Change font size   Print view

Augustus Pablo

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Augustus Pablo

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Right there with you bro....F that place....I will admit the only thing I like about Seattle is their pro sports teams and ferry's to get me to sweet breaks.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 pm

First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Last minute decision to go out last night. Got down the trail and got bummed at the crowds and my board choice. Walked back to the car park to kill time and get the twin keel. Paddled out and sat on a nice peak and the waves got better with the dropping tide and slackening wind. Fun couple of hours of nice shaped thigh to chest high peelers. Now, I'm out for a solid week at least.
Spent

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Sitting across the beach in Asilomar at a nerdy energy conference. May have to pull the trigger, rent a board and wetsuit to catch some crumblers this week.
Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:41 pm

barefeet on a surfboard....been a while, it really is nice to not have 7 mils of rubber between your feet and board.
Got some fun but short rides in Asilomar at Sunset.....i could get used to this.
Tex

Postby Spent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Yeah Tex. Barefoot can make mediocre surf feel a lot more fun for those of us in thick neoprene all year round...
Spent

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Got another session in yesterday, had the spot much more dialed and 2nd day on the rental board I had it figured out much better. Probably got 40+ waves in 2.5 hours...super short rides but still had some juice. Had to weave between boogers and body surfers but everyone was super chill.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Late-in-the-day, late-in-the-swell session at Shorties with the new board. Some action over at first, but given all the waves are shaped like a learning curve for me at the moment, I opted for some less crowded waves up the way. Surfrider's plan to thin out the lineup with water quality warnings seems to have worked, as the lineup was a bit mellower than I've encountered recently. Pretty sunsets, decent conditions, low level crowd-- felt very much at peace, which is what that spot is all about for me (I gripe because I care). I do sorta wish I had opted for my G &S egg to make the most of the waves, but still adjusting my technique and center of gravity on the short board. Progressing pretty quickly though and made a few drops that I could be proud of; hopefully I'll have technique/center of gravity worked out a little better when things ramp up a bit.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Tex wrote:barefeet on a surfboard....been a while, it really is nice to not have 7 mils of rubber between your feet and board.
Got some fun but short rides in Asilomar at Sunset.....i could get used to this.

Sweet I've had some good sessions at Asilomar. Really beautiful in that Central Cal zone, semi rugged with little coves and rock reef sand combo spots. Water can be turquoise blue as well.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Also expected more reports given bump I saw in the forecast just before I left town.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 pm

who from? all five of us? :D
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 am

Ha true. Miss Pra's reports bout regular sessions. Squids been MIA prob to busy to bother like the few of us here. Heard there was a pretty good swell last week. Seems like its been a surfable summer with a fair amount of bumps here and there and winds have been chill most of this month and looks glassy as hell on the cam right now with a clean little 12 seconds pulsing. Maybe that's why it is so smokey? Makes the city life that much more painful. Took the bus today. Pretty depressing.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:00 am

Pra is in NYC getting all glammed up.

I'm going surfing now shortly bc, I worked like an a-hole last week.
Spent

Postby BOX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am

I've been getting out about 1-2 times a week this summer. I'm at Agate pretty much every Sunday morning and I try to squeeze in a mid-week session when I can. Was out at Otter last night. Wasn't too bad. Only a few heads in the water. Maybe 5 total including myself.

Waves seemed kind of soft, but honestly, that only helped me out. I'm doing a lot better at getting the timing down and "catching" waves. I feel like I catch most that I go after (in regards to board propulsion) but I'm still having trouble landing steeper drops once I have them. It is almost all attributed to my slow, weak pop-up. My pearling issue has seemingly improved, but now I'm either missing them completely or getting up after it's already broken. Spent some time in the whitewater last night trying to get it down and seemed good to go, but was still too slow when I went back out. I'm frustrated that I'm still hung up on something so basic, but my skills elsewhere and as a whole are improving, so I'm focusing on that positive for now while working on the negatives.

I don't post my surf reports very often any more. Figured "Kooktime with Box" was getting old (or would after 1-2 posts a week). Just assume I'm either really excited about doing something simple everyone else can do easily, or I'm really frustrated about not being able to do something simple everyone else can do easily. Either way, hardly makes for a riveting read. For example, please re-read that last paragraph... :wink:

I dig reading everyone else's reports, though, so please keep those coming :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Don't paddle to hard Spent smoke has made its way to the coast :(

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=ORZ001&warncounty=ORC007&firewxzone=ORZ601&local_place1=2%20Miles%20SSE%20Cannon%20Beach%20OR&product1=Air+Quality+Alert&lat=45.8956&lon=-123.9589

People can take the following precautions:
- Be aware of smoke concentrations in your area and avoid the places
with highest concentrations.
- Avoid strenuous outdoor activity in smoky conditions.
- If you have heart disease, asthma or other respiratory ailments,
or are over 65, you have a higher risk of illness from wildfire
smoke.
- Small children and pregnant women are also at increased risk.
These residents are encouraged to stay indoors.
- People suffering from asthma or other respiratory problems should
follow their breathing management plans or contact their healthcare
providers.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf