Change font size   Print view

Mowvember

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Mowvember

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Had to be some good waves this weekend....I got stuck in DC working....looking forward to the reports.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby buoyhead » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 pm

“Had to be”
Yes. Yes there were.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby smithgrind » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Early call solo mish this morning since I was on dad duty at noon. Set the alarm for 5am but I woke up at 2:40 and tossed
and turned until right before the alarm went off. Out the door by 6 which is early for this cat. Checked seaside and was underwhelmed with slopey closeouts and a quickly filling lot. Headed south to the next logical spot check knowing I would be paddling out there regardless of how it looked, time was of the essence. Lucky for me things were looking better. Four dudes out and only two of them were lined up for the sets which were holding up some clean, long rights and shorter lefts. I opted for a 6’3” thruster set up to help with the paddling this spot can present at times with it’s southerly drag and shifting peak. I grabbed a fistful of good waves in an hour and a half and missed out on a few sets that were mag worthy. The swell dropped a bit in that time but there were still plenty of fun ones if you were in in the right position. I scored a clean left that held up all the way in to the beach as time expired on my sesh. Made it back to The Valley with fifteen minutes to spare. Much needed and well worth the effort.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:24 am

Should have got up early with SmithG but I was lazy. Outgoing tide didn't help the spots I was checking but still found a few waves. Took the twin keel out and was reminded it is the hardest board to adjust to after not using it for awhile but the rewards are high when it clicks. I'm just too clumsy. Killer sunset. Can't complain.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Scary good conditions this weekend-- my ears are still ringing. Surfed ebb to flow Saturday at a locale with ample crowd space and plenty of sand. East wind/west pump combo made for ultra-clean wave faces with critical drops and at times blinding wave spray. Reeling OH* barrels at mid tide, groomed so slick I forgot I was in Oregon. Not like I did much with them, but I went as hard as I could sans step up. Eventually, I had to switch from my daily driver to the 2+1 for the sheer fact that it's glassed thicker. One of the fins ripped a hole in my wetsuit during one pummeling, but still a good call IMO, since the last ride of the day had me scooping the top half of a brand new board to carry into shore.

Sunday was a bit more mellow-- wind dropped, so take offs were less steep. Was pretty sore, but managed a fun succession of lefts that brought me a good length down the beach. Plan was to take rights back to starting point, but hit a point in the inside that was too much to paddle through as fried as I was. Drifted back on the long shore face down on my board, destroyed by stoke, and am still now coming back to life.

*I originally described this as DOH, but revised to make a more conservative estimate. Basing this description off watching some charger knife his drop and fall about 5' before getting mowed over. Suffice to say, it was gnarly.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:28 pm

GREAT read Howly....thanks a ton for the update! Well done!
Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Bouyhead....thanks for dropping in....been too long!
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Made it to the Hamps Friday for the last few hours of light. Light texture light crowd but only one peak really doing it with a pack of chatty dudes sitting on it. Paddled in front, around, and behind employing tactics I've learned over the years I've had to use more and more as of late. Put together a pretty fun session and blew out of dodge knowing Sat would be a shite show and later heard "80 heads out" "largest crowd ever"!

Sat 1st session was mostly drops to closers. Himed and hawed a location change but didn't really want to drive to the next spot 20 or so miles down the road farther from home where I knew there would be a bit of a crowd. By afternoon the swell was close to maxing at this stretch of beachie. A point or a feature with a channel woulda been the call. Watched a peak huck and spit left handers for 2 takers. The outside sets were delivering brutal beatdowns thou but they nabbed some sick ones. Himed and hawed paddleiling but went for it in the end. Just out the back a set poped. Went for one but pulled back and puckered. Ended up getting stuck in a rip off the channel and was pulled off the peak and eventually tired and caught one marginal wave at some point but was mostly a fail. :evil:

Sunday AM same beach less swell and the butt puckering left was more a mushy LB wave with the high tide with a crew of loggers enjoying.....Paddled the length of 2 football fields looking for a good peak. Finally found a serivcable peak that delivered a handful of decent waves. All and all 2 weekends of good swell light crowds and epic conditions but still haven't had the A grade session with a smorgasbord of waves.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 am

Sunday. Walked past a place with 40 people to surf a better place with 4 people.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:14 pm

On the hook to attend a Thanksgiving get-together tonight, so got in a few sessions first to stoke the appetite. Showed up yesterday afternoon to a crowd converged on the slightest of bumps. Waited out the tide and by the time I paddled in, the W swell was delivering quite nicely. Strangely, the crowd thinned out considerably, right as the waves ramped up, so I was pretty pleased with the timing. Waves were HH for the most part with a bit of southerly lump to them; long intervals between sets made for a waiting room vibe, but also low-effort paddle outs when needed. Managed a few heady drops and lengthy lines, but felt off due to some anxiety about work stuff that I blew off to surf. Head noise notwithstanding, got in two sessions with satisfying rides, mild crowd, and a wintery piss gray sunset to top it off.

By this morning, work angst was long gone and the swell had ramped up to a solid 6 @ 12. Wind was very gusty at other points south, but cooperating quite nicely at the spot. Caught a choice window between low-ish tide close outs and the mid-morning crowd and managed a few thrills before it was time to jet. Aside from a right that kept going and going, highlight was glimpsing two sea lions surfing side-by-side on an outside bomb right in front of me. Not sure if it was for pleasure or pursuit, but either way I think they caught the wave of the day.

Now time to put on a sweater and make like I care about things other than surfing for a bit. Hope you all get your fill of food and waves this weekend!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Today was just right-- or more specifically just rights-- at a spot I tend to overlook. Got a wild hair to check it this morning and scored. A little lump in the conditions, but W swell shone through quite nicely, offering a consistent HH peak that ran legitimate distance and ultimately back to shore. Without question the longest rides I've ever caught at this spot and shared it with just a few other heads. Max crowd was six guys and only briefly. Opted for the 2 + 1 given the morning sickness and possibly surfed the best I ever have. Hit a flow state and completely lost track of time: Ride, Rip, Repeat and suddenly it's afternoon and I'm back on the 26 asking myself WTF just happened.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Thought the big high tide might help and hit PC on the morning push. Convinced a former OSPer to drive me... A bit of wind at first but it turned out to be incredibly fun with the smallest crowd I've seen there in awhile. Busted out the 6'2" quad and immediately felt good about my board choice. Found some really ripple rights. A little hard to get into but once you got going they raced through all the way into the inside. Found a nice rhythm and surfed until I pretty much didn't want anymore then opted for a couple of lefts just to round the day off. Then went on a bit of a recon to a spot I've been keeping my eye on. Tilly Tacos and then home. Pretty stoked filled Sunday.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am

Glad to hear you guys scored last weekend. Shoulda pulled the rip cord last Sunday and my intention was to catch the last few hours....... but home remodel project is sucking my time at the moment.

It was a fun run this fall thou. Been a few weeks but chased it pretty hard most of Nov (and Oct). Very consistent, rode my SB's exclusively, but mixed results as far as wave quality as indicated by reports posted. Never got that in and out barrel I so wanted. Weather was the highlight, although I think I had my best close out free sessions during the wet few weekends in early Nov.

Hoping to get back in the groove at some point in the next month weekends permitting. Lost my flex schedule, but stoked on the change. Long term outlook could be more surf and less driving. Time will tell........
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf