Change font size   Print view

Sharktember

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Sharktember

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm still on Mexico time so this post es muy tarde. Made my way down to K mushy-something (as ML is convinced it always is)
and was treated to HH and HH+ for four out of five days last week. Paddled out between 6:30am to 7:30am to a throbbing crowd of three to four cabrons and traded waves for two to three hours each morning. Oil glass, right hand pointbreak with rides up to hundreds of yards. Dry hair paddle back to the line up. Back at the ranchito by 10am for strong coffee, huevos rancheros and a siesta before noon. Living la vida tranquila and celebrated my 54th trip around the sun solo style. What the fcuk more do you want?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Feliz cumpleanos, amigo del unocornio. Nada mas necessito para la buena vida!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Made a bet with the fetch last night and lost. Heave-ho conditions at Shorties, but south wind blew in some warm water and crowd was nil. Felt like I was trippin', as the HH/OH cross swell tossed me to and fro under the fire-in-sky sunset-- everything glowing. The waves themselves were mangled and lazy, but every once in awhile a clean set would roll through. Ended up getting my best ride yet out of the new shortboard, which got me amped. I roll with the theory that if I can manage crappy conditions, I'll be even better when I surf ideal waves. I have no proof that this is actually the case, but whatever-- I got my kicks either way.

Stayed the night and got in a dawn sesh. Conditions were ultra clean, but waves had mellowed out to about chest high and were peeling between 1st and 2nd quite nicely. Trippiness remained on full blast with rainbows, foggy mountains, and massive, sunlit cloudbursts. Surfed alone for about an hour before other heads started showing up and by that time I was wrapping up to head to work anyway. After waiting awhile to redeem "the left that got away" I got slammed in a shallow breaking closeout, exacerbating my most recent skate injury. Called it a day, because if I can't leave in glory, I might as well leave in pain.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:30 pm

smithgrind wrote:I'm still on Mexico time so this post es muy tarde. Made my way down to K mushy-something (as ML is convinced it always is)

Where's da invite to prove me wrong?

How'd new stickage go?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Where's da invite to prove me wrong?

How'd new stickage go?

No invite because it was a solo trip.

There's a ton of boards down there, no need to travel with one. I loathe traveling with a board.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 am

smithgrind wrote:There's a ton of bros down there, no need to travel with one.

Oh yeah I get it :lol:

Would be interesting to hear some feedback on the fantasma on those long perfect point waves.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 pm

You've surfed plenty of right hand points in Mex, ML. I'm sure your imagination won't let you down :idea:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

I haven't even put the pad on mine...... :roll:

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Are you two talking Ghosts? Those Pyzel designs look slick and I'm really curious how they handle as well.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Low expectations weekend. Friday, went to the South wind spot. Small, mushy, gutless and packed. Seemed super glassy every where so why surf with everyone else? Headed out to a solo spot. Found a nice peak and had a very cruisey session on the egg. Fish would have been nice but oh well. Dude paddled out on me but turned out to be nice and a bit of a ripper. Small window but got a few surprisingly walled up rights that went a ways...

Sunday, had daughter and her little BF in tow so went to join everyone else at Shorties. Looked pretty weak and sloppy and again wedged with people at high tide. Turned out quite fun on the 6'2" eggy little number. No one could surf so I took what I wanted and momentarily felt like a dick. Nothing to right home about but managed couple of hacks here and there and a few lengthy grovelers.

Both sessions, no boots and 4/3 which does wonders for my surfing and general stoke level...

Ready for E winds and a bit of punch now but not complaining.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 pm

After a 50 hour work week and close to 2 weeks dry woke up with a little cold Sat AM. Tried to convince myself there wasn't going to be waves today thinking I'd be feeling el crapo and Sat cams looked like junk show. Slept in and woke up feeling OK. Checked the cams and looked supprisenly sunny clean and clear and got a live report from a hommie.

Blew off NE Bikeways and a BBQ with fam and friends (always something...) and headed west for a lazy man's. Took the longer road to find serviceable chest to head high waves mid tide mid afternoon. Nothing great but good ones were workable with rampy sections here and there allowing for a couple turns on the 6-0 shorty. Water was warmish went with the 4mil but kept the hood and boots on as there was a light wind. Buddy and I shared a peak with maybe 2 others. Not sure where all the brohams where but not complaining. Back to the grind mannana but hoping to be less busy this week.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:59 am

Got knocked around on the equinox, battling a relentless barrage of 7'-8' walls. A few kicks were had, but mostly just an exercise in stamina and will. Sunset was on point though, and aside from a few "boys of summer", no crowd beyond the white water. Still a little toasted, but ready to rally for some proper autumn mojo should the opportunity arise.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 pm

On another note noticed the Pelicans (and like a ton of them) working the surface and the food chain was in full effect..... :shock:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Got some not so great news at work yesterday which spun me out a little.

Then had to go get some blood drawn this morning. Had to get checked in to even check in and then wait a ridiculous amount of time watching all representations of humanity living and dying or simply zombified on their phones in the waiting room... I was not feeling it at all...

So I blew off work, loaded up the 90s hip hop mix tape and went back to the beach.

Small and mushy and I thought I'd blown a perfectly good sick day at Shorties again. As the winds picked up and up, I kept paddling, north chasing the glass, and lo and behold a few nugs started to reel though as the tide dropped on the north end. Long waits but some seriously fun zippy little walls and micro barrels were gifted. Wish I'd bought my 5'8" superbuzz but the 6'2" eggy shorty did alright in the pocket.

Sat on the beach for awhile ate some left over curry, drank a beer and basked in the sun and warm wind, trying not to worry about what tomorrow will bring.

Still waiting for Autumn conditions...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 am

That sucks about the bad news...... Your luck for finding these windows seems to be impeccable lately. Looks like you caught the best day swell wise this week. I keep telling myself I need to at least get out to enjoy this epic weather as it is not going to last much longer. Usually the 1st week or so of October delivers in some capacity.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf