Change font size   Print view

Augustus Pablo

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Augustus Pablo

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm

yeah cycled 10 miles or so in this crappy air and then went surfing in it. Lungs feel a little tight for sure.

Anyway, found a fun sand bar that really wants to behave like a sand bottom right hand point. Even with the draining tide and increasing wind it held some nice shape and provided a few surprsing runners. Pretty constant paddle though, unless you got out and jogged up the beach to the hop off spot. Still on the twin keel tip. Even got Nasty out for a few. Lots of spots working today. No need to surf with everyone else.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Ah sounds like you might of found the sand bar...... usually do the walk around on the 3 or 4 turn good ones. Good to know it's still there if is the Sam spot. Keep on the DL and make sure Nasty does too. 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 am

Last few days had me on a mission to the central coast, checking out a spot that's been on my radar for awhile, but had only ever seen from the eye in the sky. Figured the geology was interesting enough to warrant the drive and a few backup spots were close enough to get my fix. Well, all backups went out the window when I got there to find two guys surfing a long running right, consistently HH even on that modest 5 @ 8. You guys would've made fine work of it. Anyhow, these guys pretty much wrapped up their session soon after I got there and due to many visible hazards, I was pretty wary about surfing it alone. Did a lot of watching, waiting, more watching, some sleeping, waiting for the fog to burn off, blah blah blah. Was starting to get "the fear" when all of sudden this guy, apparently a well-known area surf photographer, shows up amped to go out. Based on all my observation, it didn't seem like the right tide state to go out, but I figured this was as perfect an opportunity as I was going to get, so suited up and proceeded to get brutalized in the in-zone. Caught one ok wave, but mostly just settled for exercise. Dude caught some good ones, but afterwards admitted conditions were pretty junky. As soon as he left, conditions settled and four locals showed up to surf that right.

So a lot of words here for a lame duck session, but I'm still pretty stoked because now I know that this spot delivers and have a better idea of when/how to surf it. Plus I gave it a shot, which is a better feeling than the old "what-if?" Took the long way home and got a few more sessions with better results. Now back to the grind, but feeling refreshed with some new goals and the motivation to work toward them. They're definitely within reach, but some lap swimming is definitely in order to get there...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 pm

After a long week was getting so amped to pounce the 4@8 on Sat until I found out its Hood to Coast. :twisted:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Hwys 26 and 6 are fine though right?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Race is not on 26 kinda crisis crosses it, but 1000's of people will be driving the 26 to get home from Seaside where it terminates coupled with usual summer metro weekend traffic. 6 prolly not to bad other than portion of 26 required to get to and from. Monday-Tues looks like swell.... figures. :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am

Celebrated back to school yest with a wokingman's eve sesh. 7' bump and winds lead me to sewer pickle creek. Paddled out to a pack of rambunctious young rippers pulling into surprising little barrels, boosting airs with spinners, and tearing apart any open wall they could find. It was Californiaesque as several were hoodless with bushy blond mops.

It was tricky thou and fast and the good corners were limited. Felt fat, slow, and old after not surfing for 3 weeks and mostly rolling around in the sand on the beach and drinking new england hazeys on my vacation. Wrestled a handful from the frothing dogs of the north coast hyped on a little bit of swell, but didn't really surf them well. Almost got in to a surprisingly round one, but got bucked and pined to the sand in 3' feet of water then hit my board with my head on my way up. Fish felt weird and prob would of done better on my shorty but who knows.

Stayed the night hoping for some good ones and less heads. Early am open beach was wind molested and bumpy so ended up where I left off last night. Mostly just left over swell getting in and kinda closed out. Groveled a few and called it quits after an hour. Still super busy over there and guess PPS is the exception starting early. Who knows other than now I am working the late shift and could be getting off in an hour.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Worked remotely in Newport this week, or more precisely, slacked remotely since I pretty much just surfed the entire time. Rolled into Agate at the tail end of that 7 @ 10 bump hoping for some proper surf, but just ended up battling howling wind and brutal low-tide closeouts. Awesome warrior session, sweet sunset, but decent waves were few and far between.

Next day was better with some decent rights coming through in a weird mix of WNW and NW swell. It was fogged out most of the day and I caught multiple sessions solo or with minimal heads in the water. Not even the after-work crowd showed and I surfed alone in the early evening fog for at least an hour, communing with the resident harbor seal and dialing in the shortboard. Not the best waves Agate can muster, but caught some good rides and got a solid opportunity to click with the board without worrying about Box calling me a kook :)

Lots of potential yesterday, but only had time for a morning sesh at low tide-- the rights were showing but breaking in shallow water. Super clean though and while the shoreline was fogged out, good visibility in the water. Got some stoke and bounced out.

Hoping to make it out again this weekend or at least hit up a labor day sale-- my backup wetsuit is leaking pretty heavily and it's always nice to have a (potentially) dry option for the multi-day trips.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Oh, also I rolled into the wayside with some AP on the stereo and ended up scoring some free weed. Some visitor flying home who couldn't bring the stash. Jah bless.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 am

Bless up!

Have to wonder how much weed gets stuffed in the trash can at PDX...
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 am

without worrying about Box calling me a kook

Ha! No worries about that happening. If you are still around Newport, I'll be out at Agate today. Look for (or look out for) the real kook with a bright green foamie.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf