Change font size   Print view

The Glides of March

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

The Glides of March

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: The Glides of March

Postby buoyhead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:55 pm

A nice day today. Sitting in the lineup, looking at a snow covered Saddle Mountain. Only in Oregon...
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby buoyhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Ditto, redux, groundhog day.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:55 am

Got out a few times in February. Not bad but nothing to write home about.

Went out yesterday morning and the waves at the usual break were great. Water was cold but the sun was shining. Was catching a lot of good rides and doing some good things. Not a bad day in the water (of course, there are no bad days in the water).

Was out way too long, the wind picked up, and the waves started closing out so it was time to go. I was already walking out and on my way when I saw one more peak setting up that I just had to try. Like an idiot I went back in. It was too steep/hollow, I wiped out badly, and took a fin to the face. It stung a bit, but not nearly as much as my pride. On the plus side, though, I have a nice conversation starter at work today.

Overall, still not a bad day on the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

Glad you didn't loose an eye ball Box like a guy did at Shorties back in Nov. Guess he walked up to some gal on the beach and asked her if his eye was ok and she screamed and ran away. He was e eventually life flighted to Legacy in PDX. At least that's the story I heard........
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 am

Ya ever get to the spot and you’re about to suit up when some hassle pops up out of nowhere and jams you up?

A good while back I had a loose leash plug that I didn't know about. Walked into the water for a session and the first wave that came along popped it out never to be seen again. I'm not good enough to go without a leash, so basically I walked in and immediately walked back out. My shortest session yet.

The worst hassle to deal with, though, was after I came in from a long session only to find my car tire completely flat. Since I lived only a few minutes away I didn't bring a change of clothes and had to change the tire in my wettie. My soft, pruny hands didn't help much, either. Got it done, but man that really sucked.

Hope you get back out soon, Howly.
Last edited by BOX on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am

Yeah, ML, I definitely got lucky in that regard. It just missed my left eye by about an inch. I'm currently sporting a nice red streak that goes from above my left temple down past my cheek bone. There's a nice bit of swelling as well.

I made the mistake of looking up "fin to the face" images last night and caught a few pics of people who had freshly lost eyeballs. Definitely not for the squeamish.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 am

Broke what appears to be just short of a 5 week dry spell. Can't remember the last time I went that long! Been distracted by the white wave, which was as good as it gets last month.

Anyways fun weekend in the mobile beach condo lurking in sweat pants. Linked up with a costal buddy Sat AM at a beachie. Shifty left and a bit of current. Wind had a little north in it that was fluffing it up, but there were some fun ones to be had. Mosty by the 2 guys I was surfing with. Not the best waves to dust off the cob webs due to the tricky nature of being in the right spot, but wasn't big or anything and felt good paddeling thanks to gym and pool time. Hot tub time mid day and chased it to another beach as the wind was up from the north. Desparado eve sesh cause I didn't want to start drinking beers.... bit of a waste tide was super low swell was dormant and mostly small close outs. Watched a killer set and ate a tastey dungy for din din.

Opted for a feature yesterday with the long period pulse walling out the beach I 1st checked. Softish WH to HH rights that were long and workable. Had a few lippers that felt good and pleanty of wraps All and all a very pleasureable session but was toasted by 1. Lounged all afternoon with a solid hour hot.tub sesh. Checked a beachie early this am still plenty of swell.but walled. Bars seem a bit jacked at the "moment" pun intended. Went to work like a good middle aged earner for family of 4.

I will attest to the snow capped coast range. Cool to see rare views of low elevation peaks blanketed with snow from the water.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Is your wife ever going to let you surf again? :lol:

I got a shake of the head and a "you're an idiot" look. Probably deserved.

She doesn't stop me from going but she is definitely convinced I'm going to end up paralyzed out there one day. Adaptive surfing, anyone?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Full Fail Feb for me too....actually 2018 was practically a full fail. I left the east side of PDX around 5:30 on Sunday morning. Beautiful drive with the moon chasing me all the way to Cannon Beach. First light on the water was awe inspiring and the swell was looking super fun. Checked a ton of spots south of Seaside and enjoyed looking at how the swell was wrapping into each little nook and cranny. Eventually decided to hike down to the Sands. There were a couple of folks suiting up in the parking lot, around 7:00 but I figured I would stay in my warm clothes as long as possible. I found a few peaks that were calling my name between 2nd and 3rd creek, plus no one else was over on that section of beach. I was rusty as shite, no rhythm at all and my pop was super crusty. It was not surprising of course but I was still able to catch a few fun rides for sure. I am sure I looked like a full on Cleanline renter kook but its all good. I am looking forward to more time, more waves and an epic spring.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:09 pm

March has been pretty fun for me thus far. Already had a solid few sessions in between Seaside and shorties but had a really fun session elsewhere on Tuesday in plain sight but all alone. Long fishable rights into no man's land. Sunny, blue skies, green waters, milk glass until about 1pm. Meanwhile, rent was almost paid 65 miles south.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 am

Went under the knife unexpectedly last week for an appendicitis. Boy that sucked. Back to work which is most important, but probably out this weekend and maybe the rest of the month? Not to mention getting back in shape etc.

Get it while you can..... I've seen some really flat and windy fro all directions in one day April and Mays and cant imagine what the crowds are going to be like this weekend with the temps breaking 60 for the first time in ages. Have fun out there!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf