Change font size   Print view

JAN MONSTER SWELL MONTH

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

JAN MONSTER SWELL MONTH

Postby Tex » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 pm

I expect mostly tow in stories for this month. I am going to get more surf in this year....I SWEAR.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: JAN MONSTER SWELL MONTH

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 am

I hope not....... woke up early feeling good. Sun was creeping over the coast range setting up for clean and clear New Year's day. Conditions were butter but swell was still a bit wonky. There were a few takers but took my time. Breaky and beach walk. Kinda waitied it out hoping for better shape, but never materialized. Suited and booted mid day. Mild and pleasant sun on the face felt great. Mostly closely though. Found a few and eventually got drilled by an outside set and called it. Good to get wet and back in the groove I hope.

Happy New Years hommies. Here's to good surf and health in 2019. May get another new board and looking forward to longer days. After work sesies are going to be more doable than ever before for me. Cheers!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Happy 2019, gentlemen. Good to see the OSP back in action!

Had a couple decent sessions over the holidays. Caught an Xmas wave that felt so good, I begrudgingly signed up for a free trial of the kook cam, just so I could rewind and watch. Somehow my performance ended up looking better than I initially recalled and encapsulated a lot of goals I've been working on, as well as highlighted some aspects I can improve in the coming year.

Rang in the New Year with some sun and solid groundswell at CK. Size was there, but sandbars not so much. Managed an ok session amidst massive closeouts and chunky tide, but was mostly just grateful to be on the water. Could've done without getting run over by a tech bro, but I'm still in one piece at least and happily not posting in the Injured Reserve.

Hoping to go hard and go remote this year, surf as much as possible and make the best use of my time on land. Thanks guys for all the fun surf reports and clutch info you've offered that have helped me with my surfing, gear choices, and general knowledge. Here's to Tex getting more sessions, easier commutes for ML, Box having no bad days in the water, SG making up for lost time on the 6 week hiatus, all the perfect lefts for buoyhead, and Spent only being on call when conditions are mush. Thanks again guys; see ya in the funny pages!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Oh and less carpal tunnel, more LC tunnels for X Squid. Hopefully, not omitting any other regs over here :roll:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Howly! Loved the 2019 OSP Team Aspirations and stoked you got to see your ride on the cam, that is pretty damn baller if I say so myself.
Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Additional Team OSP 2019 Goals could also include:

1. More posts in Haters/Ranters/Whiners- typically we get some super cool posts in there.
2. More posts in Things that Don't Matter section- Even Betty and BlueSilver are showing up there more recently.
Tex

Postby buoyhead » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm

January 8th of “Monster Swell Month” produced a swell of one foot. Sad, considering the all-day east to southeast winds. Columbia River Buoy had the swell around eight ft. From the east!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 am

Forcasted direction on these next few swells are pretty wacky..... 212-225. Storm track dropping south prob due to The Child. Should be in Baja but stupid new job and no vacca time :twisted:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Should be in Baja but stupid new job and no vacca time :twisted:

Former osp mod will be getting hair dry barrels down south this weekend. Forecast looks loco!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby buoyhead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Both waves and weather were delightful today.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Great day for a helicopter ride too.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/01 ... beach.html

Hit up Shorties on Saturday morning, but wasn't feeling the raucous conditions and jumbo closeouts way off in the distance. Kept it simple with a maintenance session on the inside, working on paddling technique and just being present with the ocean, trying to tune in and make something out of nothing. Eventually eked out position in a maxed out channel and caught a little wedge, riding the SW swell into the oncoming W swell for a novelty left right out the Ben Gravy playbook. For the dream!

Did see a crew charge the outside, setting up near that little inlet on the North end. Looked pretty brutal and one of them straight lost their board in the melee-- leash snapped and board was presumably taken by the current. Bummer, but saw him catch one stunner, so at least he got one last memorable ride out of a pretty raw deal.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby buoyhead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Both yesterday and today were about as good as it gets at the break I favor. And good enough the break I favor even more was as good as it gets. The only problem is I have to drive/walk past the break I rarely surf to get there. And the mass of humanity there is almost (but only almost) enough to spoil one’s stoke and reflect with a certain amount of sadness how much has changed in the past forty years here. But I put on my blinders and concentrate on what has stayed the same. That being the waves.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby X-squid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

Of course I picked a wild-a$$ day to get back in the water after a brief hiatus. Cove was pretty gnarly Saturday a.m. Between Shorebreak and monster outside sets the paddle out was tricky to say the least. Cleanup sets were something to behold. Got a few beauties in between the bedlam.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am

Can't complain about a face tan in mid Jan...... fun weekend of waves and classic winter HP for this working man.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Caught the tail end of the offshore flow with a couple midweek morning sessions. Tuesday was clutch; crisp OH groomed by heavy east wind with only a couple heads in the water, plus a blissed our harbor seal. Plenty of workable wave face with a nice hollow reform that I had fun trying to slide into. Today brought less swell, less wind, longer lulls and more crowd, but still plenty fun. Felt clumsy at times, but I did more to progress my surfing these past two days than any session in recent memory. Stumbled through a variety of maneuvers new to me, plus got a better feel for the swiftness of the 6'6. Cold glow sunrises both days, plenty of wildlife, medium frequency vibes-- had to miss some of the pumping weekend swell to be there, but made up for it with a little taste of zen on a hefty plate of leftovers. Stoked & smoked.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf