Change font size   Print view

Surfer Dead - Otter Rock

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Surfer Dead - Otter Rock

Postby X-squid » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 am

Don't know if this has made the rounds yet:

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Corva ... 58091.html

Looked pretty junky based off the pics - not sure if dude didn't know what he was getting into or just crap luck or what. Bummer.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Re: Surfer Dead - Otter Rock

Postby BOX » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 am

Just heard as my co-workers asked me about it this morning. I haven't been out in a few weeks because it's been way too rough for my comfort and ability. Waves on Saturday down by Cape Perpetua were huge and pounding. I definitely stood way back. Checked the surf cams yesterday though around 12:30-1:00pm just to verify that I should make other plans, and saw two peeps heading out into the water at OR. Makes me wonder if one of them was the surfer in question. Definitely a bummer for sure. My sympathies to his family and friends.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, I heard it on the news last night. BOX- I figured if anyone knew anything, you would have. Things can change so quick in the line up. Sure sad to read about this tragedy last night.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Seems the whole dreadful event unfolded on Saturday, Box, so rest easy-- you did not witness a paddle out into oblivion.
Read the guy got separated from his board and exhausted himself trying to swim back into shore. Must've been a terrifying ordeal, given how jacked conditions were that day. Here's wishing his family, friends, and dog peace in this difficult time.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

Terrible news. I wonder what the details are.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm

RIP to the late doctor and condolences to his fam and dog who was on the beach at the time apparently. Otter poops delivers death. Damn it! Usually such a chill vibe at Otter.

Leash snapped....... check your leash (and leash loop)! Prob took the rip out and got in to deep. Sat was storm surf. I hate buying petro shite unless I have too, but I usually pick up a new leash before every other fall winter season. Hotline Stage 3 or Crow Hailey. Have learned the hard way. Practically rescued some dude in the Cove last Nov who's leash snapped and was treading the rip trying to get in on the rocks. Check your leash......
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Sage advice....
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm

It's interesting that the news reports refer to the surf spot as "Devil's Punch Bowl" rather than just straight up "Otter Rock". No doubt they do this on purpose. Still a lot of questions on my end about the guy's level of experience and if he went out knowing the risks... seems pretty easy to underestimate the mighty ocean at a generally tame spot such as Otter.

Honestly, this whole story is the most frightening aspect of surfing for me, what with me being an idiot and all-- gnarly conditions, lots of moving water, and equipment failure. Fortunately, the only time I've lost a board was a moderately big day when the ankle strap loosened up and eventually tore off. Could've prevented that by just paddling in and engaging the 'cro, but was lazy. Lesson learned.

Just got a new winter leash from a company called Stay Covered. Dennis at Seaside recommended it because the pin is more secure than most manufactured leashes. Looking at it, there's no exposed pin, which is apparently the most common breaking point, and the area is wound really tight. Excited to give it a try, although probably not in crazy serious surf just yet...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Still a lot of questions on my end about the guy's level of experience and if he went out knowing the risks...

Here is an excerpt from the local paper:
“The guys that went into the water knew him,” recalled Zitnick, who was driven back by the “gnarly” waves when he tried to surf Otter Rock on Dec. 1, the day Stearns died. “They told him not to go out. He was a beginner, but they said it was some kind of ‘courage’ test, where he was facing his fears and building his confidence.”

So infer from that what you will. It also says that since there were no witnesses as to what happened, they may never know the reason he got into trouble or how he got separated from his board. Sad in any case.

I've been separated from my board twice. Once my leash plug broke. That day was pretty awesome. Walked out into the water and the first wave that hit me popped out the plug. I'm pretty sure half of it is still floating out in the great Pacific garbage patch somewhere. Never even had a chance to catch a ride that day. Walked out then immediately walked back in. Awesome. The second time the cord itself snapped. After that I bought a Dakine number. Couldn't tell you the specs, but it has held up pretty nicely through all my trips over the falls so no complaints.

I've done a lot of stupid things out of ignorance while trying to learn. That's what scares me about this. Seems like on any given day the ocean could decide to pick me out. Doesn't stop me from going, but it's also why I haven't been out in like three weeks due to rough conditions. Looking at the forecast it looks like it's going to be at least another one. Anyone want to fly me somewhere calmer? :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Thought I read his leash broke?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

That's what I heard, too, Major, but here's what the local rag had to say about it:

Because Stearns was alone, however, first responders and surfing experts say all the details of the case may never be known. They wonder why, for example, Stearns became separated from his surfboard.

“That’s the last thing you want to do is get separated from your flotation,” said big-wave surfer John Forse, who bears the scars of a 1998 shark attack off Gleneden Beach. “But you have to ask, what was he doing out there in the first place?”

Perhaps they are referring to not knowing how the leash broke?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 am

So piecing it all together:

Sounds like dude was a beginner paddling out in conditions that A) were way above his skill level, and B) were not even conditions you'd want to paddle out in, regardless of skill level. Obviously equipment failure (if that's in fact what it was) sealed his fate.

Snapped a leash cord in heavy winter swell when I was 25 or so down in SoCal. 300+ yard swim to shore... learned my lesson on gear that day.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 am

I think this is the article Box is referring to: https://newportnewstimes.com/article/yo ... le-surfing

It's unclear whether his board has been recovered, but we can pretty much surmise that his leash snapped. Being that he was a relatively new-ish surfer, gonna venture a guess he was riding a longer (and likely heavier) board with a summertime leash, which is not a great combo with brute force wave energy.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 pm

That's the article, Howly. Thanks for posting the link. Should've cited my source. My English teacher mom is probably crying a silent tear right now...
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf