Change font size   Print view

Step Up Redux

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Step Up Redux

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Ok, so I couldn't find the step up thread but I have more questions.

3RD Board I ever owned....custom Ricky Young (Bellevue Shaper) and I still have it, is a 7'0/20/2 and 3/4 it is has a thruster set up and a pin tail.

Last rode it in 2001 but in pretty good shape.

For the past 20+ years I have never ridden anything over 6'0.

Would the Ricky Young be considered a step up board for me?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Step Up Redux

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 am

Yes, but remember the most important part of a step-up is to casually mention you're riding a step-up so as to imply an image that your air dropping into barrels and getting spat out even though that doesn't really happen in the PNW.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 pm

AMEN brother
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Affirmative. I would slap a step up label on those dims without even seeing it. Or...if it had less than a pointy nose
could we call it a “fun gun”? Did you get that board from him personally? I didn’t see many of his boards down here,
even in the 90’s when there were less local board options.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:18 am

Think it is time for a fish-grovler-midlength-longboard thread.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm

I fully agree. Although, my mid length is serving rather nicely as step up and step down. Just pure laziness... really....
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:30 pm

I shared a spirited debate with a rose tinted ambassador of froth as to what the fcuk a "fun gun" is. He
seemed convinced that Tom Scott was "the man" that could shape his dream stick for ridiculous, huge
conditions at the cove.

What does a fun gun mean to you? My guess is a skinny-ish long board with a 5 fin option.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Tex wrote:Ok, so I couldn't find the step up thread but I have more questions.

3RD Board I ever owned....custom Ricky Young (Bellevue Shaper) and I still have it, is a 7'0/20/2 and 3/4 it is has a thruster set up and a pin tail.

Last rode it in 2001 but in pretty good shape.

For the past 20+ years I have never ridden anything over 6'0.

Would the Ricky Young be considered a step up board for me?

Back to the original question... those dims are pretty similar to my 'step-up' (mines 6'10") but when I ordered it was called a 'semigun.' Seems like a step-up is either your new semigun or a slightly longer daily driver for solid waves.

I went years with rarely riding mine, waiting for perfect few feet overhead surf to justify it but these days, I take it our fairly often when its overhead and I have to paddle a lot. It make sense to me in winter when I just want to find the peak, get in early, point and go and not get too pummeled. Definitely not the cool guy way of surfing overhead waves but times wing chariot is nipping on the heels of my performance thruster.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

smithgrind wrote:I shared a spirited debate with a rose tinted ambassador of froth as to what the fcuk a "fun gun" is. He
seemed convinced that Tom Scott was "the man" that could shape his dream stick for ridiculous, huge
conditions at the cove.

What does a fun gun mean to you? My guess is a skinny-ish long board with a 5 fin option.

Fun boardish outline and dims with a tuned rocker. And for the cove yes TS or someone local would probably be your best bet. Really don't need anything HP there even when it is macking because the drop is almost always an easy roll in and the wave itself comprises of slow and fast sections. Just need a good paddler and something that will get you in and match the speed of the wave. I've surfed my 5'8" quad fish there on a 6' to 8'+ face day. Its got pretty knifey rails and had some larger fins in it. Wasn't ideal but worked and had a ton of fun swooping, carving, and pulling in on the inside bowl.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:54 pm

SG, yeah, I had it made custom from Ricky. Growing up in Seattle, I was over at his shop all the time.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Seattle fooking blows..... and so does WA pretty much.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:11 pm

I would say it was much cooler town in the early 90's but agree it has been on a downward slide for years.
La Push and the SOJD are highlights of the state.....I like Cle Ellum too.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:29 am

A lot of places were cool in the 90s. Glad I didn't live in any cities back then thou cause I am stuck in one now.

As for WA La Mush..... kinda trashy depressing Indian vibe.

SOJDF pretty, but flat most of the time. When it does turn on expect a bunch of Seattle jit bags.

OlyP decent. $20 plus bones to get in NP for the day :roll:

Cascades are quite nice up there thou, but coastwise I'll put my money towards going south any day.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am

Howly Wolf wrote:I like how the craigs ad poster throws in a pic of himself hitting the sweet spot on that bit of Indo. I wonder if he's actually using one of the same boards he's selling? "Not really feeling this board, bruh, but better get tubed for the craigs ad". But hey, if it were me on that wave, I'd do the same thing.

Sounds like your new step up is pretty versatile, Major. I dig it. Did you get it local? Personally, been looking at Dan's horse blinders model-- http://www.murdeysurfboards.com/viper-3/ -- I happened to meet the guy who has the featured model and watched him surf it. Looked fuuuuun and seemed to have plenty of paddle power to maneuver all the moving water, which is my primary interest on top of control/stability. I do like the idea of the board handling in a variety of conditions as well, since I'm not sure I'm ready to drop coin on something that only suits the most epic conditions. But then again the most epic of conditions is what I want to ride, so therein lies the dilemma. Damn surfing gonna send me to the poorhouse.

Moved this over to this thread as there is some good discussion here that may provide useful to the intrepid lurker........

CL guy said in add these boards were tweaked versions of some existing boards and ended up liking what he had better. Not sure about pic but impressive. Perfect as it is, Indo is always heaver than it looks with the razor sharp coral underneath. Those boards look a bit bladed and would prob only suit a few waves locally.

All depends what you normally ride. If its alt boards maybe something like the Album ledge (google it). If you ride shortboards when it is doable, then just a longer wider version with rounded pin IMO. That Murdey looks decent. I just wouldn't go to gunny. Maybe Skullet and Sword beefed up with a round pin around 6'6" to 6'8"? I think the key is getting something you can surf on the lower end too, say offshore 5'-7' beachie with a current running and a shifty peaks. I often ride my 6'6" step up when plenty of heads are on standard short boards and it usually pays off. I haven't gone local in a long time buying in to the current "kool aid" and very happy with the results.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the perspective and for re-upping this thread, ML. Kinda feel like I drank the electric kool aid too, given the current popularity of Murdey's boards, but what can I say? they rip. Riding the What model right now at 6'4 and am pretty psyched on it. Will likely stick with M for step up just for consistency between the two boards, but hit me up if you end up parting ways with that Merrick. Was messing around with a gunny 7'2 channel islands last year and didn't really click with it, but like other designs I've tried and am willing to check it out. Plus I need all the Jesus I can get when things rev up.

Regardless, all this feels like a long way off and my starry-eyed step up needs might have more to do with me frothin' than anything else at the moment. Looking at that bump on the radar and all the winds that come with it, as well as a bunch of freshly polished boards waiting patiently on deck, and getting a little wistful.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf