Change font size   Print view

Boards for 2019

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Boards for 2019

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Awhile back, this guy I'll call "Mr. Opinions" saw my locally crafted board and volunteered that the shaper is "@#$!". He went on to express that there are no shapers in the PNW who "know what they're doing" with the exception of one (a brand new hull of whose I saw buckle on a big day at SJ, but whatever).

While I disagree with unfair generalizations, the PNW does seem to lack a lineage/industry/community that may be crucial for Master Craftsmanship to flourish. There also seems to be an over-emphasis on volume throughout the region (although that trend certainly isn't limited to up here) whereas a board doesn't necessarily need more foam, just the right distribution. This doesn't reflect on the shapers either, just what's in demand. While there's always room for improvement, I remain pretty stoked on my Made in Oregons and prefer supporting local shapers whenever possible.

That being said, sometimes the comet's overhead and you gotta chug that kool aid.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am

Right plenty of capable and not so capable local shapers around these days. I've just had much better luck buying off the rack than with customs over the years esp these days with dims being more realistic and so many design options. I hope to get another local shape in my quiver at some point. That is in addition to a board I shaped...... not getting more local than that.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:28 am

Major Lazer

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Major Lazer wrote:That is in addition to a board I shaped...... not getting more local than that.

Got pretty amped on one of your June sessions where you were riding that self-shaped board. Seemed you were in the zone on that open beach and a handcrafted hull would amplify that feeling, I'd imagine.

Not quite ready for the bay myself, but finally checked out that PJ I mentioned. Even though the specs looked good on paper, I wasn't feeling it at all. Ended up holding off and eventually picking up a very different board; a used personal from Murdey that was an early version of his skipper stone design-- a stepping stone if you will. 6'6; Rounded point nose; round pin tail; looks satisfactory for summer fluff, but I aim to use it more for pump with lump. Not sure a volume calculator would approve of this choice, but frankly I don't care. The board's got soul and if I put work in, I'll make it work. Plus I like buying from Dan; good dude, good conversation, and he hooks it up.

Haven't ridden it as of yet; holding back to mend my L5 a bit more. My chiro suggested that I stick to long hulls for the long haul, but that ain't happening-- new board's kind of a motivator to level up my core and cobra routines, so I can make the most of my quiver when and how the wave's demand.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:27 am

Sounds like you found a good deal and good board. Lump with pump sounds about right for 60 to 70 percent of good days in this neck of the woods. Would like to try a Murdey some day but rack is to stacked at the moment for the amount of days I do get in the water.
Major Lazer

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf