Change font size   Print view

June is for Juggalos

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

June is for Juggalos

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

If you can't beat 'em, Gresh' em!

New crowd control tactic: Paint my face like a juggalo and paddle out. Eye black and sun block for utility; scary clown design for the vibe. No more GoProseurs following me from peak to peak! No more fun-in-the-sun families posting up next to me on the beach! Every time I ride, I'll yell "Wooooot" and then submerge. When I surface, I'll look someone directly in the eyes and say "Woot" again.

I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone else clowning around on the first swells of summer?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: June is for Juggalos

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Haha thought you were referring to all the clowns that come out in June.......

Juggalos are weird and always trip me out. That said, NE Alberta has never been the same without the ole Clown House.

On topic my last report was from June 1st and 2nd. I've had some good ones in June 2008 esp when that mysto south pulse was poping form like a week straight.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm

That's the subtext, Major. But more so what happens when you all let the new guy start up the monthly. Sorry!

Don't usually aim for Shorties on a big W swell, but ended up there last night to get a 2 for 1 deal. Rounded the trail to find a bro squad photo shoot on the beach-- playing soccer in their wetties, stacking cairns, and whatnot. Don't know if they actually ripped, because I moved on without looking back and got a clear go at some size off 3rd creek. Lots of paddling to get outside, but some decent OH peaks in between massive backlit closeouts. Took the hits and got my kicks.

Camped out and made another go early this morning. Surfed some HHs solo for an hour or two (!) before tide rose and things got mushy. A disorganized mess with more closeouts-- typical-- but made some drops that will add to my stoke reserve when the summer doldrums hit.

Oh and a kid dropped trough and crapped in 2nd creek last night. That was my cue to leave. (I think/hope hope hope his parents cleaned it up)
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Technically best place to poop. Used to do a backpacking surf trip annually to a remote and epic right point in the real NorCal and that the mantra was "go inter-tidal" preached by the BLM themselves that and pack food in bear canister.

On a sad note two lives were lost down in Rockaway yesterday.... swell looked macking on footage. Not a good day to be boogie boarding in white water. Rockaway has a nasty long shore current as well. Family was visiting from CO. Real bummer.

http://katu.com/news/local/father-drowns-son-reported-missing-off-rockaway-beach
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm

I ended up at SS around noon yesterday and watched a few heads trying to avoid the bombs mowing through
the north end. By the time I slammed a sandwich and a beer the bomb squad had all paddled in and were
walking up the beach with tails between their legs. My friend and I took over the shift change and paddled out
along the rocks. Not much of a rip and plenty of solid whitewater washing all the way through made it more interesting
than your standard go out.
It was kinda fun to be in some size but way too lumpy and bumpy for quality rides on the sets. The inside provided cleaner
shape but good look holding position once the sets came through. I opted to sit outside and kick out once the waves hit
the inner bars. Water was warm, sun was cranking and I surfer by myself for a solid hour before anyone made it outside.
Swell eventually seemed to lose some energy around 2-2:15 and the outer bars were backing off. I quickly lost interest after this and called it good. Ho hum...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby BOX » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Heard about those folks up in Rockaway Beach. A guy at my work asked me about it because I lived in the same town they're from for about 12 years before moving up here to OR. Didn't know the folks, though. Still pretty tough to hear about.

Kudos to the coast guard and search & rescue teams. Can't be easy having days like that.
Last edited by BOX on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Nice work Howly!! The monthly report topic is all done by committee, whoever thinks of it first usually gets to kick it off. Thanks for all the cool reports, good times, except for the Rockaway report, yikes.

I have a client in PA that just asked me to come up so I am packing my boards and heading north, checking out some spots that just had their breakwater boulders removed, been looking awful tempting the last couple of weeks
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:26 pm

June report included from somewhere on Space Ship Earth.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SKdf86UsM
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Looked like solid swell out there all weekend maybe a little lumpy, but a certain cam looked kinda fun with some heads making the best of it and tearing it up with one or two turns per wave. Still on the IR. Giving it at least another week I think...... weeded yard and gardened in the wet and cold. Hope that shitt is behind us now and doesn't get to hot or flat.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Lazy rights on the LBP this weekend-- one other guy out. I paddle by and he says to me, Hey... You want a dead sturgeon? and pointed toward a bloated fish floating just outside the lineup. I'll pass, man. No high frequency vibes for me, I guess, but still a fun novelty session.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am

Nice swell running yesterday. 4 at 17 so I left work early. But against my instinct was talked into paddling out at the wrong spot and spent a couple of hours duck diving and paddling. Of course my friends got a bunch on their oversized boards while I got pounded. At least the water was warm.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Spent wrote: Of course my friends got a bunch on their oversized boards while I got pounded. At least the water was warm.

How many turns did your oversized friends make on their waves? any lip bashing? any cut backs? buckets being thrown?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm

you know the answer.
Spent

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

but you can't make a turn if you don't catch a wave...
Spent

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Spent wrote:but you can't make a turn if you don't catch a wave...

Good point but I know you can get waves.
smithgrind
greystoke

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf