Change font size   Print view

July

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

July

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:26 pm

What up, haven't been around for a while but if you were on the 127th dimension of color also, then you'd probably understand. In any case, please raise your standards of exaggeration for better stories.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Re: July

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 am

Yo where ya been? Sure you have been getting tons of waves with all these late spring pulses this year......

Which July thread thou? I'll let ya know when I get some. Will be coastal for most of the week this week but not expecting much. Just hoping for sun 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am

Mostly rode a longboard last weekend. Sometimes fun/ Sometimes frustrating. Better than not surfing. Mind-altering substances helped a little.

No surf for me until I hit the Eastside of the Atlantic next week. Praying it wakes up for me.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Ah crap posted long winded report, tried to make one change, and was gone......... anyways 5 day run down the coast and back through the valley. More of a family friends trip then surf mish, but found a few on the 4th in MAGA land after Trump Pence locals had their AM sesh. Solo at classic refract wedge swell magnet and still pretty small. Long boarding is hard esp on this wave cause even at 2' its a punchy drop. If I was better at LB'ing could of gotten a bunch of decent ones otherwise got a few. Water was cold, local weather was dismal, marine layer and misty drizzle. Kept heading south to enjoy holiday festivities in the Cape Arago zone which was nicer weather wise. Sun came out on the 5th as usual. Didn't surf rest of the trip but stayed wet crabbing on my LB and swimming, exploring, and surfing with my kids. Oldest got her first head dip shampoo view to close out in the Battle Rock shorebreak and was stoked.

Looks like a 6-8 mid period later this week. Hoping to get some as with prob everyone else. Looking at wind forecast, water will be as cold as it gets. Also hope bars are better at spot that will take these conditions. I've had nothing but frustrating sessions there the last year.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am

Summa swell...... combed last Thurs eve and Fri mid day with an overnight stay. Waves were fun once I dialed in the right peak on Thus eve. Was a bit of a rat pack in the zone at 1st, so opted for another peak that was a consistent right, but mostly drops to walls that were super fat or petered out. Pretty typical. Crowd thinned thou as it got later and paddled down the beach to find serviceable and fun left WH peaks into the wind. Surfed until I got a terrible leg cramp that had me paddling in for relief. Logged a couple hours thou and got some fun ones, but shoulda hydrated a little more. Water was frio and glad I opted for the 5.5 mill and full rubber including my 1.5 mil gloves.

Friday late AM to about mid day was really fun. Sun was out wind was offshore side and the swell was still very consistent. Having dialed in the peak the night before knew right where to sit and caught a good amount of wedgey WH lefts that had nice workable walls allowing for a good turn or 2 with the occasional floater mixed in. Surfed until I was noodled. Sunshine, green water, and offshore winds made for some classic summa seshies at a spot that has mostly been giving me frustrating close outs. Had me remembering the type of waves I shaped my quad fish for. Board went really well.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Hit the rat race on prime time Saturday afternoon and rolled into a rockstar spot in the lot after driving by a couple
hundred yards of cars parked on 101. Weaved through the human traffic cones on the trail and found a quiet log
away from the brofest at second creek to get suited and booted. I hadn't surfed or worked out for over a month due
to a sudden neck/shoulder/nerve issue which flared up after the last time I surfed. The paddle out was easy and the
water was cold enough to sting my raw hands. All good signs. Plenty of fun, glassy waves in the waist to head range
but also plenty of blissed out kooks paddling for everything on their LBs. I opted for a 5'7" quad which had me a bit
more chippy in the line up when the sets rolled through and everyone and their mom wanted a hero wave. Swell dropped in accordance with the dropping tide and I called it good an hour or so after LT. As I sat on the log soaking up some low angled
rays I reflected on how good it felt to get waves but I couldn't ignore the shade thrown by my fellow human beings in the water and on the beach. Ah...life has relegated me to being an weekend warrior, what more did I expect? :roll:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 am

weekend warrior life....has hit me square in the face....heading out Friday morning....spending the night in Manzanita....back to back days, first time this year...hoping for some nuggets.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Nice Tex have fun doggy. Lower side of the tides have been at your jah sands IME.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Doooods.....Friday afternoon, we had SS basically all to ourselves. Epic colors, zero clouds, 8 plus feet of depth perception, offshore winds made for mannnnny little nuggets waist to chest from 2nd creek to 3rd creek. I kept looking for palm trees and shite man, it was insane how beautiful the day was.

Hit the south end where it was shoulder high but a freight train rip made it too paddle intensive for this ol bastard.

Came in after 4 + hours of fun in the water. We got out and headed down to Manzanita for a bbq with my buddy's parents who live down there full time.

Ended up asleep on the couch by 8:45 after a massive bowl of Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter ice-cream with a homemade brownie at the bottom of it.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:05 am

Nice shoulda blazed out Fri afternoon. I prob could have swung it. Sat which forecast looked surfable was busy, wife scheduled delivery of new kitchen appliances which didn't show until 2 and then I had to hook everything up :twisted: Buddy hit it on Sun and said it was pretty small and not really surfable without a log.

Looks like mostly doldrums next few weeks....... focusing on kitchen remodel and hoping to got some backpacking in up in the high Cascades. Hoping for some tropo swell in the Atlantic come mid August as I'll be back in RI. Point breaks and boardies would be very nice. 8)
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am

That RI trip sounds like it could be siiiiiick bro.

Went to Cannon Beach with the family....rented a skim board for my 14 yr old and a Torque 7'2 fish for the 12 yr old. We messed around in the slop at Needles....no trails that day. We all had fun, no real epic waves but my youngest caught a few on the inside. My oldest was doing pop shove its with the skim board. I took that Torque out and had a lot more fun that I thought I would. 3 inches of foam gets you in a lot earlier on the mush burgers.

Lazy day at the beach, certainly better than that heatwave in the valley.
Tex

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:30 am

The Atlantic finally woke up. The heat wave/ flat spell wasn't a waste though as the water temp is 65 or so. Currently roasting in a 3/2 in Wales. Fun LB session the other day and today was twin fin slash fest at the old stand by. Mellow crowd also. Not sure where everyone is... Swell is building, so hoping some of my favorite old nooks and crannies light up before heading to London on Monday...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Keep the insta pics coming bro!
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am

SS yesterday for a family outing. Nothing to write home about but I did bust out the 9’ LB. I can’t recall the last
time I rode one but it’s at least two years plus. Vaped it before paddling out and rode for an hour or so. Loads of
knee to waist peelers and relatively uncrowded for a Friday and it felt good to glide and cross step toodeloo. An all
around summer day at the beach, just lovely. 8)
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:38 pm

It's been a dry July for ol' Howly, but I'm now officially back on my shite! Been mostly content bouncing off the concrete at Pier Park this month, but yesterday made a little sojourn to cheese country to visit my pal, Bobby S, and found some velvet smooth condition and surprisingly decent midsummer swell. Had a hard time clearing my head at first, but slowly found my qi and stumbled back into form. Wave energy seemed a bit inconsistent, going from feckless to freight train abruptly, so that added to the challenge. Did, however, luck into a good tide state and eventually got a good hour of juiced-up head highs intermittent between chesties. Won some, lost some, but had a rad, good time with only one other suit and he was way yonder down the way.

Glad you guys are getting yours! Ultra stoked that Tex has two reports up this month! Not so stoked that SG is catching shade at shorties-- been sassed twice this year myself by bros who have no business doing so. Not impressed :roll:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf