Change font size   Print view

Wibur Kookmeyer?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wibur Kookmeyer?

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Well BOX, my hunch is that if you stick with this whole surfing thing, its only a matter of time before you have some freaky stories like mine in the jetty.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm with Tex on that. And if it's not you putting yourself in dicey predicaments, Box, it'll be other people that you may feel obliged to help. One of the weirder sessions for me this year involved helping a girl get out of a fast moving topographic rip. I paddle in, only to realize that she's deaf, so had to pantomime instructions to get her out. As soon as I lead her to the safe zone her boyfriend comes paddling up from way down the beach, paddles into shore with her, and gets all the hugs.

Anyway, B, you have two topos in your hood known for sucking out beginners, so better get buff, practice the escape route, and perhaps learn a little ASL as well. :D
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm

In reality there are about a half a dozen spots that break consistently throughout the year on the entire coast. Sure there are often seasonal sand build ups that can happen every decade plus or minus, but if you are seeing a wave that is breaking consistently and have for years there is a reason no one is surfing it. The Newport area has a surprising number of surfers these days, so if there was a good peak offering legit surfable waves, IMO there would be heads on it.

Oh and the wave Tex mentions is a legit and fairly heavily surfed wave. And albeit a total mush burg, can be fun when most of the coast in that zone is maxed out. Just got to know the tide window.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:56 pm

ML....you came EVER so close to spot naming LOL!!! At least close to what we always called that spot!
Tex

Postby BOX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Well, Howly, if you ever have to paddle me back to shore I'll be sure to remember to give you a big hug :wink: Seriously, though, good work.

The Newport area has a surprising number of surfers these days, so if there was a good peak offering legit surfable waves, IMO there would be heads on it.

Major, that's what I thought which is why I asked. Seems strange that it looked so good yet I've only seen folks out there once (at least for one of the spots). Figured I was missing something. Like the opportunity to drown...
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:26 am

Oh hey OSP - just popping in to say hello.... haven't been here in awhile.

I surfed points way south (N. California south) recently. Drove most of the OR coast to get there but nothing much working until South Beach in Crescent City.

Anyone feel the shaker last night? You central coast guys maybe?
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 pm

X-squid wrote:but nothing much working until South Beach in Crescent City.

That would explain it..... waves are always better in "Cali".
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Major Lazer wrote:
X-squid wrote:but nothing much working until South Beach in Crescent City.

That would explain it..... waves are always better in "Cali".

It's true... and official:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essenti ... story.html
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm

I almost didnt leave Asilomar....frankly it sent me off into a bit of a tailspin....spending a week that close to surf and being able to get some work in at the same time, literally put on the flip flops, grab a board and a towel and head down to the peak, was a bit much for me.

It started me on a path of asking myself why the f@#K do I live in Portland again????
Tex

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:38 pm

X-squid....glad to see you posting again, I wasnt really getting worried, more curious but surfing in ca is a legit excuse to take a brief hiatus from the OSP.
Tex

Postby X-squid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah not intentionally not posting, but I actually peck out prose for a living and took a side gig writing for a legit sports site through the end of the baseball season so, as much as I enjoy OSP banter, I just haven't had much time for it.

And yeah, surfing pretty much anywhere is an excuse to not post about surfing. Not until you're back at least.

Never surfed that stretch of California before - hit a couple random spots just south of the OR border, but South Beach was the best by far - long sandy beach break. Hit it late in the afternoon, mid week. Only a handful in the water and I was the only one out not on a log - nothing spectacular but a nice change of scenery. I imagine there's a point break off the breakwater further out if the conditions are right.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Not really.... more a reef break and nothing totally epic. Fun drop but kinda short maybe one or to good hacks. Still a nice peak, but tight take off and locs dogs are on it. One of the few spots and maybe the only Surfrider has gained permits to enhance and make more surfable by dynamiting some rocks. Granted this was a long time ago and their mission and regs may have been a little different and a little more lax. Other than a trip to Santa Cruz, SB was the 1st spot I surfed on the WC when I moved out west. Same characteristics as SS. Mushy long rollers mostly but one good chunk of sand that produces a wedgey ramp on the right swell.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Tex wrote:It started me on a path of asking myself why the f@#K do I live in Portland again????

Hahaha. I've asked myself that weekly for the last decade. Would love to cash out. Wife has other ideas.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Major Lazer wrote:
Tex wrote:It started me on a path of asking myself why the f@#K do I live in Portland again????

Hahaha. I've asked myself that weekly for the last decade. Would love to cash out. Wife has other ideas.

3rds on that - wife would like to go back to CA, could probably afford it with the housing market as it is currently, but then I start to think of all the reasons I left CA in the first place... hint: surfing wasn't one of them.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Yep middle class conundrum of not having to many options to get out. Portland has jumped the shark. Expensive AF, traffic, kinda dirty, homeless issues and no real plan to deal with it, and now this smoke last 2 years. Puts a damper on our already short summers. Oh and also the e-scooters now! Getting to be a mini silicon valley here. Honestly I was over it within 5 years of moving here just didn't try hard enough to get out. Now wife wont leave. Could be worse, could be better IMO.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf