Change font size   Print view

To Surf or not to Surf

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

To Surf or not to Surf

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:40 am

That is the question right now granted its been pretty flat over the last week.

Sounds like its a no go in Europe with a ban going on. A little different here, sure there are times you can find a rando peak, but we all know what breaks can get crowded and at times have people on top of each other.

Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: To Surf or not to Surf

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Been weighing the exact same question myself.

Obviously, the responsible thing to do is stay home as much as possible, however, as surfers, we're pretty much obligated to be selfish pricks-- we've got a reputation to maintain after all.

That said, when this pathogen hits the coast (if its not there already) it could get pretty grim given the ratio of older residents to local medical services. Crowded lineups will be the least of anyone's concerns at that point :|
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:24 pm

PS -- scored a good window on Saturday; several distinct peaks good for social distancing and bowling rights & lefts. Lots of traffic heading West on the 26 Sunday, all presumably heading to one of the two spots I'll likely be avoiding for the foreseeable future.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 pm

I got out last night for a session south of Newport. It was pretty flat. I knew that it would be but I had the time and I figured worst case scenario I would spend a nice evening floating in the ocean and catching a nice sunset (if not a lot of waves). No regrets.

Whether it was the conditions or corvid-19 I don't know but social distancing was definitely not a problem. Just me and two kite surfers who packed it in shortly after I got there. Can't speak to the weekend traffic, though. I went hiking and kayaking.

No cases in Newport as of the time of this post, but the city is on lock down. Closed the pool, the rec center, the senior center, the performing arts center, the library, etc. Nothing to do but surf :D Oh, and the local police don't want you to call 911 if you run out of toilet paper, either... https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/us/newpo ... index.html
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Thinking out loud here...... drive to beach hans solo, find uncrowded peak, surf, and self isolate.

May rent a place for fam in an uncrowded and small beach town (not North Coast). Stick to house, beach walks, and daily seshies.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DG82zt]Image
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 am

Curios about risk level if you surf solo in the ocean. Generally feels safe from an exposure standpoint but maybe I am not thinking through all the risk points?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 am

watching the PC cam, about 10 surfers out there right now. Interesting sand bar that triggers a break on the south end.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:06 am

I saw 9/10 of those people congregated on the north end and therein lies the rub-- not too many people actually surf alone (even if they're trying to).

That said, sharing the lineup isn't the problem; public restrooms, tight trails, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. are more of a concern. In our present situation, majority of transmission is caused by asymptomatic individuals who remain contagious despite lack of cough or sneeze. A trip to the pisser is all it takes to do some real damage to someone else and by extension, the community.

As Box noted, there are no confirmed cases on the coast at this time, but with Spring Break on the horizon and the ski resorts closed, I think we all have a responsibility to think deeply about what risks we're willing to take and what stoke we might be willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 pm

The data is skewed because of testing and how hard it is to get tested. I'd gander its on the coast already, but I haven't surfed and still on fence. Still thinking choose a remoteish spot, not in a town. Piss and poop outside if you have to, don't stop anywhere, sanitize credit card before and after getting gas, and don't spit on anyone :D I have a river rafting toilet for dispersed camping. Nothing like a good shite in the woods. Wife overheard someone talking about going to Rockaway for Spring Break and that was their Social Distancing. Also Ski Bowl still spinning chairs with Stube and rentals closed.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Rockaway = social distancing.....that cracks me the hell up man cause it is KINDA TRUE.
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Totes surfin'...not even a question. I'm potentially doing more harm by
going to work everyday and "working from home" is not an option in my
line of work. Unless you're bumping rails, pulling leashes, shoulder hopping and spraying
hassles in seaside it's not that hard to maintain distance from people in the line up.
But by all means, stay home if you have even a passing consideration. Please...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:22 am

Some locs out there saying to stay away and pissed that spring breakers are showing up. Meanwhile some surf shops advertising to go surfing........

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 am

Also hearing the governor might issue a "shelter in place" by the weekend.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 am

Major Lazer wrote:Some locs out there saying to stay away and pissed that spring breakers are showing up.

Yeah, but what do they think about the virus?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am

Just got word that Oregon campgrounds are cancelled from 4/3 - 5/8 (at the earliest).
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf