Change font size   Print view

Julies

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Julies

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Tell us how you scored barrels on a 2.1 @ 8 at a secret point like sandbar off an overlooked sea stack on a -3.6 low.....
or how you scored the mysto southern hemi in the fog with just you and your 2 surf BFF's...
or maybe you busted an air reverse while cross stepping on your soft top in a bikini...
or even how some triathlon wanna be vibed you in the local valley lap pool while trying to stay in surf shape.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Julies

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Rallied an early morning fitness session all by my lonesome at a picturesque, yet extremely fickle, expanse of beach. Listless winds and long lulls induced a sedative effect and I found myself zoning out to fog banks threading the dense and wild range, until the odd set of south hemi snappers slapped me back to the task at hand. Some juice on tap for sure, but seemed to be about 20 minutes between those sets. Log served well for the most part, but I could've stood to shave off the last hour of attempting one last decent line on the steady creep of midtide closeouts. Nevertheless, a bit of serenity is its own reward in this brave new world of ours, especially in tandem with a few zippy little numbers under nonplussed summer skies.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Pulled the trigger on pre-dawn mission, Operation Sucky Freedom. Objective: Catch waves, duck traffic, avoid all human interaction. A success overall, but not without it's challenges, specifically quickwater and junk swell, plus a few rocky obstacles in the rapidly draining impact zone. Same scenery as previous post, but serenity now isolation given the remarkably empty beach. If anyone even bothered to check the surf at that hour, they quickly drove to gentler prospects and I don't blame them. Lured in by a few peelers, I floundered around for about two hours working on bottom turns and knifing into closeouts; rejuvenating, but more a mental game than a proper session. Got mine with no regrets, just like the founding fathers intended, and was pedal to the metal back to bed as the valley's bumper to bumper westward expansion began in earnest.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Nice work boys!! Dawn patrol tomorrow....see what's up.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Had a sesh where absolutely nothing worked. Trotted two boards down after seeing some fine photos of SS the day before and was convinced I would be slaying it with my 5'10 quad. NOPE...low tide brought an element of mush that was surprising given the period. Figured it had to be the board, not the fact that I had been doing football drills with my 13 year old for two hours on Thursday. NOPE, my other 6'5 didnt help me at all. Lots of potential excuses but when other surfers are picking off waves I would usually be nabbing, then it really is on me. A day of zero flow. It happens, luckily, I had nothing else better to do.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 am

Tex wrote:after seeing some fine photos of SS the day before and was convinced I would be slaying it with my 5'10 quad

Never believe what you see on the gram.... coulda been from days prior or the usual smoke and mirrors. You know... what looks like a tapered peak really being a sectiony wall or close out tube. I get your frustration and have been there, but as BOX says any day in the water is a good day and a day at the beach is always better than a day in dirty congested PDX IMO.

I did hear some good reports from the 3rd and 4th, but was perfectly contempt with a refreshing change of scenery, a low human factor, and tranquility out in Oregon's big sky country. We are real lucky to live in a state with so many different landscapes and climates.

May bust out LB this month at some point to ward off the valley rot or may not....... hopefully start to see some little pulses in 6 or so weeks.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 am

Lost my mind and had a killer LB session last night. 10' single fin log, no leash, warm water, long long walled up mini peelers. I'm feeling it. No turns, no worries.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Dang, probably should've camped out last night. Instead, made the early morning commute and arrived by high tide. Ducked into the windshadow and had a refreshing session in the rain. Mellow swell brought some other early risers out of the woodwork, however, most of them mysteriously disappeared right when things got good. Draining tide, rising pulse, and cross-off wind fell into place, delivering some crispy HH peelers among a handful of locs. Drifted down the beach, littorally past the legal limit, into a more direct swell window and picked off enough lefts and rights to satiate me for the time being. Will it be enough for the rest of the month? Probably not, but definitely a nice break from crumbles and closeouts.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

as BOX says any day in the water is a good day

Was going to post exactly this, Tex, but ML beat me to it.

I'm just a kook here and I'm certainly under no delusion about my level of skill and surf knowledge. I don't have much to impart. But I do know a bit about frustration and zero flow days. They suck.

But I just tell myself that there are no bad days in the water. I know it sounds cliché at this point, but it's a good grounder. What did I get to do? I got to spend time in the ocean, surrounded by nature, doing something I love (even when it doesn't love me back). What would I have rather done? Been stuck in my office? Doing a bunch of yard work? Sitting inside all day? Staring out the window at storm rain falling? Chances are, no matter how bad of a session I just had, I probably still would have rather been surfing.

Tex, you’re a beacon of positivity around here so I’m sure you’ve found some good takeaways even if your wave count was low. Hope you get back out there and have a glorious session soon, mi amigo!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Got reacquainted with my 5'8" today. A shite ton of fun. Some SW swell pushing through. Not very powerful but very slashable. No log required. Insanely warm water also. Sectiony but makable. Occasional bigger pulse created some faster walls here and there. Was roasting in my 4/3 and what a treat to surf bare foot. I had to laugh at the hordes who were head to toe in neoprene. Alas, I was rewarded with facial sunburn for my lack of neoprene smugness. Then I got stuck in suicide traffic... Did he jump?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Spent wrote:Got reacquainted with my 5'8" today. A shite ton of fun. ?

Hmmm...I may feel the need to break my 7 month dry spell of surfing on the OR coast.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 am

Traffic was probably the worst I've seen it since I started commuting and one of the few days I've actually driven lately. Even left at 3...... had to back door it over Skyline, a good little trick if you live norte.

Always hard to tell about the water temp. If ya only have one suit, 5 mill is essential. My 4 mill has been collecting dust for most of the last few years. But yeah south winds and swell in the summer, usually translate into to water in the 60s.

Still zero for 13 now but got briefly barreled in the pit last night at Portland Meadows during NOFX :D
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Super fun slash ‘n thrash on my 5’6” Antihero quad in SoCal water temps with SoCal crowds. Broke my dry spell for surfing
in the PNW this year and kinda looking forward to the next time sans the head count. Surf is still better than not surfing for now.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Too much driving, not enough surfing. Took my sweet time checking a spot with potential, but the tide table didn't jive with my time table. Backtracked to a more reliable summer wonderland and suited up just as everyone else was leaving. Saved some time by ditching boots and gloves and logged a very persistent sandbar amidst a fading lineup. Groundswell was coming in a little too hot, reflecting off the headland and re-dispersing into some punchy blowback. More of a rodeo out there than a logjam, bucking me to and fro off CH thumpers, which while very fun, seems to have left me with a few bruises. Slipped and flipped through the flow tide until an inquisitive harbor seal made eye contact, cuing me to attend to the frosted face snoozing in the back of my truck. With all the variables that go into surfing, adding air temp and shaded parking lots too the mix, but that's the price of domesticated animals (and children?) I suppose :roll:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:56 am

I love it when that spot fires up the slingshot!
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf