Change font size   Print view

BroVember

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

BroVember

Postby Tex » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:04 am

It's my birthday month and it includes my favorite holiday of the year so that means a number of surf sessions with Bro's! Started off BroVember with some ol homies from my old hood. We had to hit up Cleanline in CB and I got to model some of the latest surf fashions from the shop. That was followed by a check of in town spots- 6 bros scratching around for some clean peaks but we had a 1st timer with us so you can guess it, straight to SS. Although each pullout had bro's on it setting up well for long lines.

We had a blast and the waves got better as the tide filled in. I got 1st creek, 2nd creek and the N. End. Highlights included some horseshoe lines and peak takeoffs right into the corner pocket with emerald green backlit walls to race along.

After dead arms, went and grabbed my buddies 9'0 Torque log and surfed 2nd creek again, got in super easy little bumps that increased to shoulder size the further in I rode.

Epic session, perfect weather, felt damn near 65 on the beach. I got punch drunk on good vibes, good waves and amazing natural beauty.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: BroVember

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Glad you finally got an OR sesh. Been fun.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Damn, Tex— that report got me frothing and I even surfed that day. Spot I hit was a bit tricky with the long shore drift, but great shortboard waves. Modest notches for a four hour session, but quality over quantity (or so I tell myself).

Saturday was wobbly and small, but surfed if anyway because why not. A decent grovel in idyllic surroundings, a few yakkers getting their kicks and eventually a few longboarders joined as well. Rode the cheater egg as a twin, replacing the sidebites with F6s to experiment. Didn’t like the feel, so switched back and had a lot more fun skating around with minimal fin. Kind of a strange configuration, but works surprisingly well for the shape. It’s got me pumped to add a fish to the quiver, hopefully next year.

Shoulder and back were pretty tight this morning, but rallied a sesh back where I was a week ago, closing the loop. Swell was off kilter due to N wind, but clean. Despite a fat midsection, the 6’4 quad got past the muffintop into a walled up inside that I could tuck under and punch through. Inspired me to set up that future fish as a quad. Fun but kind of crowded today— way more so than last Sunday when things were actually good.

And so ends this little batch of surf reports. Took the old lady out to dinner to salvage our relationship and am gearing up for a marathon work week to balance out the impromptu run of weekday surfs. A minor miracle I was able to pull that off. Hopefully I’ll be able to repay the karmic debt before the swell picks up a notch for a true November reckoning.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:22 am

Met up with the recently departed Spent at a north coast beachie on Friday. I had the family in tow so
it wasn’t going to be a marathon sesh but it was a beautiful day and getting waves with a bro is rare
for me given my constricted life schedule these days.
As we walked down to the beach I saw some bloke paddle into a nice peak and proceed to ride a corner
that stretched on and on. Maybe the longest ride I’ve seen at this spot. I was freaking out and my partner was astounded as well. Turned out it was Spent. We ended up having one of the best surfs in recent memory and agreed if either of us wasn’t there to share the experience it would be difficult to know if it really happened. It was that good.
Even though there were a number of LBs in the line up competing for set waves somehow he and I caught the best waves on our shortest boards and rode for as long as our legs and lungs would allow. The waves begged us to ride even further. I know I left plenty of open shoulder on the plate after blowing some skate inspired layback slashes with noodled calves.
One of those days when it all came together and you get to share it with a bro. Vaya con dios, Spent!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 pm

"Noodled Calves" a very good sign that many waves were had. Well done bro!
Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am

Kind of shocked watching the SUP crew out at Seaside this morning. Amazed they are getting what looks like somewhat of a pass out there. I have a board retreat at Cannon Beach on Wed and Thursday....bringing my gear for dawn patrol. Hoping to score a minimally crowded mid week sesh.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Did we surf together this morning, Tex? I was making similar observations from the lineup, but didn't really care since I was noodled by the time the cavalry arrived. Not a big fan of the Shorties lot vibe that creeps in on weekends and holidays, so made sure to hit it and quit it while the tide was lowish and the east winds blowith.

Yesterday was surreal. Pulled up to a spot and it was straight heaving-- 7-8' vertical drops with a touch of annihilation thrown in for good measure. My guess is that the reports were understated and the deep tide was amplifying the groundswell. Paddled out anyway and got humbled repeatedly, having to start from scratch several times after giving into hesitation. Finally rallied past my mindfox and picked off a roiling peak; I can still recall the sensation of the drop and burying the rail deep into the face to swing up for a forehand snap before the whole thing caved. Rode the cascading whitewater into shore, switched on.

Caught a few more before recognizing the misdirection of fatigue. Walking past the torq brigade floundering around the inside of the inside and the summer good time squad embarking on playdates on the beach, I started to question my grip on reality. Was I perceiving summer fluff as winter gnar? It did not help to scope cams afterwards and see barely any pulse at all. But that's all an afterthought-- still charged up, fingers still numb. Who knew disassociation could provide so much stoke!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Another Friday, another surf date with Spent. Extra foam and S wind protection were in order given the forecast.
Dusted off my LB and tossed a few of his sub six grovelers in the wagon and caught up on life on the way out.
Pretty fun waves in the waist to rib range with section making rights and some lined up lefts. Found my way to
the nose a few times and grooved on cross stepping again. It’s been a few years but it’s kinda like line dancing in your favorite sh!t kickers, crisp cowboy hat, and snug wranglers. Just feels sooo right.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby INTERN » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Gf is on a girls trip this weekend and forecast looks like 7-10 at 10-12...hmmmmm...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am

They will SLAY IT!
Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am

Howly- my earlier observations were based solely on the seaside cam that morning...I probably watched you get some epic barrels! Was down at SS on Tuesday at 7:00 and had a tight window for some surf but it was super un-organized with close out sets on the regular. Long story short, I didnt pull the trigger....seemed to get better at Haystack as I watched from the conference room till sunset when the board meeting wrapped up.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:26 pm

5 sessions into BroVember all within the last week. Didn't bother when it was micro and onshore early in the month. Sessions have ranged from consistent wonky weird to inconsistent, but lined up beach break sessions. Pretty fun ones on my 1st official Vets day off as a working professional, thank you for your service vets! Water has been frio! Pulled a sickie :mrgreen: and caught the last of the golden conditions (for now) and 6'-7' swell a few days ago. Not as good as I was hoping for, but damn fun and the session with the most consistently lined up waves out of the bunch some offering 3 to 4 turns. And another beaut of a day and possibly warmer water yet was paddling a lot. Pretty much been on the same board the last 3 months, a 5'11" chunky yet HP squash thruster, and it feels good to be dialed in. Almost fined up an old fav double winged swallow 6' SB for that last sesh as I have a small ding I need to fix, but said fug it why ruin a good thing.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:56 pm

INTERN wrote:Gf is on a girls trip this weekend and forecast looks like 7-10 at 10-12...hmmmmm...

Road trip to the Strait bro! Ereyons doing it.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Major Lazer wrote:
INTERN wrote:Gf is on a girls trip this weekend and forecast looks like 7-10 at 10-12...hmmmmm...

Road trip to the Strait bro! Ereyons doing it.

I don't even know what that is...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am

Ahhhhhh the beautiful Strait of Juan de Fuca that separates Washington from Canada. Swell that size (7-10) can sometimes barrel down the Strait and produce some epic waves.
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf