Change font size   Print view

July

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: July

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Ah crap posted long winded report, tried to make one change, and was gone.........

For what it's worth, Major, I saw that post, so it didn't go entirely to waste. Sounded like a rad vacay! Have fun in RI too-- I grew up body surfing at Misquamicut, but never saw anyone surf there or any of the other area beaches. I remember going into local surf shops and always thinking they were a hustle because no one seemed to actually surf. I still don't believe there's waves in RI, so please prove me wrong because I still have family in the area and need an excuse to visit!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:53 am

You havent missed much Howly and not getting much myself been at least 3 weeks here since that last 6-8' short period wind swell. Saw the south pulsing a little last week and heard a few reports from way south, but was to busy at work to chase it and I know how those swells go locally hit or miss, mostly miss. Headed east to beat the heat in a nice high mtn lake with water temps around 75.

On another note, plenty of waves and quality set ups in RI that can hold legit long period swells. Swell can be fickle, but when its on during hurricane season (esp Sept) there are few places I'd rather be. My homie Sid Abruzzi an EC surf and skate ledge has run a legit surf shop (Water Brothers) since the late 70's in Newport.

This was one to remember maybe 5 years ago. 90% sure that's me head turning about to go there to the far left. I often sit a little inside off the main peak esp this day because I was riding a 5'11" JS Nitro I had at the time, kind of a fishy grovely shape when I shoulda been on a HPSB. Marie had blew past us so fast we thought we weren't getting any swell. Last full day on my annual family visit, had scored another swell earlier in the week, and had my boards pretty much packed. Then I got the call from my cousin the point was going off while I was strolling though town with the wifie. Had to bail, run home, unpack a board, and scored this sneaky pulse very uncrowded and as good as it gets. Even though the storm was well north off Nova Scotia, there was a short period of fetch in our window that eventually hit.

That said, 7 days is a gamble in early Aug. Scored a fun one last year, but you never know. Either way will stay salted on our island swimming, spearfishing, etc in the warm Atlantic at the least prepping for fall North Pac swell. 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Howly Wolf wrote: Not so stoked that SG is catching shade at shorties-- been sassed twice this year myself by bros who have no business doing so. Not impressed :roll:

I wasn't in the shade. Actually I was biting my tongue trying not to cast a dark shadow on clueless, overzelous kooks who lack
an understanding of proper surf etiquette. I'm getting long in the tooth and more crusty with age but I try not to bum out people in the water even when it's probably what they need.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:36 pm

That's a relief, smithgrind. If people are vibing the unicorn dude, what's the rest of us to do?!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Major Lazer wrote: That said, 7 days is a gamble in early Aug. Scored a fun one last year, but you never know. Either way will stay salted on our island swimming, spearfishing, etc in the warm Atlantic at the least prepping for fall North Pac swell. 8)

Fall can't get here soon enough. Much of the past month for me was working working working, so I can slack off later and make the most of Autumn surf. I'd better start lifting weights though and stretching too, because the desk job/skate combo has left the arms weak and wrecked at the moment.

Thanks for the pic btw-- all it took to make me a believer. Figured hurricane season was the deal and it's on now, so here's hoping you get some green light conditions on your trip!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Howly Wolf wrote:
Major Lazer wrote:Thanks for the pic btw-- all it took to make me a believer.

Haha felt like you primed me for that. In these days of social media hard not to know. But yeah winter and spring can be good too, but it gets cold AF. BTW Misquamicut is on the mainland over by Westerly from my recollection. I grew up surfing on Aquidneck Island in Newport. But there are some steep beachies over there around Misquamicut and a bit of a contrast to the majority rules rocky reef and point set ups, which I yearn for around here. Green Hill is pretty close and a thumping beachie that eats boards. Otherwise Pt Judith is a long classic east coast right hand point not to far, shite nothings to far in the ocean state. Go visit your family in mid September and you might just score.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm

As for fall, I can wait..... The older I get the less I want time to fly, even though it does the older you get. I enjoy keeping busy with other stuff and right now the rivers are warm and the high county is just getting prime for camping, hiking, and exploring. If I wanted to surf all the time, which I often I do, I'd prob live elsewhere which I often think about. But when fall comes and it's good (never guaranteed) it is always short and sweet, so hoping for some fun sessions between now and then before we area complaining about to big and/or to windy.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Nah, no phishing here. Picture's worth a thousand words is all. Grew up going to those mainland Westerly beaches and it's mindbending to see a swell so different than the thumpy, dumpy beach break of my recollection. Always heard that Naragansett has good waves, but never really scoped it out. If I do happen back, I'd look more into points/reefs than standard sandbars. Stoke over nostalgia any day.

Looks like a little push in the forecast to start August out right. It's a long way from Autumn, but looks worth the price of admission.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah Howly numbers look good and winds too. Honestly what I prefer (maybe a foot or two bigger and easterly winds) most of the time because it opens up the playing field. I'll be hunting........

North Pac can typically wake up as early as the end of the month, so I think we've made it though most of the mid summer doldrums which haven't been all to bad this summer.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 am

Ended July on a pretty high note getting reacquainted with the Atlantic. Solid couple of sessions on the Gower Peninsula and then two days of storm surf at the beach that started it all for me. Ground zero for welsh surfing and skateboarding, Langland Bay. Would be my local if I never left and a few heads recognized me but there was also a few scowls. Big messy wind swell about 10' at 6secs with howling winds but this beach makes sense out of these conditions and wraps into a bay with a point, a couple of reefs and super fun shore break. A few options but it still gets wedged. I used to avoid it a lot when I lived there but the novelty of walking there from my parent's house was too appealing. Anyway, got a bunch of waves, reconnected with a few people. Saw the dude that educated me on Tom Curren at age eight and snaked a few waves from some local heavies bc why not....? Also, I believe I pulled the best forehand floater of my life on a heaving shore break right but whatever... My cornish twin fin is back in the rafters in the parents garage and the 3/2mm wettie (water was mid-60s) is hanging back up. Stoke level 8.5/10.

Back now and amping for Autumn in the Pacific like the rest of you...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf