Change font size   Print view

COVID Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: COVID Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Flex time is good for the soul. !SHA-KA!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Is Indian even open yet brah-ha-ha?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 am

Anyone get pitted on International Surfing Day???? :lol:

I've been out on the coast most of the week - hit Shorties Wednesday. Pretty busy in the water - swell was a little disorganized but some thumpy a-frames to be had. Went south to the LC digs and hit Agate super early yesterday; had it mostly to myself from 6-8 (4 heads out total, including myself.) A little mushy but found some lines. Crowd started trickling in as I scooted out. I actually didn't realize it was International Surfing Day until I saw all the posts about the absolute messes left at Otter, SS and elsewhere yesterday evening. Way to go, people...

Taking a skate day today. Happy Father's Day to those with the groms!
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby INTERN » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:29 am

I hit short sands early Friday. Looking at the cams it seemed small and dribbly and I debated bring 9'6". Such a pain to have to put a board on the roof and try to carry it down, paracord tied to the shortboard and looped around the shoulder (NTS: get a board bag). Glad I brought the log. Lowtide had me lapping wedgy sets, ending with a nice long one with a good little sit in the pocket. Was definitely a day of glide. Tide rising brought jumbledness and a weird fog for a bit. Picked back up again with some steeper inside sets, little sketchy with so much foam to control. Caught a few more then ditched as the beach started to get absolutely swamped, with more late arrivals hunting the parking and in 26 traffic. That's 2 surfs in 2 weeks. Not a bad start.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby smithgrind » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Brohampton zoo on Friday. Nice swell running, got a few but mostly close outs as is
the case there with a dropping tide. The parking scene there now puts is beyond.
Can't wait to ride the shuttle bus with all my gear!
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:42 pm

Have had good luck on the lower tides. Family beach day Friday...... opted for popular beach despite getting an early report from a semi rando we've had luck with recently. Nearly impossible to get my girls out of the house before 8 am and figured it would be blown to shreds by the time I got there not to mention gromitas were looking to get wet. July 4th crowds in the lot, but not to bad on the beach if you walked a little ways. South lot still closed for some reason, so wasn't as maxed as it looked. Surfed with my family at high and then had a fun funboard sesh on the low. 1st few waves had dry hair and flew down the line on my 7'3", wind whipping through my Coivd locks, doing my best Knost steeze. 8) Bailed the Rona Beach Party and eyed some tasty looking adult waves that were out of reach for me at the time. Camped at a crusty RV park I've never botherd with, but not much available during these Covid times. Woke to rain and I mean rain. Summer Solstice session was a soggy one. Felt closer to Winter solstice. Tricky, but solid and thumpy. Pulled into a couple that shut, but quick views were nice. Lasted an hour or so before I grew tired. RV people are fuuking loud and slept like shite. Rolled home rinsed and hung pile of sandy dank prene and opted for the seclusion of my backyard Fathers Day. Missing the covert Covid sessions.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 am

Took the 14' sit-in log to a deep east side spot between South Sister and Bach. Got the GF comfortable with cruising, made some turns, got some much needed outside time. No 2" wind waves were caught, but any time in some body of water is good right? Slept cold, made breakfast in the rain, and bounced. Headed back home east of the Cascades and dug on the scenery. In 4 hours it felt like we went through 3 or 4 different biomes and climates. All in all, not bad for a quick overnighter.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am

Nice you most certainly did...... at least 2 or 3 or different biomes and climates. Heading deep east for the holiday, far far away from the masses hopefully. Will strike this week before Merica takes over the coast thou.

Lazy yesterday and getting tired of the summer crowds. Opted for a buzz in the backyard. That said, looked like a bump in the water and pretty quiet on one cam. Fairly consistent wind swell on tap. Wonder if we will go back into closures and shelter in place mode as we are hitting record numbers day after day. :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 am

Yeah we done screwed the pooch with the COVID - I think economy will trump public safety though during this 2nd wave (or spike or whatever.) Doubt there will be another stay-at-home order but I could be wrong.

Interesting issue with skateparks - we've hit almost a dozen over the last month, and LC is the only one still technically closed. People crammed in at the LC Farmer's markets and the outlets with 0 social distancing, yet LC PD and city workers being complete a$$holes, running people out every hour (I counted 6 total people in there max). Can't help but think there must be some other underlying issue at hand.

Wrapped last week with another session at Agate - super mushy and windblown but warm - went without booties/gloves in the 4/3. Nice to feel wax under the feet...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 pm

X-squid wrote:Interesting issue with skateparks - we've hit almost a dozen over the last month, and LC is the only one still technically closed. People crammed in at the LC Farmer's markets and the outlets with 0 social distancing, yet LC PD and city workers being complete a$$holes, running people out every hour (I counted 6 total people in there max). Can't help but think there must be some other underlying issue at hand.

That is some serious bullshite. I wonder what is up their azzholes in LC :roll: Did you skate the updated Newport park?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby X-squid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 am

smithgrind wrote:
X-squid wrote:Interesting issue with skateparks - we've hit almost a dozen over the last month, and LC is the only one still technically closed. People crammed in at the LC Farmer's markets and the outlets with 0 social distancing, yet LC PD and city workers being complete a$$holes, running people out every hour (I counted 6 total people in there max). Can't help but think there must be some other underlying issue at hand.

That is some serious bullshite. I wonder what is up their azzholes in LC :roll: Did you skate the updated Newport park?

Indeed we did hit Newport - those new sections are super smooooth. Funny you mention that because we skated there, surfed Agate and then headed back to LC. My son wanted to hit the LC skatepark again, so when the city worker rolled in and started giving us shite, my first question was so, what? You can catch COVID in LC and not Newport??? Typical 'I don't make the rules' response... One of the local kids did tell me the folks at the church that overlook the park aren't rel keen on the park being there.

I can only imagine during Sunday service someone blowing a trick and a loud-a$$ "FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCC" reverberating through the Sunday masses....
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:01 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Haha actually have an old yet functional beater fun board a buddy gifted me. My daughter rides it, but Dad also gets sessions on it every now and again esp when he has to hike it down and back up from Poopsands. Kinda still in the market thou for something new, but might have to pull in on a LIB Lost Rocket when they finally come out here at the end of summer.

Coped a few July seshies before Mercia took over the coast with their boom boom booms. More of that wonkyish wind swell yet had some pop to it. Highlight was one of the quietest sessions I've had in years at the Sands. Pissing rainy glass, early evening, 6 to 8 heads out, most of whom I've seen down there over the last 16 years, and some funish ones on the shortbort. C+ maybe B- but good for July I guess.

Bailed off the grid to one of my fav backcounty hideouts for some sunshine and disconnecting and reflecting on the 4th. Did that south show up, up here? Looks like CA went bazonka, so guessing there was some local leakage? Forecast looking like July.... just want that summer sun to show up and I'm good until September.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf