Change font size   Print view

Wibur Kookmeyer?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Wibur Kookmeyer?

Postby smithgrind » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 pm

So Wilbur still waxes poetic about wave sliding even though he gave up the ghost a while ago...this is a recent FB post of his.

"What you think you see here is not real. At least not as you think. The wave you see is the physical reaction of an unseen force that moves through the medium that is the water you see. The surfer is propelled down the face of the wave by gravity. However those are only mere moments. What is truly happening is he is being propelled forward by an invisible energy band that has moved through the water four thousands of miles. It has reached this place where the depth of water is less than the height of the band and it is forced to double over on itself. as it does, it pitches its energy up and forward. It carries water forward at this point, and only at this point is the displacement of water significant. Before now, the band moved through the water, at this point, the water moves with it. And when all the elements come together, direction, height, bottom contour, depth, tide stage, wind, human spirit, you may witness such a thing as this. I've ridden countless waves. Many of which I still ride when I close my eyes at night."
smithgrind
greystoke

Re: Wibur Kookmeyer?

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm

box....you getting this bro?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Got it, Tex :) Not only informational, but a fine piece of writing as well I might add...

I've got a question about waves, and maybe I should post this elsewhere, but I know of a spot where almost every time I go the waves seem perfect for surfing (to my beginner eyes). I visit the spot all year round and even before I started surfing I admired the waves there. It's not a hidden spot. It's part of a popular area out in the open. You would have to hike a trail to get down there, but not nearly the length of SS. More like the staircases at Agate or Otter. I'm fairly confident that if I mentioned where it was at most, if not all of you, would at least be familiar with the area. It appears to me to have a sandy bottom. I've seen it at high tide and low tide and don't recall ever seeing any large rocks out there (though the beach is surrounded by rocks on each side) nor do I see where the waves are breaking around anything out in the water. The lines come in even, fat, and typically slow vs. pitching. The beach isn't very big, but could definitely hold a handful of heads on a mission. I've never seen anyone surf there. There's another place right near there that I also think would be good, but have only seen surfers out there once. My question is... Why doesn't anyone surf these spots? What is it that I don't know?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Its Oregon and its common for everyone to stick to each other like flies to shite bc most of the time we have to. There's a lot of coast but only a handful of dependable spots that get surfed regularly but we all find waves at other spots from time to time and it can pay off to give it a go. Find a friend or two and check it out on a small day. We are coming up to Landlord season though and I heard a story about someone getting chased out of a North coast spot last week. So, now might be the time to widen the menu choices and bring some friends.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 pm

smithgrind wrote:And when all the elements come together, direction, height, bottom contour, depth, tide stage, wind, human spirit, you may witness such a thing as this. I've ridden countless waves. Many of which I still ride when I close my eyes at night.

We're just stardust riding starlight, so freak out... far out.

Why did Wilbur give up surfing? Not like it's my business, but he obviously loves it-- just hope he's okay.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi Team,

I am thinking you are talking about a spot that breaks just south of tunnel on 101.....It can be fun but doesnt really pitch and so it can be deceptively hard to actually get into the waves, on a short board at least.

I also think Wilbur might still Surf, he just doesnt post here anymore....
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 pm

He’s a man of many interests and surfing kinda dropped out of his priorities. I knew the goose was cooked
when he posted pics of himself giving his board away to someone he knows. Wilbur’s status on the OSP is
legendary...Bettygate comes to mind :P
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

holy shite....i didnt know he actually walked away from the surf. He seemed brutally honest about what went down with Betty.
Tex

Postby BOX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks, Spent. That makes sense and I might just have to go and try it out sometime. Was just afraid that there was some danger in the water that I didn't know about that was keeping people away. With my skill level I didn't want to be winning any Darwin awards out there...

I am thinking you are talking about a spot that breaks just south of tunnel on 101...

Tex, I think you're thinking too far north. I live central coast, so this would be, say, south of Yachats :wink:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 am

I think I know where you mean Box. Yes, it does get surfed. Maybe not frequently. Its probably not that much more dangerous than your usual spots. Pay attention to whats going on with the rips and check it out the next small glassy day. But yeah, bring a friend or at least let someone know what you're doing. I'll paddle out with you over Labor day weekend if its happening... I want to hit Newport south soon...
Spent

Postby BOX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Spent, if you're in the Newport area and want to paddle out together, I'm totally down as long as you're ok being out in the water with someone at my lower skill level. I should be around Labor Day weekend, so if you head this way for sure hit me up :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Back in 93, me and my best friend were living in Eugene. Our local spot was Florence which is basically a shite hole of a surf spot, I actually never saw it get good there just south of the jetty.

Anyway, we were checking out the inside of the jetty and well wouldnt you know....there was a sweet peak right in the middle that just kept breaking super consistently. Me and my buddy were stoked and figured we needed to check that shite out. Now I will remind you that neither he nor I had ever surfed between two jetties....we had no clue about tidal effects on rivermouths and had even less of a clue if the tide was coming in or going out.

So like a couple of dummies, we jump off the rocks and head for that peak. Well, we were getting sucked out and over that peak so fast is scared the shite out of me. We were getting ripped right toward a most fucked up river mouth.

Anyway, I started angling back for the rocks and literally threw myself on the rocks.

My buddy got sucked out another 300 yards before he hucked himself on the jetty too....nobody gave any shits about dings on boards that day.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 am

Currents freak me out more than anything else. Passed up some hefty kegs because there was too much water moving around for my taste. One northy beach in particular comes to mind-- scoped it a handful of times, but never see anyone out, even on primo days, and it just gives me the creeps to paddle out alone. Even the rips at the usual suspects give me the shaky leg sometimes, especially on days I might need them most. Just something to work out in my own head, but tends to top my concerns when surfing new spots.

Box-- no Darwin award for you, taking your time to scope out new spots is key. There are areas in your neck of the woods that are definitely not as friendly as they appear, so good on you for taking the time to observe before charging out!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Sounds good, Box.
Spent

Postby BOX » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Tex, that's exactly why I'm asking these kinds of questions before I end up with a story like that of my own... :shock:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf