Change font size   Print view

June is for Juggalos

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: June is for Juggalos

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am

LP swells over 12 can be disappointing at the usual NoCo beachies without a really good bank and/or the east winds of fall or winter.

Got kinda jelly talking with a bro this am down on the south coast. Said its been one swell after the other from the NW and S. Oh well..... hope all you Dads get some waves on Sunday. I'll be no where near the ocean, but looking forward to a change of scenery and some warmth and sun!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 pm

My youngest son and I blazed out this morning at 4:35. We were in the SS parking lot by 6:15. Only 4 cars there.
Made the hike down and we were the 5th and 6th surfers out with a rapidly sinking tide. Water was kinda frigid and there was zero wind. Kind of lumpy and definitely some head high sets coming through. The boy couldnt make it outside this session, got rattled trying to get through the last sandbar. But it was double the size from his last session so I get it.

Anway he went to explore tide pools by the waterfall and I hugged the rocks on the north end. Had to navigate two SUPers in the line up who were waiting outside for the set waves. Still was able to catch a few fun ones down there.

All in all, doesnt get much better for Fathers day. We were home by 1:00 and watched the masses from the valley in stop and go traffic from Hillsboro to 101.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 am

Father's Day: Heard the lots were full and overflowing but the wife and kid were willing to come with me for a late one and the little one even threw her surfboard on the car. We figured, we take our time and wait for the crowds to disperse... and come home late. Stoked. Gassed up in North Plains and then just west we hit traffic. I was crawling a long at about 10mph when wham.... was rear-ended by Juli from Milwaukie whose handbag was under her brake. Nearly tore my whole bumper off. Julie said, "It was clearly my fault." and "Are you still going surfing?" Turned around East into traffic and drove home. Grabbed some Pilsner and cycled over to my friend's bowl. F*ck cars/ f*ck surfing/ F*ck handbags.

Wife and kid now have back and shoulder pain. I'm always in pain so it doesn't count...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Missed you by an hour, Tex-- left around 5:15 am. Made the hike, but not much happening worth sticking around for, given the forecasted party wave rolling in from the east. Checked a few other spots and settled on one that was fairly clean and shoulder high. The cross swell made it somewhat underwhelming, but I'd rather deal with chaos at sea, than chaos in the lot. Hit it and quit it and having stuff to do back in the valley, was back home before half of PDX even started their engines. Not a memorable session, but a remarkable achievement in reclusiveness!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Damn Spent....that blows....so sorry that happened to you bro.

Howly, it def looked a bit bigger/better in other spots but was trying to minimize risks with the rookie under my wing. I was struck by how well SS was protected by the wind....like zero wind.
Tex

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 am

A bit of redemption last night. Fun high tide walls. Pretty banked and not much power but long carveable walls on the oversized crowd beater. No shame.
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 am

Spent got his redemption; I got my comeuppance. Planned a weekday excursion with the old lady, but hit dead stop traffic just outside Elsie. Knew it wasn't good when the ambulances started showing up. After sticking it out thirty minutes, we turned around when ODOT estimated 4 hours until 26 would open again. Saw some pictures of the crash yesterday-- head on collision when a car drifted into oncoming traffic-- everyone in critical condition-- happened about 10 minutes ahead of me. Scary. Traversing the coast range so often really plays the odds, so while I'm bummed surf date was a bust, I'm pretty darn happy to still be in one piece.

Happy summer btw. Starting to jones for swell in anticipation : p
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Glad you were safe bro.....dawn patrol or late night sessions avoid the crazies on 26.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Roger that, Tex. I'm actually pretty impressed that you can rally your little guy for dawn patrol. Kid's a soul surfer!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am

Seems like 26 is more maddening than ever. Stay safe bros.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am

Call me in September when Summer is over. There are only a few waves and times of year I'll get up that early for unless I am already over there. Been comboing eve and am seshies with an overnight stay vs. one sesh strikes. Also been avoiding 26 most of the Spring.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Wrapping up a couple days in the SODFJ.

Found myself at Ballard Surf Shop on Wednesday getting some booties for the oldest kid. Younger guy came through to get his board repaired...he had just been up in the SODFJ and said it had been pretty fun all morning. So I was mildly hopeful that whatever was up there would stick around for a day.

NOPE...nuking WEST Wind killed it all....but the water was super effing warm.

Me and the boys kayaked, SUPed and body surfed the shore pound. Nothing breaking from Joyce, east. Considered La Push but with a 3+ hour drive both ways, decided just to kick it where we were.

Heading up to one of Hubbards more epic parks on Orcas tomorrow morning....should get some decent shredding in this weekend.

All in all, water time is always better than desk time.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Surf Shop in Ballard, WA? North Seattle right? Think I saw a funny vid of some guys trying to surf tiny shorebreak there.

Seems like the wrong time of year for inside the SOJDF. Wesptort is prob closest best bet coming from OR. Haven't been there in 5 or so years though, but heard there some surf camp lodge bar there now. When I have time to go far I usually head south these days.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Generally agree...La Push can sometimes get good...in the summer.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Plan was to combo yest eve and this am, but stupid summer sched 1 car family valley probs F'ed up my plan.

Banged out as soon as I could around 7:30 am and got to my local just as the wind was switching from off to side. Yes easties in June a rare treat due to a strengthening gradient slightly inland. Nice and quiet in da lot. Shoulda changed fins from Stretch S2 thruster set up I rode last surf in smaller glassy workable peaks vs. some size and sweepy peaks, but was frooohooothing going on a 3 week dry spell and knew wind was coming.

Solid mid period swell..... always keen on 11-12 seconds for the beachies. Meet a very old and dear friend form the south coast who was passing though and we paddled just as there was a small shift change. Thumpy and dumpy with some good corners on the right ones. Fist wave, dropped into a OH set wave and went down like a ton of bricks and got drilled. Came up laughing to sight of buddy flying DTL on a used Buzz he scored at Ossies on the way up. Made me miss mine.... my go to magic SB seemed like a dog. Sticky and weird. Wasn't perfect shape, a bit bouncy and sweeping down the line without a ton of face to work with. Shoulda laced it as a quad or put in my trusty AM2's cause it was hard to get traction on the face for pumpage and needed insta speed off the drop. Eventually put it together and got some turnage, one nice feeling backside hack. Middle sized ones were best.

All and all not my day thou. 3 weeks dry plus valley rot no bueno. Going to blame it on the fins and not my fat assed low testosterone middle aged self. Still had fun and good to see some snappy swell this time of year under sunny warm skies with no vibers and surf with an old bro. Yo ho ho and a bottle of Brass Monkey.......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf