Change font size   Print view

Step Up Redux

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Step Up Redux

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Sounds like a good plan. It looks as though M's rocker and bottom contours (double to single) don't change at all between his shortboards which is probably good for consistency. Id like to try one of his smaller wave shapes. I like the looks of the Modfish with that single channel out the back.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:38 pm

As I mentioned in the December thread, I just invested in a new step up. This thread was super helpful in figuring out the shape, so I just wanted to thank you all. Major, your advice in particular came through big time-- thanks, man.

One unexpected item though-- got hooked up with the 5 fin box arrangement. Anticipated it being a straight forward thruster, but now I got options. Do any of you ride your step ups as quads? If so, what kind of conditions does that set up work well for? Fin recommendations would also be helpful, if you have any suggestions. In my brain, I kind of just expected plugging in the AM2's and going HAM on some big, sexy waves, but the quad option kind of threw me through a loop...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:27 pm

What did you get? I wish my 6'10" had 5 boxes.

If you want to fly down the line fast go quad. If you want to hang closer to the pocket and pivot around, go thruster. I read somewhere if the energy is mainly focused towards shore thruster is a good call, if the energy is sweeping more parallel to the shore go quad. Also, short dumpy rides, thruster. More wall to to set up on, quad...

Just an opinion (other people will tell you the opposite I'm sure) but its what I use on my boards that have 5 boxes.

I really dig the Futures Large Biolos 5 fin set.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for the sage advice, Spent. I ride my shortboard pretty much as a quad and my experience with it mirrors what you described, so I appreciate you putting that into words.

I guess what trips me up is the speed factor. If there's serious wave energy, my inclination would be to use a fin set up that generates less speed. I suppose that reflects my skill level though and hopefully over time, I'll be more confident utilizing all available options to make the most of the waves.

Board is a 6'6 SKULLET, round pin tail. Knock out paint job and high frequency vibes, as is the Murdey way. Dan seemed really hyped how it turned out and I'm definitely stoked-- clicked with it immediately. I find it meets me where I'm at right now, while offering plenty of room for progression down the road.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am

I think I know the one. White board with black/ grey stripes down the middle. Looks a like a great outline. Prob fun in less than cranking surf also. You're stoked.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Yep, that's the one.

Based on first impressions, I think it'll make good in an ideal range of conditions. That was one of my key takeaways from this thread actually and one I'm especially grateful for. Had previously worried a shortboard would lack the paddle-ability that provides me peace of mind in heavy current, but Murdey hit a sweet spot between volume and net weight, so it paddles/glides/duck dives way easier than I ever anticipated. Very much stoked and very much hoping that this upcoming storm system yields to more classic winter days, for all our sake!
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Congrats on the new stick.....

Been liking my new board, which is kind of a mid range step up as a quad. AM2s up front with the Hayden quad rears, which is the most upright Future template I know of.

Kinda funny because after my 1st session set up as a thruster, board was so fast thought I wouldn't go quad often. Waves we're thumping that day thou and thereafter felt kinda doggy, so tried the quad config and gave it some drive it was lacking esp at the lower range for this board. Also did well in critical lefts as a quad. I tend to like quads on my backside as it let's you get high lines quickly off the drops.

Picked up some John John mediums recently that I am going to try next. Definitely mostly a large fin guy,.but in longer boards like steps and quads a medium sized template can work well and keep the board looser than with large fins. I've also had luck with Stretch quad templates. Have not ruled out the thruster on this board thou. Looking forward to trying again with my John John's and trusty and thrustey AM2s.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf