Change font size   Print view

y-EWWW.

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

y-EWWW.

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Word from surfrider is that "the main creek at Short Sand Beach has failed water quality testing". They say there's too much bacteria in the water, which from the smell of things last time I was there, comes as no surprise. Just another item to add to ML's list of reasons not to surf there, I suppose.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: y-EWWW.

Postby Spent » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

In all honesty I'm more worried about breathing the PDX air over the last few days... we need rain either way...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Roger that. Crap air definitely surpasses a swim at your own risk situation. On the plus side, I'm impressed no one's accidentally torched Shorties yet; people seem to be respecting the burn ban, so maybe there's a little bit of hope for us after all.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Agate did all right during the last water quality testing, though the levels do get concerning from time to time.

Big Creek, however, which lets out right at Agate Beach Wayside proper had a concerning 341 with anything above 104 considered a health advisory... :shock:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:07 pm

We just love these places to death. Sad to be complicit in it to a certain extent.

As for the water quality at Oswald, no discernible odors/tastes, which is a good sign. It was much grosser when that gray calf beached a few years ago. And yet, as gnarly it was to session in the outflow of a decaying whale, I do credit the oils in the water for a luxurious sheen in my hair that has gone unrivaled before or since.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:14 pm

SS has hit critical @ss for a few years now. Too many BMs and coffee bladders for the system, no can handle.
The state park admin needs to close it all down and address the issue properly but I wonder if there is enough $
and time allocated for such a project. I try not to join the flush brigade and download at other spots before arriving there. :idea:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:10 pm

From my understanding or I thought, there is a new septic system that was installed 2 years ago to alleviate the yearly issue. It's visible from the trial on the left side just as your walking down from the north lot. A bunch of trees were cleared to accommodate it. It is a larger system than previous designed to accommodate higher volumes and I don't remember the usual late summer fecal issues last year? Perhaps there was a leak or maybe it was from the lower restroom, which is not on the same system given its location. Not sure if any upgrades were made there.

Havent surfed and been out of town for a few weeks now, but prior to that dialed in a pretty fun sand bar that was making very good sense out of a not so special 5' at 8. In fact was serving up better and longer waves (3 or 4 good turns) than common spots on a good swell. I'm hoping it or similar set ups will keep me away from SS given the winds should start slacking now were into late Aug Sept, but if its windy and/or 6-8 it could be the last resort which is mostly the case for me anyways.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf