Change font size   Print view

Maxin May

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Maxin May

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Scored an early bird session yesterday with some old timers. Impressed by my aggravated posture and audible groans, they accepted me as one of their own. Might've been the longboard too... Aching back slowed my pop ups, but NW wind swell packed more size and punch than forecasted, so once upright, glides came fast and fluid. Surfed until cramped sciatic nerve completely numbed my leg, but the lineup had filled with whipper snaps s, all scrambling for the same low tide close outs. Youth is wasted on the young, is it not? Visiting the chiro this week, so hopefully I can get back to blissful obliviousness to the ravages of age and be in better form should things get a bit more critical in the near future.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby SlimVest » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

I just spent 6 months dry docked with a herniated disc. Been ignoring my sciatica and lower back pain for a decade. Be very careful, man. If your chiro is worth anything, they'll tell you adjustments won't solve your troubles.

I'm back in the water, as of April, but I still ain't right.

Howly Wolf wrote:Surfed until cramped sciatic nerve completely numbed my leg, but the lineup had filled with whipper snaps s, all scrambling for the same low tide close outs. Youth is wasted on the young, is it not? Visiting the chiro this week, so hopefully I can get back to blissful obliviousness to the ravages of age and be in better form should things get a bit more critical in the near future.
SlimVest
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

SlimVest wrote: adjustments won't solve your troubles.

A1 advice that I wish I heeded earlier.

Glad your back is on the mend, SV. Very sorry it got so severe in the first place. If you feel like sharing updates on the journey to feeling right in the water again, please feel free. Very much hoping that your recovery is on track after 6 months out and that every session on is a step forward to agility, stoke, and pain-free waves.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am

Had an L1-S2 herniation in my mid 30s that I compounded by surfing through it. That and went to AU and NZ a month after acute incident driving all over the place. After trip was over stayed out of the water for 6 months, the duration partially due to another injury a wrist surgery that kept me in a cast for 5 months. Sucked. Healed. Then my L2 bulged a few years later. Learned from my mistakes prior. Healed, but came back off and on for years. As soon as it tightened I would not surf and in a week or so it would typically subside. 10 or so years later mostly pain free. I feel some mild pain and stiffness almost weekly if not daily and there's been a very occasional flare up, but I haven't been tapped out with back pain (knock on wood). That said, probably surfing 60 to 70 percent less then when it happened.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am

Back on topic..... thumpy combo swell in the water yest with LP southern hemi consistently showing. Watched glassy cams all day and got a good report. Got off work and hit the road. Checked a few spots that looked about the same, but not doing it wave wise. Oddly enough by the time I got to the spot I had gotten a report from, the wind had come up laying a light texture on it giving it a crumble. Water was warmish and there were some serviceable HH waves to be had, but coulda been really good with the right wind. Sure it was really good some where at some point..... regardless better than driving back to the city after work and going to the gym. Rainy and glassy at dawn, even saw some heads gearing up at 5:45 :shock: but midlife man had to go to work. :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm

"Little South"....intrigued by that hint ML
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby buoyhead » Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 pm

It’s as if the biggest crowd in Cove history was joined by the biggest crowd in Short Sands history. Requiring one to park blocks away if one was to join those partaking in the solid 1-2 ft. offshore groomed combers. A veritable cornucopia of wave riding craft, jostling and jousting for position and dominance. Even a crowd at the Point, owing to the fact that there were no waves at the Point, enabling those not usually permitted to “surf” there a free reign due to absence of any locals.
And that’s my “Maxin May” report for the day.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm

Figured I'd try to get a quiet sesh in before the big weekend. Left one of the nicer days in some time on the leeward side of the Coast Range only to be greeted by an ominous fogbank clinging to the western slopes. Peeped a few fickle ones but knew I'd end up at Texs favorite spot. Swell in the water but soft on the high tide. Shape was pretty suspect as well. Light human factor. Cold, grey, and green. Will sleep good tonight to the sound of the ocean but back to work early. Be safe out there on the roads this weekend.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 am

Last two sessions have proven to be better than expected due to low expectations. Even busted out the 6'10" last Sunday at one spot that was serving up some thumpy overhead dumpers. Then a fun one early morning yesterday. Four people in the water, glassy but wobbly but a few surprisingly connectable sections served up at LT. Both short sessions and short rides and quite the contrast from the long long cruisey PB rights of Baja I was #blessed with a couple weeks back (12 sessions deep) but that's just fine.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Fri May 24, 2019 10:21 am

Always hard to motivate locally after a good surf sojourn esp this time of year........

For anyone wondering swell looked like junk this morning shortly after dawn. Guess it was kinda junk yest too. NW winds tearing it up offshore despite relativity calm conditions onshore giving it a funky spring lump. Hard rain was just starting to come down. Wasn't expecting to surf anyways.

Hour and 15 from beach side snooze spot to office with a java stop and zero traffic not having to deal with the Sylvan and Vista Ridge BS. Now if I could just eliminate that nonsense all together, would be very stoked. I'll be waving to all the holiday weekend kooks as I make my way back to the hood this afternoon. Good luck and god speed to you all.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Not sure the Memorial Day weekend is going to serve up much surf from a forecast perspective. Im not feeling especially motivated anyway, weather looks like crap out there. Good luck to OSP riders heading out.

Box- when are we going to get a report from you on your new board purchase?????
Tex

Postby BOX » Fri May 24, 2019 4:00 pm

Box- when are we going to get a report from you on your new board purchase?????

No new board yet. Still need to meet up with the seller sometime since we're a few hours apart. He's a cool dude and has been very patient with me while we work out the logistics, though, so I definitely appreciate that. Totally stoked to try it out.

I've been getting in the water just about weekly the past couple of months. Hasn't been much to report, though. It's been a, um, turbulent spring for me. I keep paddling back out, though, despite the punishment. Stoke remains high.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Don't make excuses Tex you know how avoid the crowds. The Monday AM sesh has your name all over it. I'm mostly being facetious, I'll be back out there with the kooks at some point this holiday weekend.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Sun May 26, 2019 11:11 am

Yer right....Major- you know me too well. I might pull a Monday night sesh...who knows ;)
Tex

Postby Tex » Sun May 26, 2019 11:14 am

Is anyone trying to navigate the masses this weekend on the N. Coast? Curious if weather may have dropped the volume of people heading out that way?
Tex

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf