Change font size   Print view

Mowvember

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Mowvember

Postby Spent » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm

-Only one zone to really check today. Looked a little uninspiring but whatever, I'm going surfing after missing most of October. Warmed up on a few short rights. Steep drops into a mellow cut back shoulder section. Then ventured over to the lefts. A little hard to line up and lots of paddling but got a bunch. Only a handful out. Lucked into a couple of head high screamers on the cheater egg that kept me out a bit longer than the paddling muscles wanted until the tide eventually sucked it out and messed it up. Seemed to be cleaning up again after the tide turned...
Last edited by Spent on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Re: Mowvermber

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Way to start it off right, Spent. Was there this morning as well, but had to hit the road around noon to run errands and make like I was working and all that. Truth be told, today was a redemption session-- showed up earlier this week to a battle I just wasn't feeling and, after watching a guy flail around for way too long after losing his board, pretty much decided to hang inside and work on technique. The session left me palpably underwhelmed, so I made a break for it again today and scored a few of those HH lefts (no rights for me today). Pulled off a decent little backside turn on the new midsize and felt up to snuff, at least by my own standards. Nothing exceptional, but sparse crowd and a steady ramps at least made it worth the drive this time.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: Mowvermber

Postby Spent » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Nice.

We may have surfed together Howly...? hmm....

What board were you on...?
Spent

Re: Mowvember

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

Was riding a 7'1 Larold-ish make with blue/gray rails. Didn't seem right for the right, at least not yesterday, so pretty much hung on the outside with one or two loggers...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 pm

You and me both. I was on my Lime green Larold. 7'2". Def worked better on the lefts. I just prefer it on my backhand also. Might try again tomorrow...
Spent

Postby smithgrind » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 am

This all sounds pretty spectacular.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 am

AM cams were jammed with heads yesterday. Counted 50+ heads in Brohampton bobbing in marginal conditions and shape and the Kook cam looked straight mobbed yo. Opted for the arvo and despite a report from Spent indicating deteriorating conditions, proceeded onward.

On arrival did not look to inviting sans lack of crowd. Suited and booted and made the long paddle. Outside was a little windy wild and weird and for some reason opted for my low ender 6' utility which was feeling like a little to less foam, so came in a bit and surfed the broken wave with a few other heads who eventually paddled in. At one point I think I may have been the only one out? Manged some pretty fun runners which were pretty slashable and just about right for my board choice. Eventually a 3 pack joined with one dude going super deep and just straight lighting shite up at mach speeds.

Paddled over to try the other wave that was apparently pretty good in the AM as I heard from Spent and some dude at the shower. Conditions were kinda glassy water was moving and shifty, but some were heaving off the peak with nice long shoulders. Couple local kids had it dialed, me not so much. Paddled into one and air dropped which I stuck only to look up at a solid overhead pitching lip I was not going to get around. Pulled out straight, pin dropped off my board, only to mutilated and sent to Davy Jones's locker pinned to the bottom while feeling my leash stretch out to the point I thought it was going to snap (thanks Crow Haley!) and this is a compish mm leash too. Never really got the one I wanted at wave C, but eventually got one good enough to call it quits.

Got a weird little head ache shortly after. Took some water into the sinus's for sure and wonder what the quality was? Otherwise not a great session by any means, but keeping the weekly streak alive since mid to later Sept 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am

Even a month ago, I would've been put off by a full lot at 9:30 am, but have since realized that's a reflection of my own insecurities more than my capacity to deal with it. Paddled out at high and found a dishy peak on the outside with 3 or 4 other heads-- a fast, although occasionally bumpy, southpaw leading into a channel to paddle back out through. Didn't feel like I was at peak performance, but was surfing well enough-- pulled off some drops I probably shouldn't have and managed a few clunky maneuvers that may be a foundation for style points on future waves. Also fell flat on my face on an easy runner because some things never change.

Surfed about 3 hours through the ebb with minimal heads and scored the last hour pretty much alone with the grebes, even though there seemed to still be plenty of action up and down the beach. Air dropped into one last wave, almost tipped backside, but salvaged it and zipped in on one long ride well past the exit zone. As I walked out, someone came up to me and asked where a good spot was-- I said the whole thing's working and their reply was a dismissive "oooookay" as they continued on towards beach break. Made me feel like maybe I was tripping and after that last ride, maybe I was, but I hope they found what they were looking for because it was out there.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Howly we must have surfed together Saturday. Paddled out as the tide was dropping also. And watched the crowd dissipate as the outside peak lit up. Had a couple of OK rights and then lucked into 3 or 4 really good lefts that really made my day and will remain etched in my brain for a few days. Overhead screamers, no cutties required until further inside... Really stoked on the 2+1 cheater yesterday. Made me feel OK about not short boarding at the nearby reelers. Couple of my best lefts at that spot for sure.

Have to admit, I'd never seen it that busy and nearly turned inland upon arrival but the wife said, 'just go get some f*cking waves.' She was right of course. Patience paid off. Was back in town by 3 doing house projects.... When the boys asked why I left so early I said, Its called laying ground work for future sessions. See you Weds, Howly. :lol:
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Kept my eyes peeled for your lime-green board, Spent, but we must've been in different zones. Those OHs kept me out for a good long time, so my session probably overlapped with ML's too. Midweek's a go so far, so maybe I'll see you all out there. I'll be the guy doing clunky maneuvers and falling on my face. Please don't cut my leash.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Sounds good. I'll likely surf Shorties Weds. Quick morning mish with the Fish or Shortboard...
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Never plan on Shorties.... esp in Nov.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 am

Challenge accepted. ha ha..

Plans change every 6 hours when it comes to surfing...
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Seems Oswald has had a pretty good year thus far-- looks like tomorrow has potential to be a fun one as well. I'll probably have to stay on the grid though, since I'll be "working remotely". Still haven't decided for sure where that'll be, given the perpetual state of unknowing that is surfing in the Pacific NW.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 pm

6 @ 12 tomorrow....N. End at SS for sure
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf