Change font size   Print view

To Surf or not to Surf

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: To Surf or not to Surf

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Man that is some BS....and why are they clustered so tight???
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am

I am doubting its all locals there in PC and from what I heard, people with out of state plates are showing up. I've also seen at least one person with "pdx" in their Insta handle posting pic of waves and board from the other day with hashtags #today #surfordie :roll: Fuckking Idiot.

But yeah people think they can still surf and in my mind you can in some places, but if you cant walk out your front door to an uncrowded peak then you are breaking the ban. The governor clearly outlined that driving for any recreation is prohibited.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Yeah, planned walk that back after seeing Garry's "story" on the gram yesterday. Guess, I'm just cranky because 1) no surf for me 2) John Prine died 3) I'm very much over the notion that pandemic is someone else's problem or someone else's "fault".

I'm also completely done with the idea that surfing in the peak of a deadly pandemic is somehow rebelling against an unjust government. Personally, I think it's just a colossal FU to doctors, nurses, EMS, first responders, communities large & small, and vulnerable individuals. #surfordie dude can get bent and so can everyone busting into closed parks/trails/etc.

Now that I've completed my daily allotment of whining-- something I've been thinking about in my own relationship to surfing is what aspects of life I'm willing to sacrifice waves for. It's easy to blow off jobs, school, relationships, habits, interests, etc. for the pursuit of surfing... but what will I NOT surf for? Maybe it's some yin-yang trip I'm on or more likely just a desperate attempt to justify my lame existence in the valley, but... there's more to surfing than just surfing (or maybe not). Anyway, it's been a helpful meditation to pass time in quarantine and so far has prevented me from breaking the glass of my "emergency surfing plan".

Of course, recent fluff has not been especially tempting anyway...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:38 pm

No I get it.... there's been a lot of whining going on and everyone seems to be on edge right now and those who haven't surfed need a surf whether its good bad or ugly at this point. Having surfed for most of my life, I've had plenty of waves and having lived in the valley for almost 15 years now :twisted: :oops: less has become more so to speak. I'm gonna wait it out at this point and already looking forward to late summer early fall.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:44 pm

I haven’t surfed since a while before the big lockdown. I watch the local cams and see 10-12 heads in the water and I get jealous and want to go, too, but I haven’t. Trying to do the right thing but I admit, it’s been tempting. I should probably just stop checking the cams.

Based on my observations, most folks around here are obeying the stay-at-home order and keeping hunkered down, but there are a few scofflaws who blatantly park outside the park barricades and just walk in. No doubt there are some locals who think the restrictions don't apply to them. Those folks deserve your valley scorn, imo.

I've been keeping busy working on a big landscaping project. It’s coming along pretty nicely, but unfortunately both the budget and my yard are too small to install a wave pool so I guess I'm going to have to wait a little longer to get a session in.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Haven't even been looking at the forecast, but for whatever reason I just did. Looking like a small to mid range late season long period west. :? Dang. Oh well. Looking like at least another month until things start to open back up.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:37 am

Gone stir crazy for sure.....kids are fairly stressed with distance learning now...want to surf but cannot see any scenario where I pull the trigger before June. I have been walking the dog through Wellington park....and looking for empty lots/walls to let my kid practice driving/skate/pickleball. Some fresh new industrial park off of 30 is open, blacktop is ultra smoooove.
Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am

DUUUDES hitting it on the Kiwanda cam.....eff it is hard to watch
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:48 am

These will certainly be the black halcyon days for the line ups where surfing is still being allowed. Like Hawaii, true Nor Cal, the Oregon coast, etc. Locals are enjoying the sparsest line ups and funnest waves in many decades. I know I've been questioning my existence so far from the surf in greater depths than ever. Now I am hoping my wife might finally come around after all this and tilt to a more rural lifestyle away from the urban density I've never really enjoyed all that much. And at the same time why do I even bother commuting to work when it can be done from home? Why travel far for anything day to day ever again when you don't have to? Driving just seems stupider than ever considering it contributes to negatives like traffic, bad air quality, fossil fuel consumption, etc. One silver lining to this whole thing has been the experiment in living locally and in the grand scheme of things, driving almost 2 hours for surf just seems ridiculous. Shitt you may just see some nice sleds on Craigslist eventually.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:45 pm

anybody have the back story on moving all that sand? I have been watching them plow it around all day.
Been working from home since 2016, would never want to go back to an office.
Tex

Postby INTERN » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:49 pm

It looks like when they open a river/ stream mouth, maybe sewer...?
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Last time I was there (which was maybe in October?) the bank leading from the lot on south was more like a cliff. The beach was practically nonexistent on the king tide, but it also seemed to be drawing more sand into certain features... I'm assuming now that summer's on the horizon, they're dumping sand off the edge to create a more gradual slope for the masses.

Speaking of summer, it's kind of strange to think about all the state parks and scenic areas reopening in the height of tourist season. Seems to me that as soon as there's a green light, every single person along the I-5 corridor is going to flee town, yet again overwhelming all the rural areas and potentially flaring up the damn virus. Hopefully, things are managed a little better than that, but we'll see.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm

There will be a deep level of pent up demand for valley kooks like me to get my OR COAST ON....pure madness.
Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Oh and thanks for the explanation Howly, that def makes sense to me.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Heard a rumor campgrounds might be closed until September. A lot of people come from out of state and internationally in the summer, so maybe its to keep that from happening in addition to valley campers.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf