Change font size   Print view

It Needs To Be Said

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

It Needs To Be Said

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Black lives matter.

Surfers of color matter.

Kooks of all races... you’re still kooks. Hold onto your board.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: It Needs To Be Said

Postby Tex » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks for posting this Howly....I agree and feel like all segments of our society need to take a hard look in the mirror regarding silence and non-action on institutional racism and economic oppression. I put my thoughts out there via Instagram on the OSP links on Sat.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Agreed, Howly. I try to avoid getting political on forums, social media, etc. but 1) I don't think this is the time for silence and 2) I think - despite the best efforts of some vested interests to make it so - that this fundamental issue transcends politics. We all - regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, orientation, etc. - deserve equal protection and due process under the law and we all - regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, orientation, etc. - have an equal right to pursue life, liberty, happiness, and tasty waves as enshrined in our venerable constitution. This isn't a guns/butter political argument. This is about respecting and valuing the lives of all of our fellow human beings. We should all take time to reflect and question how we can be better to one another and start doing our part. If someone disagrees with that then they're the real kook, IMO.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:03 am

Agreed and not much more to add. Been out on the streets almost every day this past week and hoping for change.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Enjoying your pics on Insta ML...keep them coming!
Tex

Postby 2tone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:49 am

Well said Wolf. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum. A lot has happened in this world the last little while and I hope you are all keeping well. For those that are familiar with me, yes The Rev (I think that was the name Paul used here) and I are still on this island just north of you. We passed through six months ago and spent Christmas and New Years in California. It seems so long ago now. I woke up this am and for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on, I thought of this forum and you good people of Oregon so I thought I’d drop a line to say hello. Take care and be safe out there.
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:47 pm

2Tone- nice to see you pop back up on the ol OSP....would love some surf reports when you get a chance!
Tex

Postby 2tone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Hello Tex. We had a good few days of south swell a few weeks ago which was nice. Mellow and clean which I like... and ripable, which Paul likes. We have not surfed much since March. Parks beaches were closed for a few months due to Covid and have just recently partially opened again. Where do I begin without leaving a really long post? So much has happened and I stepped back from the news and social media for about a week for my own wellness. Our back roads offer some remote beautiful spaces to get away and recharge if you don't care about your truck's paint job and are willing to wear the 'West Coast Pinstripe' so we have been doing that more than surfing lately. The beaches are busy and the surf hasn't been that great that often. We haven't surfed for a few weeks and hope to soon. I'm hoping to check tomorrow. After about a week off, I just started watching the news again and H*LY F*C} Oregon!!! Are you all ok over there? Please stay safe. Please stay strong.
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Zzz
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby 2tone » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Wolf ~ oh nooo. Is your cat ok? Were you able to get the smell out? If yes, how? We have two cats and a cat door. They have free roam in and out of the house during the day and they get locked in at night cuz wolves and cougars tend to hunt at night more.

Thanks for the update on the Oregon protest. The footage I saw looked pretty crazy. One reporter did say to keep in mind that this is happening on about 3 blocks in downtown. We had our own protest in Ucluelet not long after the George Floyd murder. A lot of people turned up for such a small town. Part of the reason is that around the same time, a Tofino First Nations local, Chantel Moore, got shot back East 5 times by a cop during a wellness check. She has family in this area and both Tofino and Ucluelet had a march for one day. We actually covered it along with the speeches and prayers and it is on our Ukeedaze YouTube Channel.

Ucluelet is a tourist town of about 1,700 people and Tofino has about 1,900 people and then Millstreme and First Nations communities, there are about 5,000 people and tourism plays a big part of the economy in the area. We have some Federal and Provincial programs to support the people that have lost their jobs or had to shut down their businesses due to Covid. So far, Ucluelet has lost a bunch of businesses including one of our oldest art galleries and our one and only furniture store. Paul and I worked as much as we could when we got back from California in January because at that time, we were saving up for a trip to Mexico in April. When the shut down happened in March, Paul lost a lot of work so the $ we saved for that trip floated us through and Paul is working again. My office job sent me home with a laptop and I continued to work the entire time but from home. The island had 0 cases for three weeks (I believe in May) so we went to phase 2 and opened up gradually. We are now on phase 3 and a lot of places are open but at less capacity to allow for social distancing and proper sanitizing. Some places are apparently not adhering to the recommendations but I haven’t been checking so this is hearsay info. I am seeing more masks in the only grocery store we have in town. Paul and I are saving and prepping for the 2nd wave.

Surf at Wick was ok today. It was small and clean and both Paul and I got some fun ones on our fish. It is a long weekend here so it was kinda busy and it was raining slightly. Nice to be in the water though. Hope you are all getting some where you are.
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am

Yo 2tone tell Paul I said whats up! Remember we meet up at Sombrio like 10 years ago now :lol: (used to go by Dub Star)

Interesting Canada is only seeing 100 to 300 cases a day and that's country wide!!!!!

Portland has been in the cross hairs of our President. The BLM movement has been completely overshadowed by the Portland protest story and the federal police. Feds never needed to be here and the nightly protest numbers swelled when they arrived yet have declined greatly since they are no longer present. Also note many people downtown protesting were from out of town or state. Now we're kinda back to where it was prior to the Feds coming to Portland debacle. There seem to be about 50 to 100 humans playing a cat and mouse game around town with the local police and every other night or so it escalates. They do not seem to represent BLM and have an agenda of their own. They have looted and vandalized neighborhoods and business belonging to POC and upset local black activists and leaders. Portland continues to struggle politically while seeing an uptick in gun violence unrelated to the protests like many American cities. The rest of Oregon seems to be the same it ever was, with tourist areas like the coast jammed packed. Weird times for sure and that's about as political as I will ever get on the OSP :roll: Oh and according to Twitter Doc is still surfing........
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Zzzz
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby 2tone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:42 am

Wolf, I'm so glad to hear your cat is fine. I hope to never have to use that recipe. Hahah... It's good he is back on his patrol routine. I bet he will stay away from the skunks now... or not... maybe keep the baking soda solution ready just in case...

Hey Dub!!! Been a long time. Paul says 'hi' back. Ya, Canada is doing ok as far as numbers go. Though, according to Paul (I don't check this stuff as much s he does these days) we had over 600 new cases yesterday. 148 cases on the island now and 1 new case recently. British Columbia USED to be the 'model province' for dealing with Covid... but not anymore. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-analysis-august-surge-1.5679225 It's still not bad but the numbers are going up fast. Our mayor has announce a recommendation that people wear masks when indoors and unable to social distance. People in the community have expressed some concerns about sending their kids back to school in September.

We went to check Wick on Sunday and Monday. Drove away both times. Was fat and messy and yes, I'm referring to the surf, not the people. Cheers from this side of the border.
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 am

Word 2Tone. 600 cases nationally is nothing so to speak...... Oregon has had multiple days of 400+ over the last month and that's low compared to other states. Perhaps you guys are a little behind up there, but given were almost through summer that's pretty damn good. As the weather changes in the PNW people will start to stay home a lot more is what I am thinking.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm

Hamish is in "Soy-Landia" and taking in all the sites downtown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce8-ZTXfMM
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf