Change font size   Print view

Injured Reserve

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Injured Reserve

Postby bluesilver » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Yeah I went to San Diego to hang with a friend. First time surfing down there. Got pearled and came back up for a breath of air just to see that my short leash did it's job and brought the board back to me, except it was the front of the board. The point of it slammed into my face, about a quarter inch under my eye. Big black eye, a little blood.

To make matters more interesting, on the flight home I was laid over in LAX and went to the bathroom. The soap dispenser is one of those pump actions that curve into the sink. I made a cup of my left hand, pushed down with the right on the pump. Soap hits my cupped hand and shoots up, straight into the eye I had just banged up. So I'm in the LAX airport with an eye on fire, I'm desperately washing the soap out, it's already black and blue and a guy comes up next to me and just looks at me like I'm a crazy person. So now my eyeball, too, is dark red and veiny from the soap and washing. I have never felt so stupid and unlucky.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:39 pm

bluesilver wrote:Yeah I went to San Diego to hang with a friend. First time surfing down there. Got pearled and came back up for a breath of air just to see that my short leash did it's job and brought the board back to me, except it was the front of the board. The point of it slammed into my face, about a quarter inch under my eye. Big black eye, a little blood.

To make matters more interesting, on the flight home I was laid over in LAX and went to the bathroom. The soap dispenser is one of those pump actions that curve into the sink. I made a cup of my left hand, pushed down with the right on the pump. Soap hits my cupped hand and shoots up, straight into the eye I had just banged up. So I'm in the LAX airport with an eye on fire, I'm desperately washing the soap out, it's already black and blue and a guy comes up next to me and just looks at me like I'm a crazy person. So now my eyeball, too, is dark red and veiny from the soap and washing. I have never felt so stupid and unlucky.

What has this got to do with naked ladies?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm

bluesilver wrote: I made a cup of my left hand, pushed down with the right on the pump. Soap hits my cupped hand and shoots up, straight into the eye I had just banged up. .

Oh I get it... :wink:
Spent

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm

X-squid wrote: I ate shite on a skateboard about 4 or 5 4th of July's ago and jacked my wrist for the rest of the summer. Done.

Jesus.... You people upset me... :cry:
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 pm

On a positive note, I'm pleasantly surprised by what I can still do after a decade + off the skate. Still embarrassing to get laid out by a flat ground kickflip though.

Funny story about getting first new board after such long hiatus: I go to the shop and they sell me on a Dane Brady board from a company called Polar. Never heard of them, but dude's from PDX and it's my specs, so why not? A few weeks later, I see a guy wearing a Poler shirt and just about have a conniption fit realizing I may have just bought a lame lifestyle brand-skateboard, which would be far worse than any physical injury. Did some research and, fortunately for my soul, Polar is not Poler and Dane legitimately rips. Close call.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 pm

So rad. Dane f*cking rules... Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQCZn9Qoy2E

ps Watch all Polar Vids and Pontus Alv's videos in general. I'm not exaggerating when I say 'The Strongest of The Strange' save my relationship with the four wheeled plank of joy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3JV_VZ4Jk&t=1298s

I'm skating a Polar right now also. Nick Boserio. Big Bearded Aussie pro who I see pushing though SE PDX from time to time.

F*ck Poler- is right.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am

Might be better..... got some fresh water hacks wakeboarding. Kinda fun every 5 years or so esp 400 miles from the Pacific.

Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Spent, lol
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Note to self-- when debating between surfing and skating, I should always choose surfing. Just moved about five minutes away from a skatepark though and have been much more into that commute lately, but was thinking about making for the coast last night for some mellow rollers. Motivation failed me and went to the park instead and devastated my back on a weak 270 wallride gone awry. Thought I broke a rib, but think it's some pinched nerve deal. Now I can't skate, surf, put on my pants like a functional adult, nor any other fun activities that require any sort of movement whatsoever.

Best part about it is that my new shortboard was finished yesterday, so now I get to wait for both the waves to pick up AND my dumb @ss to heal. Good thing hunger is the best spice! Damn.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Whoa, the forum automatically made my cuss word family friendly. High tech!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Damn Howly....sorry to hear about the Skate injury....always a bummer when it keeps you out of the water. Hope you heal up quick bro!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Which park Howly?
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks, Tex. Been kinda feeling the need to recalibrate my surfing lately, so the forced hiatus might do some good. The (whoa) Illusion has a vid called, "Surfer's are Creepy" where he's laying into the differences between surf culture and skate culture-- I think he's right on. I'm hoping skating again will help push my surfing further, in balance and mindset, that is if I stop breaking myself of course.

Spent-- been skating Pier Park. In my hay day, the closest skatepark was a 2 hour drive; now I can just skate down the road to PP. It blows my mind. Gonna finally learn how to skate trenny in my old age!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:55 am

We've all been there Howly..... good time to get broke off and you prob wont and haven't missed much. Good luck healing.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am

Howly Wolf wrote:T
Spent-- been skating Pier Park. In my hay day, the closest skatepark was a 2 hour drive; now I can just skate down the road to PP. It blows my mind. Gonna finally learn how to skate trenny in my old age!

10 o'clock in the pipe feels so right. Heal well, charger!
smithgrind
greystoke

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf