Change font size   Print view

PC Parking Plan

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

PC Parking Plan

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 am

Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: PC Parking Plan

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Between this and FaceKook digging into Tierra Del Mar, I'm starting to think that capitalism doesn't work...

https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/ ... -duin.html
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Parking issue has obvious reasons. NW Oregon is going through some serious growing pains right now. The growth in the Portland Metro is causing issues in outliers with recreational resources like Pacific City. It’s happening to the east as well. Sandy is talking about a Hwy 26 bypass to alleviate local traffic vs traffic going to Mt Hood and Meadows is building a new lodge and parking lot, yet no new lifts or terrain added :roll:

Geographic constraints like bridges, tunnels, and limited real estate also play a huge role. In the case of PC, its limited real estate for parking and ever increasing visitors. Will read the plan on Max ride. I've worked with the consultant the County hired on several projects over the years. This is a unique one for them for sure.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Multi level parking lots comes to mind.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Where?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby McDing » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Actually it’s just another way to get even more people packed into that very small area. The next time your down there stand in the middle of the parking lot and look around. Do a 360 view visual survey. Who benefits $$$ wise from even more people packed in. I said it before; Tillamook County screwed up when they didn’t require adequate parking as part of the rampant built on sand development that has gone on at the Cape. I am at times pro-development . But the at any cost @ss kissing that the County does with these folks is ridiculous.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am

It's a shame that Oregon State Parks couldn't of purchased the land from the Cape to the south lot at the least. Pelican should be where the pizza place is or not there at all. Seems like once phase one of the time shares were in place, the best wave in PC became pretty much a ghost and I don't think I am the only one who thinks that is the case.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby McDing » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Major—. I totally agree. About 15 years ago I was in town to visit my daughters and the Ledbetters were doing the contest. I was down in the lot and a local guy came up to me and showed me a pic of waves at the Cape. Lined up,point break style waves. He claimed that the remodel and expansion of the Pelican Pub affected the sand flow at the Cape and ruined the break. Since then the Time Share, Hotel and Restaurant have all been built on Sand. Let me say that again; SAND. And do I need to say that Mary Jones and her husband Jeff Schon own the whole works.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby McDing » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am

I think what i am saying is that if you took a count of all the rooms at the time share, the hotel, the inn , the new restaurant and the Pelican; You would not have one parking space per room without even considering the brewery or the restaurant.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

The development on the Cape was short sighted from the jump. What did community leaders expect to happen once all these projects were completed? People to car pool to their time share?

Let's be real: The whole point of any scalable enterprise is to grow to an extent that they themselves can't be policed-- CK's issues are but one example; look at how Uber elbowed it's way into Portland for another. From reading the article in the Sun, it's evident there will be no repercussions on the business entity responsible for the mess. Visitors, and more importantly the local community, are left holding the bag while more billboards go up in the valley promising a beer and burger on the beach will make our dreams come true.

The county/state seriously dropped the ball on zoning the Cape. If it follows it's current trajectory, I worry that PC will be an exclusive haven for the wealthy within a decade or two. Really hope I'm wrong about that.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Where?

At the pelican. Elevators open up to the beach.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby McDing » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 am

Elevators to the beach? Lol. Makes total sense and right in line with everything that has gone on down there.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby McDing » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 am

I was told by a very reputable source who frequents that circle at the Cape that the Cape Mafia god mother and god father recently purchased the RV Park, the Kite Shop and all the land around it for several million $$$$. There used to be a few residents that lived in that RV Park year round. But you don’t think they intend to leave it an RV Park do you? No it’s most likely the next high end hotel. They should be forced to turn it into a parking lot. But they will probably put a move on the County Campground for that. Which means there will be NO Economy lodging at the Cape. How many kites can you sell in a weekend anyway? I was told the price. They’ve been trying to buy it up for a long time.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Slowly been reading the plan. Not a whole lot to comment about as of yet. Some OK ideas, but none about building an entirely new lot. Just using some existing lots, with a shuttle service. Seems like that old RV park, would serve as a good site for a multi-level public parking facility but what are the chances it could be purchased by the County for so.

On another note counted 20 heads out this AM on a Monday in mid-December. Waves did look fun, but kinda tripping on crowd up here now vs. what I saw in SoCal this past weekend. Might of caught a random window, but people always trip down there when I tell them how busy it gets here. Been looking at Ventura for a while now. Last time I was there real estate was fairly close to what it is in my neighborhood now. :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf