Change font size   Print view

"It'll Get Easier"

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

"It'll Get Easier"

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: "It'll Get Easier"

Postby BOX » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Well, I can only speak as a beginner, but it hasn't gotten easier for me. That isn't the same as not progressing, just that the more I learn, the more I have to learn, and the more I am challenged by it. When I first started out I was happy if I could stand on my board for even a couple seconds. Now I'm focused on paddling, timing, dropping in properly, learning to trim left and right, etc. For me, that stuff is way harder to learn, therefore it hasn't gotten easier. But I have progressed, which I think is the gist of the wisdom he was trying to impart. I would rephrase it as "with practice the stuff you are learning today will someday be easier to do, but as long as you keep at it this sport will always keep you challenged" (or so I assume, some of the more advanced set can testify to that last part :wink: )
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Not sure what "it" means. If you really give a sh*it* about surfing it can be a painfully complicated relationship
where one makes progress on some level and discovers shortcomings and disappointment on other levels. I
don't think you're overthinking it at all. A simple statement like that can be kind words of encouragement at a needed
time but for me surfing isn't easier, just different. I wish I cared less about it.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm

I think the basic components of surfing makes it generally easier in the following ways:

1. Learning how to read the water/understanding rips/bottom contours takes some stress out of the equation because your wave knowledge increases and you can navigate more comfortably in the Ocean

2. Wave etiquette- learning how to proficiently move in and around other surfers while trying to catch waves also takes stress out of the equation. I used to have fear of getting run over or dropping in, that no longer exists.

3. Solid duck diving- once I FINALLY figured out how to duck dive, getting outside to the line up got exponentially easier.

4. Learning how to roll with a wave underwater without getting too thrashed....also because I am not a big wave surfer in any stretch of the imagination.

5. Learning your board- understanding what it can and cannot do for you in certain wave conditions will amplify your sessions over time.

After that, it really comes down to how far you want to take your surfing skills and how long it takes to get there. For many years, my goal was to continually step down in board size. My definition of a good surfer was predicated on the ability to ride super short boards....so I kept working my way down to smaller boards and quit that goal after spending 3 weeks in Costa Rica on a 5'0 Mini Simmons Hull replica.

Now my goal is to just get more water time and enjoy that time for what it is, time with my brother who we spread his ashes down at SS some years back, time to absorb the natural beauty of the water, sky, waterfalls, sand, trees, mountains, catch a few fun rides, make some turns and call it a day.

If my goal was to get airs or barrells on every wave, I might be more frustrated but those are not my goals, only to be fully present while catching bands of energy that have been traveling for thousands of miles before they found me.

Tex
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf