Change font size   Print view

Best Surf Shop in the NW

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Best Surf Shop in the NW

Postby Tex » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Let the debate begin....can be shops that are not around any more too.....or wait, did we already do this one back in 2004???
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Best Surf Shop in the NW

Postby buoyhead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:47 pm

Mrs. A’s.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:47 pm

I figured someone would say Mrs As. A Portland shop I believe.

I get my gear from whomever has the brand I am looking for and best deal or sale. I always up my wetties durring black Fri cyber Monday. Bought my last board from Cleanline and rubber from Moment.

Needed some ear plugs over the weekend but didn't feel like going into a shop and talking about surfing.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 am

Mrs A’s was my go-to 45 years ago as it was the ONLY surf shop. Go there or order from Cali.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby smithgrind » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Needed some ear plugs over the weekend but didn't feel like going into a shop and talking about surfing.

Go in the shop, get your ear plugs ASAP and put them in. Mission accomplished.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Man, I have no clue about the Mrs. A's surf shop....more details please. When I did a google search for it, I came across Leeward NW Surf and Sea....anyone hit that place up yet? They seem to have HAD a bunch of Murdey shapes.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby buoyhead » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am

Mrs. A’s was in operation in the 60’s and 70’s. It was on Powell St. Run by Mrs. A., A nice older woman who’s connection to surfing was a mystery. But she warned me to not surf a certain break in Seaside. I didn’t heed her warnings. I remember too, that they sold surfboards at Rhodes dept. store in Lloyd Center in the 60’s. Your choice of popout or a real board whose manufacturer I can’t recall. Maybe a Hobie.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Spent » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am

Just got a new 7S from www.Amazon.communist

Delivered to my door ding free with a free pair of boardies to put over my wettie. Can't wait for 5G.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:53 pm

buoyhead wrote:Run by Mrs. A., A nice older woman who’s connection to surfing was a mystery.

I've seen a photo of BA hanging at Shorties, holding a board, so I guess she surfed at least once or otherwise pioneered the art of Instagramming.

Leeward, Tex, seems more like a boutique than a surf shop. They have a few pretty boards though and I think they screen surf flicks from time to time. Vibe is more of that kinder, gentler way of surfing so popular among the crowds these days.

FWIW I agree with ML-- best surf shop is the one that has what you need at a good price. I prioritize shops on the coast whenever possible because if I'm gonna join the lineup, I should also support the local economy. Personal fave is Seaside Surf Shop-- lots of reasons why, but Animal Chin poster in the window seals the deal. Have you seen him?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

So was Ms. As an outdoor shop that dabbled in ordering surf gear for those that wanted it or was it a full on surf shop?

I remember driving up to Portland from Southern Oregon in the mid 90s to buy a wetsuit from Us Outdoorstore and skate Burnside. Also hit up the Noll shop ran by Bev, Gregs X wife in Crusty shitey. Then Sessions opened up in Brookings. Hung in that shop quite a bit back then talking surf, skate spots, and travel during those flat spells in between small southern hemi pulses and wind swells. Loved the logo and wish I still had a T cap or hoody from those days.

Growing up we were luckily enough to have a classic shop run by one of the most legendary charterers in the New England surf and skate scene but I mostly got hand me downs from my cousins.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:16 am

Honestly for board selection Gorge FTW.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Oh and apparently Ocean Pulse closed. End of a central coast era right there.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm

That blows. Definitely appreciated Ocean Pulse for the lack of pretension and decidedly old school feel. Owner was OG surfrider and led the Newport chapter for a bit-- said he left the role because "no one wanted to chain themselves to the mill". Gotta respect that.

Gorge does have a pretty good selection. Apparently they used to shape boards too, which is odd given the shop's windsurf origins. My girlfriend has a Reuter 6'6 squash tail that looks like it was designed in the early 90's. She really likes it, but the previous owner messed up the fin placement (center fin on the side, side fin in the center in thruster setup) and here we are a decade later with the fin bolts rusted into place. I've given a few half-hearted WD40 treatments, but those suckers are gummed up good. The old lady only goes out once a year, so she doesn't care about fin performance, but it bugs me more than it probably should. Nice looking board, regardless-- hopefully will give it a try one of these days when fins are proper.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am

Been seeing ads on Craigslist for a "surf shop" called Otter Rock Surf Shop. Although I'm quite excited by the prospect of "surfing with the otter", am confused because there is already a surf shop at that locale and the whole endeavor seems... questionable?

Pretty stoked on the logo though-- a river otter riding a surfboard, naturally. Maybe I'll buy a t-shirt.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Right Purva Vida. They scored a great spot right there on the point after operating in Philomath of all places for many years.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf