Change font size   Print view

Maxin May

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Maxin May

Postby Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Who knows...I might break my streak of 5 months with zero surf sessions....has to happen folks, maybe Sat.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Maxin May

Postby Major Lazer » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 am

Pancakes by Fri or even before then maxing for sure. Not sure WTF that is but looks like a gale to me and assuming weather with it. Maybe this brute of a later winter is not over yet.

Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 pm

small swell will work well with the 12 yr old who is amping to get in the water. "Dad...my board is literally getting dusty!"
Tex

Postby X-squid » Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 pm

5 months Tex! I'm jones-ing too! Haven't paddled since March - longest dry spell since 2013 for me (which was basically from 2005-early 2013 save for one sub-par sesh in Japan around 2008.) I was thinking about Saturday myself if just to get my board wet. My oldest is playing some serious baseball this year so that's been killing my outings. Oh well. They grow up and are gone in no time...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Exactly enjoy it while you can..... waves will always be there. My oldest just turned 10 and kinda floored its been a decade.

Posted up yest PM for the AM. Blown crumbly CO's by the time I got over so went for a bike rip. Gun barrel grey glassy CH bowls this AM once I dialed it in..... tried to think outside of the box (not OSP BOX) and paddle out at a spot that can have its day just down the road from the masses. Thought I saw a corner, but no hay nada. You'd think after 30+ years an ole salt's (n pepper) wavedar would be in tune, but the valley rot creeps. Thought I was riding the skunk train and salt dogged it (driving in wetsuit) back to town. Punchy workable rights with time to set up one nice drawn out turn on quad fishy. 1.5 hour window and south wind killed the vibe. Had to work anyway so all good.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Fri May 04, 2018 7:32 am

Egg-zackly -my oldest will be 12 next month. Already thinking about which vehicle to hold onto to pass over to him when he's 16. And yeah, waves will always be there - especially if my early semi-retirement plans work out.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Fri May 04, 2018 5:02 pm

tried to think outside of the box (not OSP BOX)

Ha! Thinking outside of the OSP Box will only improve your current situation, trust me... :D

My Sunday's open, but conditions are looking flat from what I can tell. We'll see how it goes.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Scored a nice little peak to myself that was really making the most of the 3'@11 swell. Low to mid tide glass followed by $1.75 fish tacos. Stoke level: adequate and rising.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 pm

The streak is over boys.....finally made it out, damn felt great. I had already committed for the dawn patrol today and I got a text from my best friend since first grade, he was crashing at his parents pad in Manzanita all weekend. He got it pretty darn good Friday night and was looking forward to adding to his weekend wave count. Me and my homey have been surfing together since 90 so it is always a good time in the line up with him.

Anyway, learned a few things, all in bullets cause I am freakin wasted tired.

1. The SS lineup at 6:30 had four dudes out, I was the third car in the lot. (1st car was a SUP'er...more on that later)
2. Catching 8-10 waves in 30 minutes at second creek caused a stir on the beach, the later set of surfers all jammed up 2ND creek and proceeded to follow us wherever we posted up.
3. I still know how to pop----even though once I only popped to my knees like a richety ol bastard
4. I still know how to go frontside and backside....there were lefts and rights all over the place.
5. Committed to waiting for some rights against the N. wall, fun when they came through but long periods between the rights
6. Still stoked 8 hours later, cant wait for more
7. Expected smaller waves and more wind but the waves were chest to shoulder and there was zero wind anywhere
8. If I had to do it over again, I would have surfed a tad north of Arcadia.....only 1 dude out and it was freakishly consistent.
9. More SUP'ers than I had ever seen before at SS. And, they were wearing helmets! wtf....that scared the shite out of me.
10. What is the logic on the 10:00 start out of PDX for a surf session on a Saturday???? Do you just want to surf with as many other surfers as possible?????????

Ok, feels great to be back contributing a meaningful surf report....some of you Insta lurkers have to sign up now....deal is a deal ;)

Finally, curious to know if anybody from the OSP was down at SS today....if so, let us know!
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 am

Glad you got out Tex. Rolled over from the Boro Sat AM. Nice to just drive a clean hour vs. a buck thirty plus with Sylvan traffic. Could get used to that.

Decided at 1st spot it wasn't worth burring gas, riding the potential skunk train, and maybe ending up with 1/2 of my BFF's from Portland on a Sat mid day. So to keep things interesting for the wifey and kidos opted for a hike to a quiet beach that can sometimes produce a ridable wave. Def more swell at said beach, but the wind was kicking just as we got down. Couldn't get the kids interested in surfing after packing their gear and foamy down. Stupid newish "Shark Spotted at Location" sign a the 1st beach we looked at didn't help.

Took a nice and well needed nap in a driftwood structure we laid claim to and didn't mind not have to rinse a bunch of neoprene at the end of the day. Saw a juvenile grey whale breach twice and everyone had fun, so it was a win in my book. Hoping for a clean window during this next little blip of swell.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Mon May 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Nice, Tex -saw the Insta post but didn't make it out there Saturday. If the forecast holds I'll be back soon enough.

ML - I know we're still tiptoeing around spot naming, but interested to hear about the shark sign location, just out of curiosity. I've got my own amateur, if not slightly scientific theories about where the landlord shows up.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 07, 2018 2:15 pm

X-squid I believe they are all over now. Indian has one and I think the spot I am referring to got one for the attack there a few Octobers ago now. I didn't hear of anything at this spot, but that is not to say a sighting didn't occur here. It feels more sharky than Indian and I have surfed it alone many times.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Mon May 07, 2018 2:36 pm

I guess not seeing the shark signs is indicative of how little I've been surfing the last couple months. Soon to be remedied.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Sun May 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Got nugged up on the DL at SS on Saturday arvo. Refreshing to see legit swell running and offshores
grooming the faces. Pulled into a few overhead corners and held steady in the pocket. Lots of close
outs with the dropping tide and stiff winds but the rewards were there for being patient.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 am

Been getting steamrolled at work and then it's been daughters lax games on weekends hence PDX hate rants. Had one window same time as SG reports, but would of put me in same local being the only local really and didn't feel like hans soloing it. Sounds like it was fun in a typical 6'-8' SS wonky kinda of way as I had another mate there, but that place has not been motivating me at all lately.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf