Change font size   Print view

Wibur Kookmeyer?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wibur Kookmeyer?

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 am

Was chatting with a South Coast loc a few months back-- 3rd or 4th generation Oregonian, great grandfather the foreman of the Langlois Cheese Factory-- and he asks if I'm from Oregon. Told him no, I'm from Colorado originally, but live in PDX these days. He gives me a look and says I'm better off telling people I'm from Colorado. Don't I know it, man...

I have had a lot of fun in this stupid city though-- mostly on Sandy Boulevard.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Yeah tough to be a Portland guy..... once you leave the metro bubble no one really likes you esp coastal. We are the scum who are slowly ruining this state and vote for Kate Brown. That said I know natives that grew up coastal, live here now, and wouldn't have it any other way. Guess it depends who you talk to. Citywise had more fun living outside of SF. Better views, better food, same music scene, and great surf within the city limits.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 pm

"Where are you from?" always such a loaded question...On the OR coast it can often be a provincial mindset in which to discriminate against someone that you deem inferior or a threat. It makes everything sooo easy...'cause life is like, really
hard :mrgreen:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby X-squid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm

"Where you from?"

Unless you're in a bar in Reykjavik and some drunk blonde Nordic bombshell with braided pigtails is asking... yeah.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:20 pm

I always have a hard time with that question..... born in CO raised on the East Coast moved to Southern Oregon at 19 bounced between the valley and the coast while spending a few winters shredding the Rockies in CO then back coast for a few solid years, then coastal Bay Area for 8 years, and now PTown for the last 12. American bastard? :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Surfing aside, there's very little that's tough about being a healthy privileged straight white employed dude with a roof over his head in Portland. Not to sound too new-agey here bc I generally hate that sh*t but it really is what you make of it and the attitude you chose to have.

As to the where you're from question. I do pity Americans with that question. You guys do have a hard time with that one. I've never once questioned where I'm from and I've lived in three different countries for decades at a time.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

Spent wrote:Surfing aside, there's very little that's tough about being a healthy privileged straight white employed dude with a roof over his head in Portland. Not to sound too new-agey here bc I generally hate that sh*t but it really is what you make of it and the attitude you chose to have.

As to the where you're from question. I do pity Americans with that question. You guys do have a hard time with that one. I've never once questioned where I'm from and I've lived in three different countries for decades at a time.

1st World problems, for real. I've lived all over too (Japan, WA, even a short stint in Memphis) but am definitely "from" Southern California. Maybe an Oregonian by proxy at this point (13 years now.) Doubt I'll live in PDX until I croak though.

And to bring this convo back around to where it all started - I was in the military with a dude that was the spitting image of (the Surfer mag) Wilbur Kookmeyer. Uncanny, really. I'll see if I can find a pic of the dude and post it here.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

Wilbur.jpg
Wilbur.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 11862 times

Real life Wilbur Kookmeyer
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:29 am

Classic. I owned the rubber figurine and wish I still had it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am

I always get thrown off by the "where are you from" question as well. I've moved around a lot. Born in Columbus, OH, but moved to Tampa, FL, a year or two later. A couple years after that, Pacifica, CA. A couple of years later, Memphis, TN. Stayed there almost ten years before the family moved to the Minneapolis area of MN. Did a few years of high school there before heading to school in the booming metropolis of Eau Claire, WI. Never liked living up north, so traded that for Fort Collins, CO and lived there for 12 decent years. Eventually wife wanted to move to the ocean, I didn't want to give up the mountains, so after checking out some areas on both coasts, we ended up in PDX. Lived there for 5 years until the mrs. decided it wasn't close enough to the ocean. I was in between jobs, she can work anywhere, the kids were in transition years in school anyway, so here we are in Newport.

When someone asks where I'm from, I just say "nomad"
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am

I don't know your wife and I already like her. Mine wont budge and thinks moving would screw up the kids socially and mentally. Additionally given our time on the central coast and some of the characters we meet and people we came across (she worked at a preschool in Newport) the coast is off the table until kids are out of the nest. That was a long time ago though and I will admit she has moved based on my jobs and decisions our entire relationship. In the end I made the decision to move to PDX based on a job that started out good but has been pretty stressful recently with a potential layoff looming over my head. I am also the sole provider. Corvallis I thought was a perfect middle ground and an hour to Newport which no traffic sounded like a dream, but didn't get the support to take a job offer I had. So yeah have a roof over my head a job and a healthy family. So just suck it up grind it out take whatever surf I can get and hope I stay healthy and don't get sick like my Dad did 2 years after retiring at 65.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am

ML I worry about that shite too - my dad retired after 30+ years as a cop (at 59) and was promptly diagnosed with the big C.

I'm planning semi-retirement after my kids are grown and out (8-10 years). That'll put me mid-50s... hopefully I can still ride something under 9' by then.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Ok, this conversation has been all over the board, but in regards to those spots that I mentioned earlier here are some pics I took the other day of one of them. It was actually only a so-so day out there. I've seen these lines much, much cleaner. These look ok to my inexperienced eye, but wondered what you all thought. Anyway, here they are:
Attachments
lines 1.JPG
Possible rip or channel?
lines 1.JPG (32.89 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
lines 2.jpg
lines 2.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
lines 3.jpg
lines 3.jpg (28.72 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm from Seattle....born and raised, loved living there in the 80's and 90's. Now I totally hate that city. Portland is getting worse every day. I have to agree with ML....Corvallis is the best compromise for surfers with wives that will not move to the beach. Kudos to you BOX. If Port Angeles did not have a massive meth problem, that would be my first choice.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf