Change font size   Print view

Sept Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Sept Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:22 am

Sorry Howly..... I had to do the same maybe 6 or so years ago. Was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It was my 1st dog as an adult and I forgot the relationship we build with mans or women's best friend. If you surfed the north coast usualls 10 or so years ago, you probably saw his crazy @ss running up and down the beach. Still haven't gotten another dog.

Nice to see a little more size Friday than earlier in the week and lucked into a quiet sesh at a spot that knows what to do with it. Head high low tide and inconsistent, but beggars cant be choosers. Tested out the newish 5'11" at this spot, which I kept as a quad and was surprised how well it rolled into the deep water outside peaks. Was more of an open face day and I felt like I was snowboarding on this board, flying and carving the HH walls. Cracked a Tecate and watched the end of a killer sunset post surf.

Yest was fun at another spot that can be kind of tricky. Surfed with a bit of kookiness for some reason and wasn't totally synced with the flow, but I did put together some good ones and a few that went all the way through the inside section which is a pretty long ride for these parts. Water and air was pleasantly warm. Picked up a tuna for cheap off the docks and had a nice barbecue on what felt like the last day of summer.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Headed towards Hood instead of the coast to try to score some alpine lake brookies. Crossed paths with my neighbor who was headed to surf. I got skunked and spent the rest of the day watching the cams and kicking myself for not heading the other direction.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Never go to the mtns in Sept... well unless its flat. Got into some good native brookies in July.

Still waiting to hear Smith G's birthday Bajah report?

No longboarding dispatches from Spent?

And where in the hell is XSquid? Have heard and seen good things from his parents zone.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:33 pm

I’m still learning the flow. I think part of it is I haven’t ridden the short board in a while. I need a midweek day to get back in the groove before I have to jockey in a lineup.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Spent » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

Major Lazer wrote:
No longboarding dispatches from Spent?

\.

Funny you mention that. Weekend before last I had two days of pure logging bliss. Warm water, no boots, great wax jobs. A 9'6" Hobie and 10'0 Rowley. Single fin sliding at the cove. Wave count was thru the roof. Little thigh high peelers in both directions but I focused on the rights. Many party waves were had with 100% permission. Most of my logging has been early entry and then just finding trim, no turns, minimal movement, just getting a feel for it, but I started toying around with cross stepping and nose rides.

More recently, I busted out the 6'4" on a shapely but closing out day and it felt nice to get back into some backhand slashes. Probably looked like sh*t but whatever. Then I had a session on the 7'2" 2+1 egg, before the longboard contest at PC... Friday at HT was pretty damn fun at PC. I watched a dude, cheater five into a legit barrel as I paddled out. Felt almost as good as getting tubed myself.... Water has been so warm. I haven't worn boots or a hood in weeks. Surprised to see so many people in 5/4s, booted and hooded up, gloves even... 5 sessions in a week. Not bad... nothing epic yet... but still...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Saw your cute LB Cove insta post...... Have needed booties at times and been rocking a hood cause I almost always do these days. Don't want to go through having ear chiseled or drilled again. Doc (not OSP doc) told me even at 60 degrees your still at risk.

Water got kinda cold again there at one point, think it was day after labor day, but the day prior my buddy said he trunked it. Next day was hand stinging cold and I was border line cold in my 4 mill after about an hour. It seems to be warm(ish) again thou.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Saw your cute LB Cove insta post......

IMG_9044.jpg
IMG_9044.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 12349 times

Rinsing off his wetsuit post-session, Spent closes his eyes, immersed in the afterglow of a good surf. The water abruptly stops and he opens his eyes, realizing a crowd of influencers has encircled him. "Gram The Log. Gram the Log..." they chant. The bewildered surfer acquiesces, hands trembling, choosing the most evocative filter and twee-est caption that will elicit maximum FOMO amongst his followers. If you thought the locals were rough, then you haven't crossed longboard instagram.

And yeah this is a real article from the ol' Gray Lady that I saw in between sessions the other day. It did not lift my already frazzled aloha spirit, but was relieved that I wasn't obligated to post pics given I had opted for a 7'1 that day.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Got out Saturday to a beach south of Newport. Nice day to be out. Saw a bit of wildlife: a pelican swooped by pretty close, a sea lion popped up right next to me and another dude in the lineup, and I saw a Howly Wolf in the water.

Picked a terrible place to paddle out and was struggling until I saw Howly magically appear waving me over and showing me the side door. After that I had minimal problems. We caught up a bit before he eventually paddled off towards a more appealing peak. Good to see you out there, mi amigo, and thanks again for the help.

I’ve been hitting up this location a lot more recently. Howly asked me if this was turning into my new autumn spot over my other favored break. Apparently it is. I started going there more often after I moved further south simply because it was closer and I didn’t have to drive all the way through town. But after thinking about it, I’ve been really digging the vibe of that break lately. The lineup always seems super friendly and chill. I’m not generally a super talkative person. I’m fairly introverted and tend to get into a zone out there. I’ve had maybe 3 people total start up conversations with me ever at the other nearby breaks. But here people tend to be pretty welcoming. I end up meeting someone new almost every time I go out.

This may all seem silly to the outside reader, but as the resident kook I’m more used to people avoiding me like the plague than waving me into waves. It’s a nice change. Now only if I would have caught that wave…
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 pm

I always wear my cute little ear plugs. :roll:
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 am

Doctor said even with plugs important to keep the area around the ear warm. I dunno like I said surgery was brutal.

Box said spot used to be one of my go tos back in the late 90s. There were maybe 12 surfers who seemed pretty picky and occasional some valley boys on weekends mostly from Eugene never from PDX.. Always surprised how busy it is these days and on par with North Coast crowds. Have had some good ones there last few years though despite the crowds. Your stoked you dont have to drive 2.5 hrs to get there. Howly your a driving mofo. My gas bill is already killing my budget this month :evil:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Will be down that zone later this week... maybe see a couple of you...
Spent

Postby Tex » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Heading back North next Thursday...high pressure and good period should set up nicely for my five day surf safari.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am

Do you even surf Oregon bro? :lol:

Caught the tail end of this last swell yest eve. Lights winds, but a little lump. Still HH and fun with some slightly OH sets and another quiet one. 5'11" still doing regular duties, but back to thrust fro tighter shreds.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am

Work gave us the day off, so I went skurfin. Contemplated bringing the longboard, but thought i’d give the ol’ 70’s single a ride since she hasn’t been in the water for about 5 or so years (ripped the bottom of the nose off, repaired about a month ago). Warm water, no wind, and rising tide had some fun little soft shoulders, high tide brought mush. It was nice to try and make some quick turns, but paddling is a whole workout in itself. So for that, I give this session 10/10
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby smithgrind » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Still waiting to hear Smith G's birthday Bajah report?

Not bad considering how little I surf now. I was gifted a mexican hospital pass on my birthday when
the nose of my 6'1" shortboard gave me a kiss on the cheek instead of putting a hole into my face
after a blown late drop. 3 two hour sessions in a day and a half left me wasted with jelly arms. That's
the same amount I've surfer in Oregon all year.
Decided on a rest day which turned out the be the biggest and windiest conditions of my trip. Self medicated with vitamin I, Tecates, and some primo tequila.
Got back in the saddle the next morning and surfed a spot where we were the only gringos in the line up for
a good hour or so. Best vibes ever, no socal angst and smiles and hoots for everyone. Later on the same day
we paddled out to the point amid the smell of death. There was beached gray whale carcass blown up like a balloon,
roasting in the mexican sun. Must've been 25 feet long or so. From the line up I could see the waves hitting it as the fins
and tail would sway with the impact. Waves were terrible as the wind had come up and so after an hour we decided to
bail and make the long paddle back to campo. Not the note I'd like to end the trip on but hey, getting waves down
south is always a treat for me.
smithgrind
greystoke

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf