Change font size   Print view

Augustus Pablo

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Augustus Pablo

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Augustus Pablo

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 pm

If ya know you know...... warm waters and hoodless 4 mill fish sessions last few days, but nothing to brag about. Avoided the crowds in the water for the most part, but finding a last min camp site was one in a million. Had the fam along so couldn't totally rat out on the DL, but we relied on on a decent dispersed option that offered a very quiet nights rest a way from the masses. I bet every CG from Newport to Astoria and beyond was booked. Bailed ship back home to avoid the zombie apocalypse on the HWYs today even though I would of liked to stay for AM sesh. Will live to fight another day...... on a side note daughter's 1st sesh sans booties. Told her OR probs.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Pedro? Doc? Koonas? waiting for weekend wave confirmation... :?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:40 am

Wow....Augustus.

Living in Seattle, back when Tower Records was where I got all my music. I remember trying to figure out what Reggae even was as a musical genre. Rolled the dice, picked up an Augustus Pablo tape, brought it home and dropped it into my mini boom box. Instant connection, fell in love that day probably in 87 or 88. Still have him as one of my all time favs.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:01 am

The sounds of late summer.

Post your epic and not so epic Augustus reports here if ya didn't get it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 am

Haven't listened to AP in ages, but probably should, since it is, in fact, peak melodica season. BTW North Coast radio has an awesome reggae show on Friday evenings. Can't recall the station number (irie), and heck I don't know if it's even on anymore, but perfect sounds for those golden hour drives up (or down) the 101.

Had an auspicious Sunday sesh at shorties-- pulled into an overflowing lot, but my go-to parking spot was open, so took it as a sign to finally wet the blade-- a fresh 6'4 HPSB, shaped by the man, Dan M. Conditions would've certainly favored the egg, but I'm aiming to dial in the new stick as much as possible before fall and yesterday's short period swell had enough size and oomph to do just that. Most of the first session scrambling around, getting used to the feel, but can proudly say I caught the first wave I committed to and can't ask for a better start than that. Second sesh was much better-- crowd thinned, leaving a handful of regulars and empty peaks. Caught way more and scored a right that hinted at the potential of what I'm riding. Still lots of work to be done, but I'm pretty damn psyched!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Sun Morning wrong spot, wrong board. Just wrong. But did run into Nasty. Unreal.

Sun evening. Far better. Might have seen you Howlie. I was also dialing in a new (to me) board. Def some serious kook moments for me on a twin keel fish but when shite came together I was pretty stoked to be back in the Pacific.

Amazing difference in sea temp between the morning at Seaside and evening at Shorties.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Twin keels can be weird backside....... after experimenting prefer quad fish or MR twin trailer set up I think.

Shorites is always colder. Place just gets the upwhelling. Another reason not to surf there. :lol:

Nasty still surfs?

Swell looks best today. Was all set to fang it until my wife noticed a puddle under our car after I left for work and after inspection looks like a coolant leak. Wouldn't of been an immediate issue if I was driving 15 mins but..... fooking valley probs!!!!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Spent wrote: I was also dialing in a new (to me) board. Def some serious kook moments for me on a twin keel fish but when shite came together I was pretty stoked to be back in the Pacific.

Been wondering how that twin keel feel has been going for you...deets for the peeps?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I actually had better luck on it backside but that was also b/c the lefts were better at both spots. The issue was take off timing. It catches waves really well but is ready to squirt as soon as your in. So damn fast. I had to adjust my body position to stall it a little before dropping in. That took going over the falls a few times before I got that worked out. Did one backside snap I was super excited about and the amount of down the line speed is unreal. Also, pulled into a few small close out tubes on it, with ease as its so easy to snap quickly under the lip. Made some terribly awkward turns on my forehand that I would not have kooked on a thruster or quad. Have to remind myself to surf it more off the nose and not crank turns off my back foot so much. I surfed another twin keel back home that was easier to surf (wider but not as thick) but it has nowhere near that amount of squirt as this one. Not going to be my daily driver for sure but it will be rad to use from time to time. Just a different type of surfing.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Howly Wolf wrote:Haven't listened to AP in ages

Hopefully I fixed that for you.... bless up. Every 3rd Sunday brethren you must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DxKiRHAf4

Raido rydums....... Kid Hops KEXP errry Sat AM.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 am

Kid Hops must be Old @ss Man Hops by now....such a legend in Sea-Town.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby smithgrind » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:54 am

Major Lazer wrote:Image
[/img]

No need to be stealth here in the pnw. It's legal.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Yep Major, AP is back on my radar! Got him on deck for my next drive to the coast. Been listening to the soundtrack from "Rad" lately to get amped on my shortboard, but now that the swell seems to be mellowing again, should probably tone it down a notch with some roots rock reggae.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Tex wrote:Kid Hops must be Old WISE Man Hops by now....such a legend in Sea-Town.

Fixed it for you Tex. KEXP one of the few good things in Seattle otherwise F Seattle :lol:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf