Change font size   Print view

Sharktember

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Sharktember

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

Slightly early session and seasonal wildlife report thread based on recent activity. Seems like whiteys have been in early last few years. I know they are always out there, but fall is when there very active, close to shore, and hunting.

South Coast siting from SUP........ claims its the 3rd one this month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm2WIeSn7EN/?hl=en&taken-by=dannytide
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Sharktember

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am

Major Lazer wrote:I know they are always out there, but fall is when there very active, close to shore, and hunting.

Getting in on those salmon runs, I assume.

I once did an autumn roadie, surfing all the spots in Oregon that had recorded shark attacks. Called it "Shark Week". Got past the border and decided I'd go to Klamath for kicks, but was very (very) relieved that it was completely fogged out. Little older, possibly even wiser, now so probably won't tempt fate like that again-- got some memorable sessions of the deal though!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Hahah that's classic. Off course you got good waves, many of the better spots and my favs are also sharky.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Yeah, heard someone got chased out of that one birdshitty CB beach break 2 weeks back.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby BOX » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Went out to Agate on Sunday a.m. No sharks spotted (no word on any snakes, though :wink: ). Found a nice reform wave set up to my experience level and stuck to that most of my session. Wasn't too bad, my progress is coming along. Saw a guy nail a super long left. I got stoked just watching it. All in all not a bad day in the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

Beginning of the month and holiday weekend looking to start off a little small. Humm......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Beginning of the month and holiday weekend looking to start off a little small. Humm......

sliding and gliding this weekend?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:54 pm

I can slide and glide on an e scooter right here in town..... was hoping to rip slash and get barreled. :lol:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Basing out of my LC digs all weekend. Anyone ever surf or see someone surf right there on 15th street by the rocks? We walk down there quite a bit and there's been several times I've been tempted to paddle out - looks decent occasionally on the south side. I'm sure the long shore current is gnarly though.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:30 pm

MAN IN WHITE SUIT! Dont surf there.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

Family Holiday beach weekend...... Cen Coast wind machine was craaaanking! Not sure it even stopped Sat eve? Basked and enjoyed the late summer sun hiding from the wind deep in the lee a few headlands where it was nice and toasty, but the water was hand stinging cold.

On Sat small northerly windswell dished up just enough for my groms to have a blast at Oregons most user friendly beginner spot. Paddled out with my daughter on a LB. I couldn't really get into anything, but she got some good ones to the beach trimming the wave vs. going straight off Adolf like a fair amount of other people out there. After she went in shivering paddled down the beach and found a handful of gliders to actually call it a session. Starting to dial in my 8' LB after several surfs on it this summer. Drained beers on the beach. Watched a windy yet killer set from the look out and renegaded it in the lot with no hassles that night.

Slept in Sun and picked another popular spot after brecky I thought might get more swell. Cant remember the last time I surfed Agate (10 or so years?) but it was pretty much what I remembered on summer wind swells. Down the beach a little, slopey, walled, and closed out. Found 2 kinda fun corners on my quad fish that allowed for a turn or two, but that was it. Pushed my groms into waves and beached it out of the nucking winds.

Found a rare camp site with the rest of Merica which was good enough for a nite esp considering proximity to my preferred spot in the area. Woke up early yest AM to find fun and clean waves. Inconsistent but some head high rights. Best wave air drooped and pushed on the tail to keep from pearling on flat rockered fish, coulda had my SB which I left at home, but once I landed flat and bottomed turned had a nice down the line wall to work with. Stupid wind came up quick though and this spot is fairly exposed. Went to shite after about 2 hours.

Grabed some crab burgers and went searching for tuna on the docks. Scored 3 footballs =ing 20 lbs of fish from a classic salty character and he even filleted em! Drove through Corvallis day dreaming about living there and the short drive back and then 15 miles from home van broke down with 20lbs of fish on ice. Evacuated wife, kids, and fish via Uber and got a tow home. BBQ'd some fresh fish and tried to forget about that last part of a fun weekend.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:57 am

Got one solid day in myself Saturday - bit of a kook-fest at Otter Rock (big surprise) but actually scored a lot of fun little waves on my mid-length egg.

That new surf shop by Moe's must be making a killing on soft top rentals. Holy foam-fukkery Batman! But it figures that the one kook that did almost blow a ride for me was flailing around on a regular old fiberglass behemoth. Dude ditched right in front of me on a slow right - managed to slalom, scooped up his board and chucked it out of the way all in one fluid motion. I even impress myself sometimes. :P
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Made a little weekend visit to Dennis & the gang up in Seaside to stock up on neoprene. Got a good deal, but on top of some recent auto maintenance, here's hoping I still have some gas money to actually make it to the coast when it counts. :roll:

Nevertheless, eked out a morning session while I was in the hood. It was funky when I got there, junky when I left, but made due with a few rides and some exercise. Got in a skate session afterwards and don't know if it was the morning surf or what, but was nailing my standards and coming super close to making a fat, old tre flip off the bank, as well as big old k grind. Refreshing to hear the sound those tricks make, but will be better music hearing myself roll away clean.

Sounds like some good trips this weekend! Stoked!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:34 pm

And real talk-- does anyone actually surf LC? Don't get me wrong, there's a few spots that go off, plus the reefs and a badass local crew (respect), but there never seems to be as many heads in the water as there are boards on the cartops. Am I tripping? Or does everyone just go to Otter and jam up X Squid's ride?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Doug fir wireless telling me Pikey (2 out of 3) sighting at da Sands on Sun?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf