds.... all over the place. Found some small clean ones on my dependable quad fish, but some were still hard as hell to get in on. Hate that. Was down at SUP peak and my buddy and I were getting hassled by the sweepers when out of nowhere Spent paddled out on his new board and started snaking the janitors left and right scaring them south.

All and all good to break a bit of a dry spell, but mostly mediocre maintenance. Off course tomorrow looks good. Ill be working like I ma now on a Sun night. Blows...... :twisted:
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Good seeing you Laze. Glad I paddled the cheater crutch out as I doubt I would have got many waves on my shortboard. Nice little window all things considering...

Got the all clear to blow Weds off. Could be small but offshores could open up some SUP free spots.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Hit Agate up on Saturday for a couple hours. Conditions were fairly mushy, but not too bad. I was able to catch some rides so I'm sure the advanced set was able to make something out of it. The water was definitely a bit chilly but I warmed up eventually. I for sure still have some improvements to make, but overall not too bad of an outing. There are no bad days in the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 am

Monday, I was suppose to start a new job after months of interviews and background checks but noooo. Friggin stopped smokin ganj fer chrissakes. The supervisor decided to quit, so my position was null and voided. No worries, went mid county and got some of that 4'@17 action. Just when I was congratulating myself on scoring this perfect swell solo, some waves started coming through that were definitely a little bigger. Outer reef looked like it was firing, so sprint paddled to the outside and still got cleaned up. Made it back out maybe 45 minutes later. Psyched myself up to go for one on a 5'11" quad. Got two more of those and it ruled.
Then last night got some mini-zippers down at Agate that were pretty fun.

Thinking of going entrepreneurial at this point. Anyone have experience with underwater hull cleaning in the PNW? I have most the gear necessary to try it out without much investment. I think I could take out a loan for about $3K to really get serious about it, i.e. Surface Supplied Air system. My main concern is trying to do it with the tides. Like, are there enough slack tides to go around to be profitable? Kinda thinking out loud. Really would like to apprentice with some one, so if anyone has an in, hit me up :)
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Sounds like a fun day...... it's looked so fresh and so clean out there last several days. I will say my desk in stand up position is about a foot over head when including monitor height.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 am

Bit of recon weds morning while waiting for the tide to push. Finally settled on a very visible but quiet peak near a big rock. Real nice A-Frame setting up with a couple of heads on it. I mostly sat on the lefts which spat you right back into the rip for dry hair paddles after long rides. Got softer with the tide but still good. Eggy single fin action allowed for some turns on the first few sections and then tuck and shoot through the inside walls.

Then made a bad call for a second session and paddled around cold and tired for an hour or so for very little reward.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice when are you going to sell me your Super Buzz?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Funny you should mention that... Was thinking yesterday, its now time to get back on my regular boards, long drawn out turns were fun for awhile but I need to mix it up... love the superbuzz... when it dies I will replace with a grovel buzz...

the jump down from a 7'2" to a 5'8" might hurt a little though...
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Might take a few to get that foot placement dialed. That's one thing I've noticed not having to deal with sticking to same board most of the time for over a year now. Took me some time to dial in my Buzz. At 5'6" was the shortest board I'd owned, would drop into a wave and my back foot would miss the tail. But man when I dialed it that was a great board which actually resurfaced on CL recently, a test to the quality of Stretch's builds.

Speaking of Mayhem these Lost...X LIB Puddle Fishes look dope. 8) Might have to pick one up for the next 6 months. Had the Lost...X LIB Puddle Jumper and it was a blast. Sold it some kid in Bend he was going to use for river wave.

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 pm

The Lib Construction feels bomber. Be great for a travel board. How do they feel under foot in the water?
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Good. A little stiff but not chattery like some EPS. Ended up beating mine pretty good. Dry docked it coming down off a floater at a weird little reef break up in the strait and put a good hole in the bottom. Kept surfing it thou with no worries cause they don't suck water and easy fix afterwards. Also put a massive deck dent in it under my front heel. Board was so fast and skatey found myself popping a credit card air every now and again and I am not exactly light on my feet. Great tech for a grovel to small wave board for sure. Just wish they had Future boxes, but Puddle Fish looks like it would be good with FCS MR twin trailer set.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Clamchowdah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Clear, warm, chest to head high on saturday. Swell mix and very strong offshore winds in the mornings made for some strange bump in the morning but once the wind died down things got a lot better later in the afternoon. Caught one of the longest waves of my life after I paddled way too deep and the offshores blew me out a bit onto an outer bar. Caught a big set wave that was barely breaking at the outer bar, it stayed rolling for about another 100 meters before it finally started to break and I got almost a 30 second ride out of it before I tried to tuck in to a small funnel and it closed out on me.

What’s everyones take on sea lions? When those big fellas roll up on me I get a little bit sketched out. They don’t seem so harmless like the little harbor seals
Clamchowdah
Mermaided

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf