Change font size   Print view

April Aces

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: April Aces

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am

You can thank the Surfrider foundation for that public access....
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Morning session at the local spot. Head up freestyle paddle out was a pain, especially since the swell generated by the water aerobics class was ankle-high at best. Sadly, my kickboard was not quite catching the waves— might do better on the heavier sets expected this evening. High pressure front off to the west caused by middle aged man hitting on teenage lifeguard. Water temp was warm, but not sure that’s a good thing. Worthwhile time overall, but I’d rather be surfing.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Back on the white wave. Creamy turns this am with no crowd. Tapped some lines in the reserve and I'm guessing the last to be tapped for a while. Used a lie I was saving for a surf day to free up some weekday time.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am

We doing snow reports now?

OK then. I don't ride much. My rule of thumb is pay as little as possible, speak to as few people as possible. Don't get me wrong, you meet a few cool people but the talk boarding on the lift, is worse than the icy attitudes in the surf. Too much stoke for me. I just like to keep my chapped lips tight and ride. Since I haven't been surfing or skateboarding much, I'm trying to capture it on the snow. I'm proud to say at 43, I pushed my comfort level in the park yesterday. Nothing fancy but had more air time than I'm comfortable with. Also, was able to lock into some 'lip slides' on some snowy lips and played with 'throwing my tail' out of the top of the big banks in the flow park. It was fun. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't... Today, I'm sun burnt and ache like f*ck.

and now I'm ready for a head high wave or a six inch curb.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Would love to hear a good OR surf report from the last 2 weeks.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:17 am

Too funny on the stories we have to tell the boss.

I have an employee here in PDX who loves to snowboard. I let him go whenever he wants. I just ask him to give me a day heads up if possible. He always grinds so it is really easy for me to greenlight the weekday sesh when its good.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby buoyhead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 am

Major Lazer wrote:Would love to hear a good OR surf report from the last 2 weeks.

The waves were good yesterday.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:23 am

Figured as much. Valley rot ensues here.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:28 am

Finally got a taste of that sweet, sweet springtime soup. Swell was junk, but I was rusty so a great match it was indeed. Always appreciate a good challenge though, so walked away satisfied if not especially stoked. Hopefully, I can redeem myself in my own eyes before May 1st, but between spinning winds and surging gas prices might just have to make due with the ol' one or none.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Got out to the usual spot on Sunday for a few hours. It was a mixed bag but there's no bad days in the water and it for sure beat staring out the window at the rain. Stoke remains high.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Turned up to dog shite conditions on Sunday, so I went skateboarding and then back to the beach. After mid tide things looked to be improving so I slowly got ready. Good excuse to take the new groveler out. Low and behold some fun ones came through and the wind seemed to ease up a bit. Ended up surfing for three hours, just to get a feel for the board. Had to be super patient but considering how shite it looked in the morning. I can't complain.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Found some serviceable and occasionally rippable waves Fri and was relatively quiet at Oregon's most popular surf spot. Otherwise April was mostly a skunk. A reminder surfing is not a lifestyle and it's good to have other hobies.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf