Change font size   Print view

Goons of June

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Goons of June

Postby BOX » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Mostly maintenance at BOX's local yest am

I was out there for a few hours late yesterday morning. Agreed, not a bad day to be on the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Took a Monday morning swim at a convenient option. Not the ideal spot for negative low, but swells were coming in hot ranging from shoulder high SH stacks to the occasional OH out in the deep end. First wave/best wave kind of day for me: Solid HH drop, bottom turn off the rail, sweep up top, then duck under the lip and out again. Not bad for a funboard... I mean "performance egg". A shortie would've been the call, as there was a good amount of pep out of there that could be harnessed with a discerning eye, sound mind, and anticipatory positioning.

Lots of vans and mustaches on an early weekday morning. A good life if you can get it, but unfortunately had to get work done today for a few more waves tomorrow (or a week from now, whenever comes first).
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am

It is illegal to hunt camels in the state of Arizona.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Spent » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 am

The chance of you dying on the way to get lottery tickets is actually greater than your chance of winning.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 am

Thought it was more like this.... the chance of you dying on the way to go surf is actually greater than your chance of dying from a shark attack.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 am

Ghost town status for the post work sesh last night. Counted 7 heads scattered about. Southern hemi was pulsing inconsistently with some 10 second wind swell in the mix. Almost got frozen out on a few lulls and was wishing I had gloves on. Water temps felt like high 40’s and side offshore wind and overcast grey skies only added to the chill. Ironic how this time of year can often be the coldest in the water.

Kept busy during the sets on chest to waist high lefts that were pretty rippable on the right ones. Surfed the same chunk of sand I’ve had luck with on these last few south pulses. Sesh’ed until about 9:30om. Saw a large heard of elk on my way to work this am. Standard issue, but always cool to see.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Twofer in/around the Box Zone after conclusion of a midweek work conference somewhere close by. New truck canopy was delivered the day prior, so my replacement rig is finally camp ready! Surfed the evening glass off with an ultra-stoked Frenchman. High frequency vibes amped me up for the occasional hefty swell lighting up multiple sandbars. Wind wobble made them tricky to get into, but oh so solid when the the ship came in. Rode the Larold 2 + 1 with fin jammed up front and dig how responsive it is-- pulled a few frontside and backside hacks that felt very dynamic in rotation and possibly even looked ok too.

Sea state cleaned up considerably this morning, although neg. low left not as many bars to choose from. One special lump continues to reel, so surfed that with 10 or so locs before moving over to a less crowded, yet less consistent spot. Waiting game paid off with one particularly HH that yielded a racy line and little tube tuck. Not a make by any means, but uplifting given recent back issues I've been griping about. In many respects, I feel like I'm surfing both at my worst and at my best simultaneously-- kind of a tricky place to be, so trying not to quantify it and put my energy toward being grateful for a little time in the water, a functional surf rig, and a healthy pace of healing.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 am

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
Spent

Postby Tex » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 am

Howly- great report, glad you scored. Sounds like the camping rig is going to serve you well
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks, but OSP could use a Tex report, stat. Gotta get those kiddos out to Shorties for a dawnie now that school's out!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 am

Caught that Solstice bump Friday and had a nice afternoon at the beach with the fam. Not quite as rippable as my last few sessions and much more crowded. There was a little rat pack on the best peak when I 1st got out. As per usual at this spot on crowded days, I was blatantly burned on my 1st wave. This time by some grom from Bend and a Moment team rider (whatever that means around here). Guess PC isn't delivering? Brushed it off, but don't be such a punk kid and show some respect. After about 30 mins a majority of the scrapers went in and found some space. Got some decent ones, but just couldn’t be in the right spot to catch the occasional shapely looking set wave. Also board choice prolly shoulda been fishy vs. small wave SB.

Saturday swell petered and surfed some mushy and weak, but long waves at an off the radar spot with a buddy that was a bit of a paddle in a rip to get to the outer sand bar. Surfed my funboard for a while then traded and rode a classic slightly oversized twin keel Pavel Rainbow fish. As the tide filled the current got worse constantly pushing us off the peak. Called it and enjoyed a cold one on the beach with fam and friends and not to many other humans around on a sunny Sat afternoon.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:41 pm

With a dim forecast on the horizon, made time for a little carpe diem campout to make the most of little bumps and little wind. Worth the time, but by no means exemplary-- choice was drop in on the occasional size and lunch it or a straight line on waist high fluff. I chose to commune with the impact zone and regret nothing. Saw a golden eagle on the beach this morning; he seemed to sense my gaze and flew off into the fog. Lots of wildlife in the water as well with a notable exception, which was fine by me given the nature of this spot and the solitude that a junk swell/early morning combo can provide there.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:26 am

Good call..... Summer dollies are on us now but its been a really fun run of May June surf. When it comes together it could be my new fav time of year and I have fond memories of a May/June in the late 90s when I lived on the central coast. Long warm days, surf in till 9+PM, easy drives, and often pretty good weather. Wish I was going on a mid summer trip, but cant swing it. Shooting for deep Baja in Jan thou.

Heading east to the high county of the Elkhorns away from the masses for the holiday. Happy 4th to you all and maybe we'll get a blip or two next month? Otherwise may chase a south swell time permitting. Enjoy the summer surf or no surf because we all know it doesn't last long in these parts. Hasta
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:10 am

June in summary for me:

Grovel grovel but this month really gave me a chance to dial in my 5'10 Murdey shite shoveller. I was actually happy to surf waist high crumblers to see what the bottom end of this board was. It is certainly my most responsive short board in waist high and under and I have found a way to harness its puppy like wildness in slightly bigger hollower stuff also but its best suited to what we saw most of this month. Closest I have come in 2019 to landing a little air. Easy to claim I know. But I'm still questing for legit lift off before I quit as the Olympic flame is set alight in Tokyo.

Last session was bore out of frustration. Tired of looking at a room of hung-over family members, I stumbled on a 10' pop out in a garage, with a really offensive looking fin. Paddled out leashless that morning to an empty peak just 'to get wet' as some of us say. Anyway, one of my top 10 LB sessions. The board caught waves so early, it was a revelation in how to set up. I even tried a bit of cross stepping. Warm water, whales feeding outside, no one around. Never new I could be so #blessed by knee high surf. I hope Longboarding never makes it to the Olympics.

I'm still listening to Flipper somewhat frequently.
Spent

Postby BOX » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Went out Sunday to a beach south of Newport to close out June. Got out around mid-morning & mid-tide, incoming. Weather was beautiful, very little wind, and the water was warm. Other spots looked flat and empty on the cams so was pleasantly surprised to see some workable waves. I wouldn’t say it was pumping, but there were some catchable (albeit, still small) sets coming in every few minutes or so. Worth the easy paddle out for sure.

When I first got out it was just a few heads in the water. A few SUPers, an Australian guy who was scoping it out with me on the dunes beforehand, two lady longboarders, maybe a couple of other dudes. Vibe was pretty pleasant. Early afternoon the tide came in, the wind picked up, wave quality started to suffer, and a more heads showed up at the break. I had my fun so I let them have it.

I’ve taken the new board out a number of times now at a few breaks and have seen significant, consistent improvements in my performance each time. I’m really digging it and the new challenge that it’s brought to my progression. I for sure still have lots of more work to do but I was pretty pleased with how my day turned out overall. Definitely not a bad day on the water.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf