Change font size   Print view

Julies

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Julies

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:29 am

6' pop yest had me motivated to change some plans and make the drive breaking up a bit of an intentional dry spell.

Lumpy and dumpy wind swell and suprisenly kinda maxed on the sets. Didn't want to fuk with 2 boards, so packed the retro fish but shoudla had something more nimble and pivoty for the quick shifty walls. Was definitely thrown off by the size and the dozen or so duck dives it took to get out.

Pretty tricky all and all, but put together some waves between 2 sessions and suck out mid seemed better to me. Been years since I've surfed sans booties in OR and nice to rock the hoodeess 4 mill with zero chills yo. Kinda felt like I was on vacation. Prob be better today with drop in size.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Doc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Surfed last Sunday despite the parking lot along the highway and flotsam of bobbers littering the waters...
As Spent noted warm water, tiny waves and giant surfboards were the order of the day...
Still 3rd Creek was relatively peaceful and out of the wind...
Trunked it leashless on the first go round...
But after several beers on the beach and in the face of an increasing wind...
I did don rubber & cord to best protect the civilians unfamiliar with a 10''6' approaching from sea...
I also broke a long dry spell after getting utterly shut out for 2 weeks in Portugal...
There were some waves in Portugal but nothing worth dropping 50 euro to rent a board and suit...
And there you go.
doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Doc wrote:Surfed....

...after several beers on the beach
doc

DOC!
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi Doc!
Spent

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Warm again today. ML's report motivated me to rally for the midday tidal push at doc's beach. Not as good as last Friday but warm again. 4mm no booties, even when its average is AMAZING!

Fun surf on the 6'2" stubby. Crowded but lots to go round. Used sun block today.
Spent

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 pm

DOC!
DOC!
Doc!

DOC!
DOC!
Doc!

DOC!
DOC!
Doc!

DOC!
DOC!
Doc!
Spent

Postby smithgrind » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Doc? Surf DOC!!!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Doc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Charged [paddled]the lower Willamette [Portland] hard on a 14 foot board [SUP]...
Caught multiple waves [wakes] ranging from 6" to 24" tops, no barrels [just cross chop]...
Heading south to reacquaint myself with the Pikey's South Central mysto breaks of legend...
Hope the wind stays off it.
doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Tex » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Well I'll be God Damned...what a freakin surprise. Sure is great to get a post from you DOC....thanks for the update, would be great to hear from you ALOT more often!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:45 pm

He's still got you beat on surf reports this month, Tex :lol:

That being said, I too am stoked on July's activity. Always glad when Tex and SG get a session in. Major found a pulse and Box kept his eye on the prize. Doc appeared like ehukai on the kona wind to illuminate subtle truths, but perhaps even more surprisingly, Spent stopped worrying and learned to love the log? Hopefully, summer still has some surprises left for us all, be it the appearance of old friends, new adventures, or just a darn good surf to soothe the soul. This is DJ Howly signing off from Froth City FM. Nanu Nanu.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Got out to the usual break on Sunday late morning around low tide. Bit of wind but otherwise a sunny and a pleasant day to be out. Waves were kind of small and gutless with not much to catch, though, IMO. Seemed I was doing a lot more bobbing and paddling around than surfing. After a long lull, a bigger set would come in with 10 people all jumping on the peak at once. If I blew it or got muscled out, well… here’s 20 more minutes of hip stretching. I did end up catching a few rides, and had a good time out overall, but honestly I didn't think I was getting much done out there. Thought it might have just been me, but based on what I saw and the comments I heard, it appeared I wasn’t the only one wishing for a little bit more action.

After I had been out for several hours trying to make fetch happen, a gal in the lineup yelled over to me “Hey, I saw you catch a good ride!” I looked around me but didn’t see anyone else there. “Who, me?” I asked incredulously. “Yes, you! I saw you get a good long ride! Good job!” I thanked her but expressed my doubtfulness as I did not recall any rides that could have been anywhere close to “good” or “long” that day. She said it had to have been me because I was the only one out there in the lineup wearing a hood. I looked around and, well, at least at that given moment no one else was wearing a hood. She said she knew it was me that she saw. Although I’m still nearly positive that it was a case of mistaken identity, I genuinely thanked her for the compliment and for sharing the stoke. Made my session, even if it was misplaced.

I'm thinking maybe it’s just a matter of perspective. Of course, there’s no bad days on the water, but perhaps from an outside view they’re a little better than we may think. Hope you all are catching some good long ones, too.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 am

Wow surfers actually talking to one another and even complementing....... that's rad BOX. It seems women are changing the the face of Oregon surfing from the old days of grumpy old stink eyed males. Its definitely a bit of a different vibe these days out there on the coast.

And whaaat DOC still surfs and even goes on surf trips now????
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 am

Caught a rare window of squeaky clean beach break on the right coast during a family reunion here in N. Carolina. My sister was out for a morning walk with the dawg and texted me that there were waves. I hustled down to the beach and watched it for a spell with her and got stoked enough to jog back to her place and pull out her 6’ softie with flexy/safety fins. Paddled out and quickly realized I needed wax but after catching a few I didn’t want to bail, waves were getting better. A friendly loc joined me and claimed these were the best waves they’ve seen in two months. Light Off shores with long period southern pulse served up some of the glassiest A frames I surfed in years. Within a half hour we had ten heads on the peak trading off and hooting it up. Positives vibes all around and everyone was getting some. Surfed it up for another hour plus then headed in for lunch and beers as high tide was starting to flood it towards LB conditions. By late afternoon it was done and there hasn’t been waves since.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 am

Goodbye July..... 2 seshies and one day out at the coast as reported and loved every minute of having the surfing monkey off my back.

Enjoyed the window and the solitude mid summer offers in the high Cascadian and E. OR backcountry, the rivers that warm to a comfortable neoprene free swimming temp, and hell even spent a few weekends in the hood driving nowhere, sleeping in, and walking to the local farmers market.

Surf related tuned my decent to good wave boards fixing dings and cracks and cleaning wax, checking and replacing leash loops, and getting things ready for what I hope to be a productive late summer early fall. Nothing on the charts yet, but bound to be a short to mid period 6' wind swell at some point next month. Until then let the boys a girls of summer have at it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf