Change font size   Print view

COVID Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: COVID Sessions

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm

What happened? When did October turn into a bad version of April or early Spring? 2 weeks dry as of tomorrow....... even picked up a new grovler. Well I did hear the landlord was lurking at Indian. :shock:
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Zz
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:12 am

Found a Fling Flang Flung in my dims! Well close anyways. Been several kicking around lately. Would prefer a liter or 2 more volume up from my standard SB, but price was right and board is brand spanking new! Hoping to test later this week.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:36 am

I’ve had some fun outings lately as my summer dawn patrol sessions have now turned to evening sunset sessions. Wouldn’t say any of them were glorious, but I’ve snagged a few nice rides here and there that have definitely kept the stoke fired up. Not quite ready for the CT, but I can tell I’m progressing after a long plateau so I’m feeling good about that.

A guy in the water a few weeks back suggested I get a fish. He recommended something 6’3” x 23”. He may have been messing with me. Anyway, I’m around 5’11”, 170lbs or so. I’m currently riding a 7’6” egg that I’m happy with. I’m not currently ready to drop $ on a board right now, but was thinking of getting a log somewhere down the line for small summer days. Should I be considering a fish instead?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:58 am

Zzz
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Assuming you've been living up to your handle there BOX..... Good points by Howly. Well there is the long fish, the stretched out midlength version, but don't get a huge over foamed fish as it will kinda defeat the purpose and just surf a lot like your egg. The OG Lis fish was a design surfed 6' and under and if you come from a snowboarding or skate background, a fish will compliment that quite well. Id say a 5'11" might be good for your weight height. I'd also go tri or quad or even better 5 fin boxes. Avoid the twin fish for now.

If you want to move to a shortboard, you could always just go full volumed shortboard or kind of a midlength shortboard hybrid: https://www.realwatersports.com/collections/lost-party-crasher This is just an example. Something like this might make a nice transition from egg to shortboard. Maybe a 6'0"- 6"2'?

In reality Id say get both, log for summer and small days, and egg and fish or shortboard for all else in between. 3 board quiver is pretty ideal and covers a lot of bases.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Lota wind and weirdness this Oct. Typically like the smaller mid period swells this time of year when the sands been fairly stable and conditions seem to be butter more often than not. There's a consistency of variables we don't often get. I have noticed over the last 3 years or so, the last few weeks of August through September seem to produce better sessions than mid to late October, with good Novembers.

Sounds like a La Nina winter out the back. Recollection is stormy north and dry south, with less than optimum swell generation (for the south) despite storm activity. I did back to back mid winter trips to Baja in the late 90s and noticed a stark difference between El Nino, which had the points pumping week after week to La Nina which was hit or miss down there. Regardless we will suffer and pay our dues in the Beaver State. Looking forward to getting out of the county on a surf trip.

Interesting map to big to embed:
https://d14fqx6aetz9ka.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/15144343/Winter2020_precipoutlook_2100.png
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks, Howly and ML. I appreciate the advice.

I doubt he was messing with you… 6'3 x 23" strikes me as too much board for a proper fish

Yeah, he was actually pretty cool and seemed to be earnest in his advice. But I couldn’t find anything online with anything close to those kind of dims for a fish and I’m too ignorant about boards to know if he was joking about those or not.

going short will fit better in the wave

Which was the point of his advice. He thought the egg was too long to get into the waves that day and thought I needed to go shorter but still keep some float.

I'd also go tri or quad or even better 5 fin boxes. Avoid the twin fish for now

Ok, good to know. I was looking at twin set-ups online

If you want to move to a shortboard

I hadn’t really considered it before now as I figured they were more about performance and required a higher-level skill than I currently have. The board you sent in that link looked pretty good, though. I might have to rethink things.

What it comes down to is having an idea what type of surfing you want to focus on

Id say get both, log for summer and small days, and egg and fish or shortboard for all else in between

Really, right now my goals are set on just becoming a competent surfer. Not gonna lie, I like the ease and glide of a longboard, but I also want to be proficient doing carves, turns, and trimming down the line with speed. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but I’d rather have the best tool for the job. Same I guess goes for small days in the summer as well. So, I guess it’s settled. I’ll need to pick up both types and fill out that quiver :lol:
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 am

Ended a 15 day dry spell yesterday...... kinda ate my words from my last surf report claiming I was surfdowt. Lower back tightened up a couple days later and felt like I had a knife dug into it for about a week :x Lifting what felt like an 80lb bag of Goodwill items may not have helped after I was already a little stiff. Getting old blows :!:

Anyways uber grovel on new grovler. Small, weak, and sectionly. There were some CH sets that typically would have made for some right runners on the 300+, but they were walled. Zone seems a little to packed with sand right now :?: Cant say I had to many opps to put new stick on a rail, or bash it, but seemed to paddle and catch waves relatively well and had some good squirt. Might of been better as a quad for angling in and getting up and going the fast little sections :?: Waves aside, was a gorgeous clear and bright sunny autumn day and killed dat valley rot.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Lotta closeouts this Oct, some running waves, but tight peaks, and crowded which often frustrate midlife man. Nov has offered some quality to decent sessions tho....... saw an eagle cruising the line up yesterday.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:39 pm

yo...tried to get a session report in right before the OSP Forum crashed so I am a bit delinquent. My buddy from Corvalis was up to visit his parents in Manzanita a couple weekends back. I figured I would meet him at SS at first light.

6:50 AM- 8 cars already in the middle lot- with the shitter.

Forecast was for sun and five foot NW swell. It brought the masses. We surfed second creek for a while with only 5-7 people on it. As the swell filled in, the South end was getting most of the size and of course the crowds. After getting 10 -15 waves that were smaller....waist to chest, I decided to go get some on the south end.

Paddled out through the slew of renters and waited outside. After 10 minutes, a set came and everyone started to jockey for position. About five guys went for the first wave, the second wave was bigger/better and four more surfers were stroking for that one.

I waited for the last wave which was also the biggest. Me and one other guy started paddling for it. I had priority as I was directly on the peak. I felt the wave start to jack and I yelled to the guy on my left that I got it...he still kept paddling, I continued to pop and yelled again, I GOT IT....he still kept paddling.

Now I had to navigate the lip, the jackbag on my left and three kooks in the pit. I yelled again....I freakin GOT THIS and then dropped in basically under his board. So little respect, it really baffles me.

I went screaming down the line of this 7 foot wave and carved it up pretty good, dodging the renters and watching their jaws drop from fear of getting run over. I paddled back out looking for that kook that was paddling next to me but never saw him. I wanted to ask how the view was from his freakin drop in perch. Got two more and then paddled north.

Serious diversity in the water, a black man that seemed to be speaking Slovakian was really blowing everyone out of the water, caught and destroyed everything.

Long story short, weekends in OR have killed SS. Cars parked along the highway for a mile past the lots. Wont find me at that beach on a weekend ever again.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm

The North Coast was as crowded as I have ever seen it this Summer and Fall and it wasn't just at Shorties. This seems to be the case everywhere on the west coast, from the mountains to the ocean. Outdoor recreation was at an all time high in the West.

Surfed what used to be a lowish key spot 15 years ago at the beginning of the month that has actually been on the radar for a while now, granted sandbars tend to come and mostly go here year to year. It was kinda nuts. No parking. People posted up in vans and trucks, full on yard sales with all their gear in the road, etc.

As I was coming in a pack of 6 dudes were checking it. It seems six packs of millennials are the norm and don't get it during a pandemic :roll: I've been rolling solo as I most often do and when I have surfed with a buddy we have both driven. Last few sessions have been mellower and this rain and weather seems to have scared off the fair weather surfers, but winter has been busier for quite a while now.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Good waves today. And by good, I mean very good.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf