Change font size   Print view

Winter surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Winter surf log

Postby Tex » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the tips in SD brother...appreciate it
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby buoyhead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:47 am

Passed on the beachbreak as swell increased and it looked like too much work for this senior citizen. Opted for the usual left and had it to myself for an hour until a friend joined me for another hour until a few more arrived and the wind switched onshore. A beautiful day, indeed.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am

Ended the leap year strong. Saw HP and LP and told the Boss man I needed a few dayz off. Hit the road for a change of scenery and a little shelter and found fun chest to a few feet over head at a few different spots with light crowds. Crusted out in a rundown RV park for a few dayz and surfed thumpy lefts and rights courtesy of January's monsoonal deluge. Doubled up on sessions and stoke. Mostly rode 5'11" RR, but busted out the 6'3" Phantasma yesterday. Felt kinda stiff, but extra foam was nice. Also busted out sunnies, shorts, and flip flops 8) Just what the doctor ordered. :D
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 am

Feb was a good one this winter, but 1st session in March yest reminded me of things to come....

longer days
sun
north winds
family beach trips
my kids getting back in the water
crowds on LB's and midlengths (the later I need to add to my quiver)
spots with mushy gutless waves
lowered expectations and 3 beer buzz's on the beach
time to buy a ticket to Mex
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Went up north of Newport yesterday late morning. Only a few cars in the lot when I pulled in, but by the time I was suited and booted the overflow lot was filling in.

The sun felt good, the water felt cold. Still need to replace my gear. Put it off since I hadn’t been out much this winter, but I was feeling it yesterday especially after things started flattening out a bit and I was out bobbing waiting for sets to come in. A wave finally came, I went to pop-up and I realized I couldn’t feel my right foot on the board. It was completely numb. Called it quits shortly after. Not looking for an ankle injury right when the weather's finally starting to turn.

Still had fun and got in a couple of hours so not too bad. Would have liked to catch more waves while I was out there (or not blown so many of the chances I did get), but that’ll probably always be the case. Still feeling a bit of regression from not being out consistently for the past few months. I’ve tried to stay active, but there’s no substitute for time in the water I guess. Remedy: surf more.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:31 am

Waters been pretty cold. Don't short yourself out on a new and good suit. Staying warm and being comfortable makes a world of difference. Nothing worse than getting frozen out during a long lull. :x
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Don't short yourself out on a new and good suit

Yeah, I'll probably hit up the wetsuit thread for recommendations when I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. Want to get something good but won't break the bank. Still reeling from buying a house last year and have a bunch of projects on the docket for summer. So, brown-bagging it and saving up my lunch nickels for now. Looking forward to another brisk session Sunday in the meantime.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf