Change font size   Print view

Surfing From Home

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Surfing From Home

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am

This has nothing to do with surfing but... Minutes after I posted last night, a drunk driver hit four or five parked cars outside my house. This was the third hit and run on my block this month. Well, I guess this one was an attempted H & R -- the guy tried to drive off in someone else's car and almost got his @ss beat by some militia dudes that pulled over. All my neighbors along four of five blocks were outside, like a giant block party. Crime Street popping off!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Been a little cray cray..... same shite happened here in inner NE the other night in front of some friends's house. 3 cars involved and hit and run driver got away. Another couple we know was held up at gunpoint walking down the street. Also seen more smash and grabs then I've seen in 15 years. I have been enjoying the early morning walks and avoiding nights, not that there is anywhere to go right now. Keep your shite locked down. Be ready for the worst, yet hope for the best. Maybe like people stop moving here, but doubt it. Looking forward to some time out of town hopefully in the nearish future. Until then I'll be shredding my back yard.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Unfortunately, I think more people are moving here right now... covid refugee'n.

Article in the paper said that Washington is moving to start opening up some day use areas. No guarantees that Oregon will follow suit, but it'll be interesting to see how they manage that. Kind of screwy that Washington had the bigger outbreak, but are moving quicker to re-open wilderness areas than us. Still good to see some sort of progress in the PNW though.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:31 am

Warshington is opening all State Parks, day use areas. They are ahead of us case and recovery wise albeit we share borders.

Was talking with some friends who went to see family in Hood River this past weekend. They took the long way through Govey and around Hood. Said there were plenty of people out and about recreating, like early 2000's weekend crowds. Mushroom permits are being sold and the National Forests are open.

As for the coast it sounds like CB is resentful of the harsh tone they sent out. Not even getting local residents, all the while Tillamook is still open for business. Where do you think the rich X hippies of Manzinita get their supplies..... I'm thinking the State needs to start opening some beaches in the coming week and let people take their chances. if some towns want to remain closed, fuckk em stay closed and stay home. I often surf without ever going into any towns anyways. Been Social Distancing for most of my adult life.

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 pm

[insert whining here]
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 am

I am happy to report that my youngest son has determined (completely on his own volition) that surfing is all he wants to do this summer. He has picked my 6'5 Corey Davis custom shaped squash tail tri-fin as his board of choice to master this year. He has scraped off wax from my entire quiver. He now sets bars of wax in front of his fan at night to make his room smell more like surf. I have been waiting for this moment for the last 16 years. Honestly I had pretty much given up hope that either of my boys would ever be interested in surfing. Now we talk about JOB vids and how to pop and duck dive. Literally the kid asked me if he was talking about surfing too much with me....like that could ever happen.

Now we just need those parks to open up!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am

That's awesome, Tex! I seem to recall he showed promise per your surf reports from long ago and I'm glad he came around. Just make sure he doesn't get his license too soon, so you can have an excuse to drive him to the beach and surf with him before he gets too cool for dad.

But don't plan on a road trip to Cali anytime soon. Gov. Newsom is dropping an executive order to close all beaches and state parks effective May Day. I bet the Illusion will have a lot to say about that, as will many many many others. 2020 beach riot seems inevitable.

[UPDATE: Only OC is closing beaches-- no statewide order. Beach riot 2020 has been postponed indefinitely.]
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby X-squid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am

Right on Tex - I'm waiting for that day too. Both my boys are pretty intimidated by the ocean here still (cold and gnarly-looking most of the time.) I have had them out and they got legit waves late last summer but they haven't quite been 'bit' yet. My youngest (10) is absolutely shredding it on his skateboard tho. Before the lockdown he made the tall vert drop at the Newberg skatepark... I don't think I ever could have done that as a grom.

I am planning to head to the LC digs on my next furlough, no matter the COVID lockdown situation (I'm on a 2 week on 2 week off schedule through June due to the impact our biz took.) Can't work; might as well surf.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 am

While the beaches are open, the white suits are apparently in just off LC beaches. 1000's of sealions are rafting up and down and people have been chased out of the water by large sharks. Gotta love Oregon surfing. Yea!

Recent pics from local photog.......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:09 pm

1000s of horny sea lions at that.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 04, 2020 10:38 am

So whats the latest on the stay at home order? Saw the state of emergency was extended to July last week. Also sounds like some guy Seth, I think that's is his name, is trying to get Seaside open ASAP. I think the board is meeting again this week.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Mon May 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Major Lazer wrote:So whats the latest on the stay at home order? Saw the state of emergency was extended to July last week. Also sounds like some guy Seth, I think that's is his name, is trying to get Seaside open ASAP. I think the board is meeting again this week.

Apparently this is the difference between the state of emergency and the stay at home order:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health ... 7c6bec3216

Haven't been paying attention to the Seaside situation...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 pm

That does not bode well for Astoria, nor for a grand coastal reopening.

A few state parks are opening up this weekend :) none on the coast :cry: but slight progress nonetheless :|
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri May 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Meanwhile in the OC:

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf