Change font size   Print view

When you get skunked...

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

When you get skunked...

Postby Clamchowdah » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:38 pm

What are everyone’s go-to alternate activities for the all-too-often skunk sesh in the PNW?

I can’t imagine I’m the only one who drives hours, hikes a mile or two through the woods to some remote location you found from publicly available satellite imagery only to find it blown out or completely flat.

Hiking, mountain biking, spear fishing?? I don’t really dabble in any of these but am discovering I need to make the most of this gas money I drop on the quarterly skunk session
Clamchowdah
Mermaided

Re: When you get skunked...

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Rarely get skunked unless I have made plans in advance to be coastal like this past weekend and if I woulda had my fun board I would of surfed something.

But.... hiking, fishing, skating, mushrooming to name a few. You live in Oregon surf but don't hike?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Clamchowdah » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm

I live in WA and “hike” and “camp” as part of my job. Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it but I like doing other stuff on the weekends too.

I’ve been salmon fishing a couple times up here with buddies but the initial costs seem pretty high to get into that. I could definitely see myself enjoying fishing for other species that isn’t so resource intensive on the part of the fisherman

Spear fishing seems like a lot of fun, but I guess that comes with some controversy up here too
Clamchowdah
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 pm

If I go and it turns out bad, I just surf what is there.....roll with it and then go home.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 am

Honestly, its been a long time that I've driven to the coast and not paddled out and caught the 3 wave minimum. But it used to happen. And then I'd go home and be an a-hole for a week.

If the surf is shite- there's so much other shite to do. Usually skate for me. Astoria, Seaside, CB, Nehalem, Bay City, Tillamook, LC, Newport, Waldport, Florence, Reedsport, PO, Gold Beach, Brookings all have decent parks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcUkta2e0S0

When its wet, long walks in the woods...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:17 am

OK I understand Clamchouda. I worked in forestry and rec over on the coast and pretty much hiked for work everyday. On my days off that was the last thing I really wanted to do honestly. Just wanted to surf and drink beer on my front porch. And I would drive all over looking for waves and people to surf with back in those days.

I dont really take chances anymore or just go because I have nothing else to do. Way to busy with other stuff, kids, home, work, etc. My surf trips are fairly calculated based on variables and data. That said, even with a favorable forecast I often surf waves I would have passed on when I lived coastal.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 am

Clamchowdah wrote:What are everyone’s go-to alternate activities for the all-too-often skunk sesh in the PNW?

Head right back into the valley and get shite done.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby X-squid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 pm

+1 for that... I've driven the 1.5-2.0 hours, checked spots and turned right back around on more occasions than I care to recall.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am

Ouch..... when I am out of the shity and away from the fam with clearance I take full advantage of it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Nope, I am on the coast for 1 thing....waves. If they suck, I usually just try to make lemonade out of lemons. Then I bomb back.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm

What do you do when you get stuck in the fookin Sylvan shitt show? God that sucks.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I've gone freediving a few times. The only skunk condition that serves is if the waves are flat. Good dive days often compete with good surf. Then on top of that, the visibility has to be at least 10'. It's nice to bring a spear on the off chance something comes into your cross hairs. You can grab crab or cut back seaweed at surf spots too. Best to start spearing in rivers with squaw so you can get accustomed to making a clean kill. Nothing is more heartbreaking than injuring a big beautiful ling, only for it to dart away and die somewhere else. Aside from that, don't really see the controversy so long as you follow regs.

Skating for sure works, but if it's stormy I also like exploring and checking spots I've never bothered with for reference. Tide pools are cool to check out. Find a sea cave. Find a book store in the most dilapidated shanty possible. The missus likes to go to local shelters and pet cats. It's actually pretty calming.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf