Change font size   Print view

April Fools

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: April Fools

Postby Spent » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:55 pm

wind forecast was a little off today. Got to the spot, was pretty maxed with people I really didn't want to surf with. Went to get some grinds to kill tide and time, came back and there were only 5 heads out. it glassed off for a bit and some solid rights came through. nice drops, fast shapely firs section, long wall and then a rip ruined but milkable inside section. you know the one. then the crew came out for round 2, so did the wind, and I was done. Short session but non stop waves and easy paddles back out. Cannot complain.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 am

Wind forecast was way off on Wednesday. Solid NW without a hint of E that continued to build through the morning into the
afternoon. Sailor’s grave was pegged. I killed an hour looking at boards while the tide pushed
in hope that would improve the conditions, it didn’t.
Paddled out because I got skunked over a month ago and before that I hadn’t surfed since Baja. 6 going on 7 weeks by now.
Picked off a handful of reforms that has better shape than the sets which would randomly break then fizzle until hitting an inner bar. Surfed by myself on a sunny day while all the working stiffs watched from the lot while on their lunch breaks. :cry:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Wed was fun and offshore early in my local but caught a ride with a goofy foot for a lazy mans at another local after some morning gardening today. Typico tricky lefts and bouncy spring swell not really focusing on a particular bank. Cold spring sideshore norths keeping some open and also a sign of the times. Decent ones were fast and DTL with maybe a floater to end. Otherwise drops to meh.... sun was out and crowds surprisingly not to bad. Looks like a full week of work ahead for me. :|
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 am

Pretty much what Major Lazer said. Stunning evening though and nice to be back on a 6'2". Stumbled around but when the lefts opened up I was reminded why the struggle is worth it. Looks like a good week ahead. Surrendered cousin AJ's van last night... I might be f*cked for awhile...
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 am

Bring back the winter butter :twisted: Wont be able to make the drive for much more of that.....

edit: tomorrow's forecast looks sick!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 am

Yesterday looked like a unicorn day at a spot or two. Was stuck in a conference all day dreaming about heart pounding pin tail waves, sunshine, and long days.

Where's PraBrah? Guessing he charged it.Or did he get a J O B or something? :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Made it out to Agate yesterday evening after work. First time in the water since my sciatica acted up about 4-6 weeks ago. I was a bit nervous about re-injuring myself, but I felt healthy, the weather was great, and conditions looked good so I couldn't not go. Winds were light and onshore. A bit of mush, but chest-high sets were rolling in regularly. There were only about 4-5 of us including a SUP in the beginners/intermediate area of the pool and maybe a couple more heads out playing in the deep end which surprised me considering how nice it was out. It felt great to be back in the water and other than some general all-over tightness this morning, my back remained pain free. I had a great time and considered the outing a success.

Which was good because, man, did I really stink it up out there. I figured I'd lose a few steps due to the injury and time off (and I didn't have that many steps ahead to begin with), but I was surprised by how far I had regressed. Took me a long time to get anything going. I thought I was going to get skunked, but eventually I found my rhythm and caught a few good rides. Ended on a long ride, caught a right, straightened out, and then rode it to shore. Figuring I wasn't going to do better than that, I packed it in and went to bed that night (and awoke this morning) with a smile on my face. There are no bad days on the water. Hope some of you all were able to make it out, too.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 am

Totally blew it Friday, waiting for things to clean up. Single car family again, meant no time to waste but I was still in 'chill in the van mode' until its good... but it didn't get good until I had to leave...
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am

Coulda gone on Sat for evening low to the obv local, but opted for bike rip with the wifey under rare kid free circumstances. Kinda done with that spot until next season anyways.

April was a bust for me. Logged maybe 2 sessions? Was hoping for more especially coming off the March stoke, but either spent my small amount of free time snowboarding or the few windows that looked good each week did not coincide with sched. Weekends didn't seem to be to happening from my recollection.

Seasonal gas price fluctuations will make solo tripping a little more spendy. Outside of a few planned weekends of fam coastal camping, waves will have to look good to motivate next month and beyond.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Spent wrote:Totally blew it Friday, waiting for things to clean up. Single car family again, meant no time to waste but I was still in 'chill in the van mode' until its good... but it didn't get good until I had to leave...

We need to start a VanShare project and chill.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am

Just got word. I get the van back this week. I feel like a foster parent.

I'm down to carpool with any of you. Driving that thing solo is stupid. See you in the Home Depot lot on Friday... ? Surf looks marginal...
Spent

Postby smithgrind » Tue May 01, 2018 10:41 am

Spent wrote:Just got word. I get the van back this week....

Well, that was a short lived bummer. You didn't even get a chance to milk it.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue May 01, 2018 11:27 am

Camping and riding around Stub Fri afternoon. Plan is to go coastal Sat after daughters lax game in the Brough. Need to grab my funboard out of my homies garage.

Unfortunately there are a few dl spots I like to surf where I cant show up with anyone otherwise I might loose the little cred I have. Otherwise CB, Shorties, PC, etc I'll carpool any day to. Its just the mid life schedule that can make it a prob.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 pm

May do a first light sesh on Sat....I am getting used to the early am schedule with my youngest doing hockey now.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Some pretty sick photos from April in the NW are making the rounds on Insta....holy shite some of the shots are kinda sick.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf